Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1636822)   #726
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Actually GT1 wasn't that bad, but LMP1 was IMO veryvery bad. I myself am an Audi supporter(Audi has been always my favourite car mark, was even before I discovered autosport) but still I think that with all those 30,000 test kilometres, the race was a little pale..

GT1 looks to be THE most reliable class. It's horrible how many LMP1s went out, all Courages + Swiss Spirit, Lister(ok, it was never a contender), Creation, + Zytek & Chamberlain in the pits for ages.

I wonder if there was ANY LMP2 that at one time or another didn't have troubles???

Overall, a good race, but nothing too special.

IMO, of course.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1636830)   #727
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SUPer RESULT for PANOZ
10 attempt from GTR1 Eperante- the LMP01 roadster - and the LMP07- finally in GT2 they take it with their Road going style Esperante
excellent a front engine V8 beats the Porsches! in a customer car no less!!
Old 18 Jun 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1636831)   #728
Animeishdwarf
Rookie

United States
Pennsylvania
Animeishdwarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to second that GT1 is probably the most sturdy and durable class there is.

Mostly because they don't have turbos or anything extremely tricky in that nature (turboed and supercharged engines are limited to 4000cc displacement, or half of a normally aspirated engine), or other really technical parts they have to work with like paddle shifters or waste gates, and they have sturdy transmissions, plus, they weigh more than LMP1 and LMP2 class cars.

Plus, since GT categories are strictly production limited, these cars have been road tested and are available at dealerships near you.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1636866)   #729
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeishdwarf
I have to second that GT1 is probably the most sturdy and durable class there is.

Mostly because they don't have turbos or anything extremely tricky in that nature (turboed and supercharged engines are limited to 4000cc displacement, or half of a normally aspirated engine), or other really technical parts they have to work with like paddle shifters or waste gates, and they have sturdy transmissions, plus, they weigh more than LMP1 and LMP2 class cars.

Plus, since GT categories are strictly production limited, these cars have been road tested and are available at dealerships near you.
Exactly the reason that as long as factory GT1s are around they can ALWAYS challenge for the podium overall. well as long as prodrive can be more like Corvette Racing.
The big question is how will the A/C systems work on the durability? personally think its a good idea, but the proposed temp limit is crazy, just keep it from the A/M range of last year. No drivers need to look like they are gonna melt when they get out.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1636868)   #730
Animeishdwarf
Rookie

United States
Pennsylvania
Calvin Fish from SPEED channel was talking about that. The head designer/engineer or someone high up like that for Corvette had a proposal-type thinger for the ACO that included devices such as more breatheable racing suits, more ventilation, and the major one *key here* a hose for air to enter into the driver's helmet (similar to NASCAR). I think that'd be easier, and less expensive then that A/C ludicrous.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1636869)   #731
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The Panoz result pleased me, too. I was around the team when they first came to Le Mans in '97. It was a pretty rough ride and you knew they were never going to win that year, but Don Panoz stayed upbeat and was going around saying, "Rocky always wins in the 12th!" You could tell he'd been bitten badly by the Le Mans bug and wasn't going to leave it there.

An awful lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then and now, at the tenth attempt, one of his cars has taken a win -

Last edited by strider; 18 Jun 2006 at 22:01.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1636872)   #732
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great race, great coverage (thanks MotorsTV!). Good fights here and there, I think LMP were the dullest battles overall....RML were the only car in the running for P2 with all of the others troubles, and Audi's only chance of losing was with mechanical issues, which hit #7 but not #8.

GT1 was close as anything between Prodrive and Pratt & Miller until gremlins hit the Aston's again, and GT2 was different every few hours!
Old 18 Jun 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1636889)   #733
Animeishdwarf
Rookie

United States
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
The Panoz result pleased me, too. I was around the team when they first came to Le Mans in '97. It was a pretty rough ride and you knew they were never going to win that year, but Don Panoz stayed upbeat and was going around saying, "Rocky always wins in the 12th!" You could tell he'd been bitten badly by the Le Mans bug and wasn't going to leave it there.

An awful lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then and now, at the tenth attempt, one of his cars has taken a win -
I also think it's fitting, that before the race, Don Panoz was presented with the "Spirit of Le Mans" award for his influence, changes, and overall positive contributions to the sport.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1636905)   #734
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brilliant race to follow, especially GT1 and 2. I couldn't help but feel depressed and devastated for Pescarolo. After qualifying they were so confident that Audi had set that 3'30 on qualifying rubber, Henri saying in an interview he thought audi had nothing more to give and couldn't and wouldn't sustain such lap times, even having an air of confidence. But this was completely shattered as the race started and the audi's rocketed away, the biggest blow finding out that audi qualified on race rubber. Their team just had nothing more to give, just praying on hope. You could tell pescarolo team was devastated, their race intentions being completely dashed.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1636908)   #735
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeishdwarf
I also think it's fitting, that before the race, Don Panoz was presented with the "Spirit of Le Mans" award for his influence, changes, and overall positive contributions to the sport.
I didn't know that, but you're absolutely right. Even nine years ago it was clear that he had some really big plans in mind, but I never though back then that things would develop as far as they have done.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1636940)   #736
Gir
Rookie

United States
In the Universe
Gir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I have to say is that it was an great race, but it would have been better if it rained.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1637002)   #737
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
One Aston was leading but broke down in the dying hours.
Yes, a clutch failure, which took about 30 minutes to replace. By my reckoning the Aston had been leading for the best part of 14 hours. Much as I admire the sportsmanship and organisation of the Corvette operation, I had really hoped that the Prodrive Aston team was going to pull it off this time, so I'm hugely disappointed, I must admit.

It was a great race however, and I, too, felt sorry for Henri Pescarolo. Great result for the Panoz in the GT2 class although at the expense of the Porsche which had problems in the final hour after it had been leading its class for so long; must have been heartbreaking! The Motors TV coverage was excellent!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1637123)   #738
Dagobert II
Rookie

Netherlands
Hengelo (O), NL
Dagobert II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
...I think LMP were the dullest battles overall....
Yeah... and especialy after Yoong drove the Dome Judd #14 into the tirewall at the first Hunaudiereschicane after almost 12 hours. Because RfH was catching up realy well with a lot of 3.40's/3.41's and an average racepace about 3.43
Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1637163)   #739
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert II
Yeah... and especialy after Yoong drove the Dome Judd #14 into the tirewall at the first Hunaudiereschicane after almost 12 hours.
To be fair when your throttle sticks open you don't really get a choice about where you crash or what into.

From Autosport.com:-

Yoong explained that the crash was caused by his throttle jamming.

"I was going into the chicane, and I went down to second gear and the throttle just stuck open," he added.

"Because it is a pneumatic gear-change and when the valves starts going the blipper sticks open. So it just blipped open. And I just went straight off.

"I went in head-first and that broke the steering arm on both wheels so I couldn't steer the thing."
Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1637175)   #740
Dagobert II
Rookie

Netherlands
Hengelo (O), NL
Dagobert II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Lammers explained later, on Dutch television;
'After several datacheckings on the telemetry, I can no others say then it was a driversmistake.'
But never mind if it was the car or the driver. In my opinion the race could be more interesting with the RfH Dome in race.

Last edited by Dagobert II; 19 Jun 2006 at 12:43.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1637218)   #741
Karsten Krogh
Rookie

Denmark
Aalborg
Karsten Krogh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 83#

The reason Porsche 83# had problem i the final hour was a broken gear stick. They had have problem with the gearbox so they had to pull/push very hard on the gear-stick to change gears. So being in too high a gear in a corner the engine stalled. They maneged to get the car in to 2nd or 3rd gear start the car and ease the car back to pit (After stalling once more just before the pits) In the pit they changed the gear stick and got back in the race with about 30 min to go. But by then the Panoz was leading with about half a lap.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1637220)   #742
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Seikel did a hell of a job for being a reserve entry
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1637419)   #743
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert II
But never mind if it was the car or the driver. In my opinion the race could be more interesting with the RfH Dome in race.
I agree with you there!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1637480)   #744
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the best race in my opioion. Once the Aston had a problem the main race was over, the cars had been tracking eash other for 20 odd hours, rarely more than 5 min apart.
OK the GT2 and LMP2 were close at the end but it was a sick car being chased by a slower but relialbal car. that I like about LM.

BUT seeing the least favoured ACO class (GT1) winner getting 4th overall would it had have not be more exciting if those cars could have a chance of victory ? Had the Aston/Chevy been allowed full potential it could have been a very exciting race.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1637514)   #745
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree with you totally, SL (missed you twice now at The DA, this year!). To me the GT1 class is the most interesting; I'd love to see a grid full of them, especially if we could get a couple more manufacturers to commit!
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1637521)   #746
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Agree with you totally, SL (missed you twice now at The DA, this year!). To me the GT1 class is the most interesting; I'd love to see a grid full of them, especially if we could get a couple more manufacturers to commit!
24 hours of Spa
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1637597)   #747
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
24 hours of Spa
No Vette there.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1637614)   #748
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had an absolutely fantastic time! And amazing food from Carlo (Le chien que fume...) all week (Even haribo for the "midnight feast" after qualifying...good stuff). Few random things, such as being "rescued" by English knights before being taken hostage and carried around over their shoulder, had large quantities of champagne and croissant, great seat for the start / finish to keep an eye on things (thanks Bentley03....) and really enjoyed everything. Cars were mega.

For someone that used to not like sportcars or endurance races....it was absolutely fantastic! Can't wait to go back next year And I won an apple tart too, that makes it even better
Old 20 Jun 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1637705)   #749
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Any pics of what was left of PWL's Porsche?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1637757)   #750
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
As far as I am aware (although they may be supported to an extent by the manufacturers) there are no large works entries in the GT1 class (Aston are run by Prodrive and Corvette are run by P&M). Ie privateers rather than works entries.
Whilst I too would love to see more manufacturers - i'd love to see them in the LMP1 class.
The mix of classes is one of the greatest appeals of LM for me.
On that note - the Porsche LMP1 news has gone rather quiet... anybody?

PS: Loved the race (even if not an absolute classic), but man it went quickly, even if we did stay down an extra night and come back Monday!