Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 12 Dec 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2087205)   #426
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
I amend it, just in case there are (or were) more unknown texan motogp riders:

Edwards is one of the best Texan MotoGP riders, perhaps with some doubts.
Well is he or isn't he??? That post seriously takes your credibility in dispute Schummy...
Old 12 Dec 2007, 18:56 (Ref:2087401)   #427
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Well is he or isn't he??? That post seriously takes your credibility in dispute Schummy...
Actually, credibility is not required for the position of forum host. We only need to promote discussion. How we promote the discussion is strictly at our discretion. You might think that we would take this opportunity to put forth well thought out and well placed posts. However, the cold reality is that this is a volunteer position with no perks whatsoever. Furthermore, we have the likes of Hazza, Dani and Marcus to lord over us. It is a thankless task. Quite frankly, I’m amazed at the content that we do manage to put forth. I solute my fellow Forum Host Schummy…one of the greats.

Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2087517)   #428
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Actually, credibility is not required for the position of forum host. We only need to promote discussion. How we promote the discussion is strictly at our discretion. You might think that we would take this opportunity to put forth well thought out and well placed posts. However, the cold reality is that this is a volunteer position with no perks whatsoever. Furthermore, we have the likes of Hazza, Dani and Marcus to lord over us. It is a thankless task. Quite frankly, I’m amazed at the content that we do manage to put forth. I solute my fellow Forum Host Schummy…one of the greats.

What a great fellow are you! You should be Australian.

Eh?, wait a moment! Volunteer? Are you meaning they don't pay you?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:32 (Ref:2087537)   #429
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes - prattling on mindlessly about nothing is what silly season is here for.

Speaking of which any news on Ilmor?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:57 (Ref:2087556)   #430
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was the last news? Were they planning on entering a bike? I honestly forget.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 03:19 (Ref:2087638)   #431
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
What was the last news? Were they planning on entering a bike? I honestly forget.
Err, I think they tested it recently...

Maybe they were trying to impress a new investor...
Old 13 Dec 2007, 10:24 (Ref:2087804)   #432
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No chance, you will never see them again unless someone comes in with millions, would you???
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2113442)   #433
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
As expected, Monster is confirmed as title sponsor for Kawasaki.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2113723)   #434
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that is good news that kwaka have a title sponsor...
Old 26 Feb 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2138668)   #435
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Stonie sounds a little bit angry.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 00:59 (Ref:2138849)   #436
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Stoner should perhaps consider anger management classes or some sort of therapy at least.

As we all know, anger is seldom a positive thing. If this spills over onto the track it can only spell trouble. I think he should sit out the first round whilst he sorts out his problems.

And let Rossi win one.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 00:22 (Ref:2140511)   #437
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well he is ****ed off, it might inspire him abit but as long as it's not too much so that he goes silly and crashes ala 06. with no disrespect to Capirex but Casey made him look amaturish last year and he so far has belted Marco, time will tell but i think he has a small right to be abit angry. even people on here were saying it's the bike etc yet look where Capi was but according to most it was the bike suited Stoner and not Capi, had roles been reversed Stoner would of been **** and Capi "a god" (as Rossi would say), as i said no disrespect to Capi as he has been great for Duc and MotoGP. Stoner does deserve more credit from people outside of Australia but thats IMO of coarse (totally unbiased).

Last edited by Pro Racer; 29 Feb 2008 at 00:24.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2140543)   #438
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I tend to see both sides of this. Looking at it objectively, Stoner clearly had a machine advantage at the beginning of last year. He didn't have to pass anyone in the twisty bits, as he could blow them into the weeds down the straight. But that was pretty much gone by mid season. He clearly rode like a champion all of last year. He made Capirossi look very ordinary indeed. And he's doing the same to Melandri. Both facts speak volumes about Stoner. But I don't think it's unfair to point out that Stoner gets on very well with the Ducati-Bridgestone package. That obviously has a lot do with his success. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out. He didn't get on well with the Honda and the results showed. So what? He's my odds on favorite to win the championship this year. And he'll be pretty tough with that chip on his shoulder. Everyone should beware.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2140913)   #439
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hehe, well to be honest its nothing new to have a bike advantage, Mick allegedly had one for a few yeasr in sort of 92 and 97 maybe, but noone really thought anything of it coz he wa acknowledged as being the best anyway.

The problem I think with Casey is that he has always been quick that much is clear, but not quick in the Pedrosa,Lorenzo,Katoh,Melandri,Biaggi,Bautista way, as in at EVERY track near enough EVERY meeting. I know he never really had a pukka MS bike or anything in 125/250 but he did ahve some good kit. Maybe that last year in 250 he really stepped up and showed everyone he was possibly the quickest??

In 05 he was throwing hissy fits all the time coz he couldnt get on with the bike. he kept losing the front. And it is clear that the Bridgesy really suit HIS style. He can push like hell and also the way the bike is designed and set up he can use the very different power characteristiocs of teh desmo to rocket out of turns.

The dela with straight line speed is not as clear as people think. Most of that was down to fuel consumption, the desmo system is very clever in that is is driven mechanically, helping consumption i would imagine, allied to the slipp bodywork the team could crank up the power far mroe than Honda or Yamaha could, remember these bikes are tunable in a whole different way to older stuff, you can regulate the power ferom 210 to 225 hp with the flick of a keyboard.

HRC WERE quicker at year end on the straights most times, Pedrosa was passing anything on the straights. I think Casey has simple proved that the whole package needs to be there. Whether he could win on a Honda or a Yamaha remains to be seen, but Vale has already done that so in most peoples eyes, as LAwson will be, he earns a little more respect.

Additionally, noone likes people who throw tantrums! Lorenzo take note!
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2140957)   #440
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I tend to see both sides of this. Looking at it objectively, Stoner clearly had a machine advantage at the beginning of last year. He didn't have to pass anyone in the twisty bits, as he could blow them into the weeds down the straight. But that was pretty much gone by mid season.
I agree Stoner's obvious top speed advantage was gone my mid season.

Interestingly, if you look at the stats from the recent IRTA Jerez test, the Ducati was only 6th fastest in top speed. ALL other manufacturers were faster than the Ducati.

1. Suzuki - Vermulean 268.3
2. Suzuki - Capirossi 267.1
3. Yamaha - Rossi 266.0
4. Kawasaki - West 265.4
5. Honda - Nakano 263.4
6. Ducati - Stoner 261.2

That's 7.1 km/hr down on the Suzuki and 4.8 km/hr down on the Yamaha.
Despite this Stoner's lap was 1.3 seconds faster than the next best (Rossi).
So it would appear that while the other manufacturers have been working hard on matching Ducati's outright speed advantage, Ducati have been working hard at improving cornering speed. As a result everyone has gotten faster but nobody has closed the gap to Ducati/Stoner.

Next week will tell us for sure. I can't wait
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2140962)   #441
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Erm Stoner set his lap time in teh soaking conditions when the tyres were workling at their best rather then the drier conditions later when the wet tyres would not have been any good at all, intermediates would be better.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2140974)   #442
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Good stats bestfit. But I think any top speed numbers from Jerez have more to do with outright acceleration and not sheer top speed. Which brings up an interesting point. One thing Stoner said they worked to improve on was low end acceleration. He said that was their weak point last year.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2140983)   #443
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
Stoner does deserve more credit from people outside of Australia but thats IMO of coarse (totally unbiased).
I’m getting sick and tired of all the whining about Casey Stoners accomplishments. He won the title in 2007 and he deserved it, nobody will argue with that. However, not everybody is Australian and therefore not everybody will leave his results unquestioned. When you look at Stoners results pre 2007, you’ll notice he was quick but fell a lot. He also couldn’t make the 990cc Honda his own in 2006. Besides that it what clearly visible that there was a bike advantage at the start of last season. I think that gives people the right to question if it wasn’t all down to his capabilities, winning the title. Trust me, he isn’t the first who’s being questioned, it also happened to Rossi when he first won in 500cc (just to name a person…).

Although Stoner comes across as a cheerful chap, he can sometimes moan for nothing. He’s the same on the bike, he sometimes just starts making handsignals when the smallest thing goes wrong. This doesn’t help his image (remember Biaggi?).

He won the title, he deserves where he is now, so there is no need to come up with figures why he has the #1 on his bike.

Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2141152)   #444
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Hehe, just watched a brilliant interview with Vale on BBC I player thingy, was very revealing if you go to teh sport site and click on teh Toseland thing, you will find the link on the player!

Some great opinions on Lorenzo and Stoner.

His best bit though was "I think in the past my advantage was me, the gap now is closer but thats not because the riders are better!"
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2141160)   #445
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 3 Mar 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2143570)   #446
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote from the WSKB PI thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
To me Foggy often had a bike advantage and he made it work for him. Same as Stoner.
I think this sums it up nicely. Yes, Stoner has a bike advantage. But he's the only one that seems to be able to use it (as opposed to Capirossi and seemingly Melandri). So yes, all credit to him.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2179293)   #447
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I see on motogp.com that Ducati are looking at having Biaggi and/or Bayliss test the GP8. This is confirmed by Livio Suppo. The reason, they want to see why Stoner is the only one that can ride the GP8. And since Biaggi and Bayliss are quick and have different styles, they might have some insight. Also, due to the testing regulations they had to look at other riders.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/D...i+test+rumours
Old 16 Apr 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2179369)   #448
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Nice. Ummm... maybe we will have news after some weeks about Ducati line-up.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 03:11 (Ref:2179453)   #449
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biaggi/Stoner, Marco bye bye.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2179570)   #450
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Biaggi/Bayliss, Stoner/Melandri bye bye