Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 2 Feb 2002, 20:38 (Ref:209174)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona 500

Ok, I'll be honest here.
I don't have a clue what to expect!
Craig, Invader, Lorna and I are jetting off to the states next week to go to the 500, and I haven't got a clue whats going on .
I am nieve, but willing to take in the experience and enjoy the event.
So, what can I expect?
Old 2 Feb 2002, 20:55 (Ref:209189)   #2
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky youze , I guess some warm weather , cold beer and stacks of racing enjoy yourselves

Not to mention a few scantilly clad biker-girls Oh wait that's bike week in march
Old 2 Feb 2002, 21:12 (Ref:209195)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Beer for me.
I'm only 20!
Damn your US Laws
Old 2 Feb 2002, 21:19 (Ref:209200)   #4
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I'm sure Craig won't mind buying you a few Unlike most US sports you won't need beer to enhance your enjoyment of the Daytona 500
Old 2 Feb 2002, 21:34 (Ref:209208)   #5
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think any serious drinking will be done in the villa as we can't even use Lee as a driver - hire car rules! That is, of course, if we are in the villa long enough.

NOT LONG NOW LEE! Only 6 days (or Mickey Mouse heads on the checklist) to go! Woohoo!
Old 2 Feb 2002, 21:34 (Ref:209209)   #6
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have your list of events? Speed weeks is huge. I also gave Craig a smaller dirt track & a list of events there.(gotta do the beach!)

What to expect?
HUGE crowds. Pricy food. & LOTS of exciting racing. I have another friend who is going- let me contact her & find out what she says for ya.
Old 2 Feb 2002, 21:42 (Ref:209214)   #7
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
(gotta do the beach!)

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to there
Old 3 Feb 2002, 01:42 (Ref:209295)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

Well, let me explain it BB---
A 20 year old kid---
Daytona Beach---
College girls in Bikini's---->>>
<<slap-slap>> use your head boy! What did you think I meant?

Last edited by Roselady3; 3 Feb 2002 at 01:43.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 02:28 (Ref:209315)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

i thought you meant breaking the speed record at the Beach in a car!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 02:43 (Ref:209325)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

Life isn't all racing dude!
(I can't believe I just said that!)
Old 3 Feb 2002, 02:59 (Ref:209335)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

exactly that's why God invented Daytona Bike Week, one whole week of jaw-dropping drooooooling entertainment
Old 3 Feb 2002, 05:05 (Ref:209359)   #12
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
exactly that's why God invented Daytona Bike Week, one whole week of jaw-dropping drooooooling entertainment
300 pound biker babes isn't my idea of drooling...think you'd be better suited @ Mardi Gra in N.O.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 07:13 (Ref:209402)   #13
Roselady3
Veteran

Speedweeks' Survival Manual - 2002
By Jeff Alan - Staff Writer
02/02/2002

OK, folks! Each year, as a public service to all race fans planning to attend the events in Daytona Beach, yours truly is pleased to present you a FREE guide to make your trek to Central Florida less stressful. After all, you're there to have fun, right?

I lived in this area for almost 10 years, and I can assure you that these time-tested tips will help you make the most of your adventure.

Getting There

If you're flying in, check the fares to various airports in the region. Although Daytona sports a pretty decent airfield, few airlines fly there directly, and most of it's traffic consists of crop-dusters and banner-towing bi-planes. There is more of the latter, than the former. This means higher fares and connections with long layovers. Alternative Airports: Orlando and Sanford. In Orlando, both Delta and Airtran fly there pretty cheap. Although you may wish to check your life insurance policy if you choose the latter. Try Tampa, or even Jacksonville. You may get some good fares if you fly into those airports. And if you haven't made airfare reservations by now, then money means nothing to you, and you might as well rent a cab or a stretch limo.

Don't overlook the Amtrak Auto Train. It rolls into nearby Sanford, and is a great alternative to flying in and spending bundles of loot to rent a car. And it's a great alternative to flying on commercial jets --- if you have the time. You can walk around during the trip, and you can even smoke. Try THAT on a commercial jet! Trains are a wonderful and romantic way to travel. To date, no racing fans plans have been derailed by these guys.

If you are driving, try to make your final stop for Gas in Georgia. Gas is cheap there. And make sure your A/C is in good, working order. Make sure you have good tires. The highways in Florida are paved with a mixture of asphalt, concrete and oyster shells ---- the latter is extremely abrasive to rubber, and worse when the roads are scorching hot. Remove any bumper stickers that say things like "Nuke the Manatees," and "Florida; Land of the Dimpled Chad."

Staying There

If you haven't made reservations for lodging by the time you read this, you may be SOL. In fact, you are SOL. Unless you already have reservations at a local hotel/motel (or a sympathetic in-law who lives in the area), you may have to look at lodging in nearby cities. Try DeLand or, of course, Orlando, which has more hotel rooms than the entire Nation of Sri Lanka. Sure, they want your first-born child for a nights stay, but then again, that's pretty much SOP for all motels near the sites of NASCAR races.

Daytona-area lodging establishments are hideously notorious for requiring multi-day stays and rates that would make an Enron executive flinch. They must get this arrogant attitude from NASCAR and the ISC, who makes no attempts to convince hoteliers to moderate their exorbitant rates.

And forget about roughing it in a tent. Florida has some of the most wicked creatures that God ever created: Two-inch Roaches (The Chamber of Commerce calls them ‘Palmetto Bugs') that fly, mosquitos as big as birds (birds that bite, too), and other assorted oddities that Entomologists have yet to identify. Oh. And they also love to eat things that sleep in tents. Get the Picture?

And don't even think of catching some Z's in your car overnight on speedway property. Unless you have an RV and cough up some extra jack to park in designated lots, the MHG's (Mike Helton Guerillas) will awaken you in a most unpleasant manner, and demand that you leave.

Tourist Traps

Translated from the Klingon language, the words ‘Central Florida' mean ‘Tourist Traps.' And there are plenty of them in Central Florida (Tourist Traps, that is). And during Speedweeks, they become hopelessly crowded with people eager to part with their hard-earned cash. Disney World, Sea World and Daytona Beach proper are places to avoid unless you are a real glutton for punishment, or don't mind the fetid odor of foreigners who don't know what underarm deodorant is. Best Bet: Hit the malls and fine eateries surrounding the more opulent hotels. It may cost more, and it might be hassle to find parking, but you have a good chance of meeting a driver at those joints. And if you park where there is a meter, make sure you feed it regularly. Otherwise, Daytona Police will tow your car away in a New York minute.

Speaking of tourist traps, if you plan to visit DaytonaUSA at the speedway, good luck. During Speedweeks, it transforms itself from what is normally a pleasant, exciting experience, into a Zoo. Plan on arriving at the doors by 4AM each morning. You might just be able to get inside by nine. And if you're really lucky, maybe even the same day you arrive !!

If you are looking for something to do when you aren't at the track, keep reading.

The Locals

If you didn't take Spanish in high school, you might want to bring along a translation book for when you get Gas or visit a 7-11. In Florida, there are more descendants of Ponce DeLeon than Alligators. Folks of Middle Eastern descent are particularly fond of managing convenience stores and Ramada Inns. Make sure you brush up on your Arabic.

If someone comes up to your car and starts washing your windshield and begins mumbling something in Spanish, simply reply "Mi Tio esta enfermo, pero la cara tiera rapido es verde." Which means, loosely translated, ‘My Uncle is sick, but the highway is Green.' You'll get a funny look, and the person will make a hasty retreat. You'll never be bothered again.

Try to ignore billboards. They can be misleading. For example; don't take the sign that says ‘Free Picnic Tables, One Mile' too literally. First of all, they are usually made of concrete, and you'll have one helluva time getting them into your car. And if you see a sign that says ‘All the Orange Juice that you can drink for a dime,' forget it. You'll get one very small glass, and that's all you can drink for a dime.

Race Day Traffic

You can tell the Daytona ‘Rookies.' They almost always plan their route to reach the speedway on US 92. Those in the know, however, will choose State Road 400, which runs ‘behind' the speedway. Take I-4 or I-95 to SR 400, and then park on the east end of the speedway that you access from Clyde Morris Boulevard. And even wiser are those who plan ahead and park in satellite lots and take free or low cost shuttles to the track. If you park on lots adjacent to US 92, be sure you are mindful that it becomes a giant, one-way street with westbound traffic when the race ends. Otherwise, you will be forced to exit in the opposite direction, and your only route out will be straight into the pits of hell. After the race, either leave the speedway immediately, or plan to wait at least four hours for the traffic to subside. While you're stuck in traffic, feel free to tune your AM radio to 1610 kHz and jam to the sounds of the Daytona Beach Regional Airport Information Announcements.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 07:14 (Ref:209403)   #14
Roselady3
Veteran

(Continued)
Best Places to Eat

If you are staying on or in the vicinity of US 92, there are plenty of places to chow down. Unfortunately, any restaurant near DIS property will be hopelessly clogged, and the lines (and waiting times) will be long. If you choose to eat at a restaurant near the speedway, make sure you eat before you go. By the time you're seated, you'll be ready to eat again.

But if you really want to savor some good grub, check out a place in nearby Port Orange called ‘Sweetwaters.' They've got ribs so tender the meat falls off the bone. And their seafood is so fresh, it still thrashes about in your plate when they serve it. Better yet, you won't need to hock your watch to eat there. Another good place for seafood is Aunt Catfish's fish house. But be prepared for long lines unless you're willing to slip the manager a $50 bill for immediate seating. Money talks, baby.

If money is no object, and you have the foresight to bring along a suit and tie, and you want to meet some big shots, try Sophie Kays on Daytona Beach. This is the posh eatery that was featured in the movie ‘Days of Thunder.' The food is four-star, the service impeccable, and the price ----- heck, the waiters carry magnifying glasses for on-the-spot appraisals of your jewelry just in case you can't pay the bill. But, if you want to belch alongside journalists, drivers, owners, and other assorted big-wigs, this is the place.

Best Kept Secret in Daytona: Have breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Halifax Regional Medical Center near the speedway. Don't laugh! Nobody would ever think of eating at a Hospital. But that's exactly why it's the best place in town! It's cheap. It's not crowded. And you'll always get a table..... fast. The cuisine (if you want to call it that) is a cut above airline chow. But if the doctors eat it, it's safe for you and I.

P.S: Don't forget your Immodium-AD. Florida water is a cut above Clorox.

Safety and Security

Like all tourist destinations, Central Florida sports it's share of crime. Therefor, we suggest you observe some common sense precautions. Park in well-lit areas only. This insures that potential criminals can clearly see you. Store and lock all valuables in your trunk. Seeing nothing in your car, thieves will break in to your trunk instead of breaking a window. It's much easier to secure your broken trunk lid with duct tape or bungee cords, than it is to line your smashed window with a garbage bag. If you observe gang activity near a Mall, simply yell ‘IMMIGRATION' at the top of your lungs. Those cats will disappear in a flash. And don't even think of carrying personal protection items like Pepper Spray. Criminals in Central Florida use that stuff as After Shave.

Additionally, never tailgate cars that have bumper stickers that say ‘I don't care How you do it up North,' or ‘My son beat up your Honor student at Zippy high school.'

As far as the track goes...... officials at the ISC have once again opted to take advantage of it's customers by banning large coolers, fanny packs, and camera bags from the grandstand area since there is a possibility that fans may bring food, drinks and ice inside the track, all of which have been proven to be a threat to the lives of other fans, drivers and ISC shareholders. Take along plenty of cash and keep it in your pockets. You will need it to purchase basic essentials like beverages and food. Ladies, don't forget to take any potentially embarrassing items from your pocketbooks, as they are subject to search. Come to think of it, they might not even allow you to bring the damned things inside the fence.

Off the Beaten Path.................

There is generally plenty to do in this area. After all, between Daytona and nearby Orlando, it's one of the most popular vacation destinations in America. And... assuming you have the time, and are down here for a vacation, take the opportunity to explore these places of interest.

If you absolutely must go to the beach, try to avoid Daytona Beach at all costs. It is maddeningly crowded with both race fans and general vacationers this time of year. Instead, try motoring 10-miles south to New Smyrna Beach. It's just as nice and half as crowded. And you can still drive your car on the beach. At night, during speedweeks, the New Smyrna Speedway hosts it's annual ‘World Series of Asphalt Racing.' It's an awesome program of late-model, truck, and bomber/enduro racing featuring drivers from all over the country. Sometimes, NASCAR drivers will sneak down there and hop in a car to ‘race with the boys.', or just sit in the grandstands and treat themselves to some homegrown, grass-roots, bumper banging short track action and nibble on the best damned boiled peanuts this side of Darlington.

If you want a nice place to swim, go canoeing or tubing in spring water, try the Wekiva Falls Resort near Sorrento. You won't have the crowds or the sand fleas that you will normally encounter at a public beach, and it's also a great place to camp if you don't mind dealing with all of the creepy-crawlies that are indigenous to this region. You can rent tubes and canoes and float down a meandering, spring-fed river, or bring a grill and cook-out while the kids play in the freezing cold water. It's cheap, and less crowded than any beach. Better yet, you don't have to worry about being breakfast or lunch for a hungry shark.

A trip to nearby St. Augustine is a wonderful, more visceral escape from the maddening crowds. And you and your kids might even learn some history. Aside from it's old-world charm, history and beauty, St. Augustine features a macabre museum that offers it's visitors some pretty freaky fare. There is the sedan in which JFK was riding in on that fateful day, and the bloody, crumpled remains of the car that Jayne Mansfield and her dog were killed in during a horrific crash. Oh.... and don't look for it in any brochures or tourists info. The St. Augustine Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Boards refuse to acknowledge it's existence. Just ask any local where it is. They'll tell you.

Another good outing is the Kennedy Space Center ..... about an hour's drive from Daytona down I-95. Plan to spend at least 4-6 hours there if you make the trip. There is a lot to see. And don't forget to buy your tickets for the bus tour. A good friend of mine says it's also a great place to scalp race tickets to foreigners looking for a thrill. Oh... I forgot .... do NOT buy the freeze-dried astronaut ice cream they sell in the gift shop unless you are giving it to your worst enemy. I'll give you a hint: They should give you a roll of toilet tissue with every pouch.

Finally, if you must go to Orlando and visit the theme parks there, take heed: Do not buy your tickets from places that offer ‘Discount' or ‘Free Tickets.' You'll see them on billboards all over the place. Don't be a sucker. You'll either have to take a tour of a timeshare resort to get your tickets, or the one's you buy won't be accepted by the parks since, oftentimes, they are multi-day tickets that are non-transferable. Buy your tickets at the gate and pay full price. Look at it as your gift to the local economy.

Don't enter Orlando during morning or afternoon rush hour unless you want to see what traffic in Los Angeles is like. Stop for gas before you enter the city so that if you do get caught in a seven mile-long traffic jam, you won't have to be pushed onto the shoulder when you run out while sitting on I-4.

Oh. I forgot. Don't forget your camera.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 16:47 (Ref:209689)   #15
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars
300 pound biker babes isn't my idea of drooling...think you'd be better suited @ Mardi Gra in N.O.
maybe that's what the biker babes are like in the home town of harley Davidon!

But World Superbikes attracts afew, which incidentall is fastly becoming my favourite motorsport event stateside

here's a few girls from the pit area

http://www.rockysbnb.com/laguna98/pitgals/pitgals.htm
Old 3 Feb 2002, 18:37 (Ref:209754)   #16
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, you should expect to have a great time. I highly suggest at the first caution of the race to go down to the fense at the end of turn 1 to see the restart with 43 cars all in a pack whipping by you. It will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up! They will let you get within 6 feet of the fense so long as you just don't stand there. If you go to any of the practices, there usually aren't very many security there and you can stand right up to the fense.

The race will develop the further it gets into the event as some teams will lay back and save the equipment for the end but usually the teams that win will try to get to the front by mid-race to see how their car handles in clean air and to get 5 bonus points for leading a lap. The last ten laps of the race are nail-biters because the Daytona 500 is one of the crown jewel events to win in the world and since there is a lot of shuffling in the draft from cars trying to get to the front. It is rather nerve-racking to see if you driver moves up front or falls behind. Then if he gets out front, to see if he can hold it because two or three cars can team up on him and pass him on the outside for the win on the last lap. So don't leave until the checkered flag has been shown because anyone can win this race in the final turn of the final lap. As they say, restrictor-plate racing is chess being played out at speed around 200mph.

The first things I noticed when I went to Daytona is how huge that track is and how relatively whisper quiet the cars actually were in comparison to the short track races I have attended. When the cars are on the backstretch, they seem like they are in a different world almost. You won't be able to see the backstretch real good unless your seats are roughly row 30 or higher.

I highly recommend visiting the Daytona USA musuem and taking in their movie. I would do this on a non-race day if possible when there will be less of a crowd.

As far as the crowd, you will see all types there (midgets, biker types, rednecks, blue collar types, white collar types, etc) but the crowd is usually well-behaved in comparison to crowds at most stick and ball sports. There will be a few drunks there as at any sporting event so hopefully you won't be sitting by one. Supposedly, 40% of the Daytona attendance are women which I can say seems about right. If the weather is warm there, some ladies wear swimming suits to the race.

I also suggest that you pick out a couple of drivers that you would like to win because it isn't as much fun unless you have someone to root for. I suggest Dale Jarrett or Tony Stewart.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 3 Feb 2002 at 18:55.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 18:57 (Ref:209768)   #17
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lee, have Craig buy your beers. No one is going to card you in the grandstands as long as you look close to 21.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 19:13 (Ref:209780)   #18
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron

maybe that's what the biker babes are like in the home town of harley Davidon!

But World Superbikes attracts afew, which incidentall is fastly becoming my favourite motorsport event stateside

here's a few girls from the pit area

http://www.rockysbnb.com/laguna98/pitgals/pitgals.htm
Thought you meant Daytona Bike Week? It's not like "as seen on tv". You'll see just as many as the "others" I've described too.

Last edited by Lars; 3 Feb 2002 at 19:14.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 19:43 (Ref:209800)   #19
Roselady3
Veteran

I know the one that Lars is talking about. He's right- Lot's of BIG ugly women. The men are usually old too. Beards down to their chests & UGLY!!! Most of them look like they haven't bathed in a couple of weeks. LOL. They show it every year.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 20:00 (Ref:209812)   #20
Roselady3
Veteran

I did get a reply from my friend.She didn't have alot of info- but this is what she sent:

Oh, dear, Rosie----
The one thing they should expect it huge numbers of odd-looking people
dressed in assorted drivers clothing. LOL

The best place for them to go, is Daytona, USA. There is an exhibit
of the history of NASCAR and racing at the beach. It will absolutely
give them everything they need to know. It's a crash course in
stock-car racing.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:06 (Ref:209925)   #21
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Have to do Daytona USA...get to see the previous 500 winner's car (Mikie Waltrip) on display & get a lot of history on racing in Daytona. I didn't go during speed weeks last year but when we were down there in '97 got to see Gordon's car on display...made Shortie happy (my youngest daughter) & the tire doughnut that Earnhardt put on his door after the race was over. Also, there is an auto museum just west of the speedway on the same highway...never been there but they have the '92 "Underbird" from the Atlanta race where Alan cliched the championship on display. I didn't go to the museum because they actually let the guy who restored her do some hot laps on the Milwaukee Mile with her...awesome sight...nearly cried.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:09 (Ref:209927)   #22
Roselady3
Veteran

You MUST rent a scanner so that you can hear the teams & drivers talking. Makes the race MUCH more interesting!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:20 (Ref:209934)   #23
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
You MUST rent a scanner so that you can hear the teams & drivers talking. Makes the race MUCH more interesting!
No offense Rosie, but if it's their 1st cup race...I usually tell ppl to stay away from a scanner & just take in the atmosphere & the roar of the engines & smell of spent fuel. But I'm sure you guys are experienced race fans...so it's a matter of preference.

Last edited by Lars; 4 Feb 2002 at 01:21.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:38 (Ref:209947)   #24
Roselady3
Veteran

It's a BIG race track. A scanner would give them more insight. They already know the smells & atmosphere of racing. Let them hear the details!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:48 (Ref:209952)   #25
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lars
No offense Rosie, but if it's their 1st cup race...I usually tell ppl to stay away from a scanner & just take in the atmosphere & the roar of the engines & smell of spent fuel. But I'm sure you guys are experienced race fans...so it's a matter of preference.

When THIS happens,you definately want to have that scanner!
Attached Images