Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3958259)   #101
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd say it's darker. Maybe they tweaked it in Photoshop? Publicity photos usually get a bit of a touch up.
yeah very possible!

the darker shade really works for me so i might be disappointed if it turns out to look the same as last year's on track/tv.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3958283)   #102
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd say it's darker. Maybe they tweaked it in Photoshop? Publicity photos usually get a bit of a touch up.
When I look at photos of the 2019 car, given how bright the color is, shadows, lighting and post processing of the images results in a variety of shades of pink.

In some photos it even looks like two different shades on the same car (not talking about the magenta accent).

That same photo from above is shown on the BWT site and the color match is very close to that which is used on their site (it seems blue and pink are their colors). In the end, I suspect it's the same shade as last year and what we are seeing is lighting/post processing differences.

As to it being pink. I never was a fan. I am surprised they don't change it up much. Given blue is also a predominate corporate color, I am curious why they don't use more if it than just on the logo/text.

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2020, 17:56 (Ref:3958285)   #103
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thankfully testing starts tomorrow as I just realized we have sunken to the level of discussing the shade of pink on the Racing Point car. Hopefully this is the low point of the off season!

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2020, 17:59 (Ref:3958286)   #104
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
right!

Kubica to get the first morning session in the Alfa.

cynically i could say its about his sponsor/money but i have to think its also about what Kubica can bring to the table in terms of feedback and development.

also kudos to his sponsor for their commitment to his career.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...-test/4687299/
Old 18 Feb 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3958287)   #105
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
His development skills are beyond question. Even if he doesn’t quite have the strength to race in F1 anymore, he still is very valuable in terms of feedback
Old 18 Feb 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3958288)   #106
Richard C
Veteran

Williams up and running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexjmwGa3Wk

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3958295)   #107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Williams up and running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexjmwGa3Wk

Richard
looking at the steering wheel...the display screen is mounted in the cockpit and not a part of the steering wheel?

this is unusual no?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3958297)   #108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
looking at the steering wheel...the display screen is mounted in the cockpit and not a part of the steering wheel?

this is unusual no?
So it is.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 19:07 (Ref:3958310)   #109
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

this is unusual no?
McLaren supply every dashboard. They say that Williams are unique in mounting it off the wheel. They've been like that for a while.

https://www.mclaren.com/applied/lab/five-f1-tech-facts-every-fan-should-know/
Old 18 Feb 2020, 19:57 (Ref:3958315)   #110
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
McLaren supply every dashboard. They say that Williams are unique in mounting it off the wheel. They've been like that for a while.

https://www.mclaren.com/applied/lab/...n-should-know/
knew Mclaren supplied the ECU but did not know they also supplied the dash. also never noticed that Williams have been doing it differently in recent years.

good knowledge and thanks for the sharing of it!

i suppose there is a logic in the screen staying upright as you turn the wheel but if the benefits were tangible you would think the other teams would have followed suit by now.

im curious to know Williams' thinking on this.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 20:55 (Ref:3958326)   #111
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

im curious to know Williams' thinking on this.
Apparently it is/was a Pat Symonds design feature that is intended to give a lighter steering input requirement by removing weight (and subsequently inertia) at the wheel. Connected to the level of input required by the driver during acceleration, it's now seen as just how Williams design their cars.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 22:14 (Ref:3958337)   #112
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
would the light weight also allow for more accurate steering inputs then?

or too bad the Williams' isnt going fast enough for anyone to notice?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 23:19 (Ref:3958349)   #113
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
would the light weight also allow for more accurate steering inputs then?
I am sure it's measurable. Will the drivers notice? I know the sport is about looking for ANY edge, but I question that they would notice any steering improvement. I suspect the display is relatively lightweight. I initial thought it might simplify steering wheel construction (simpler wiring), but then thought they might be using a serial bus and/or a type of connector that it may support it being on the wheel vs. chassis anyhow?

Frankly, I see the larger advantage of a static display that is not impacted by wheel rotation. But are drivers looking the display mid-corner? Probably not?

In the end, this is a better topic than the shade of pink on the Racing Point (but not by much).

Looking forward to talk about testing tomorrow.

Richard
Old 19 Feb 2020, 02:32 (Ref:3958365)   #114
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A Williams wheel and dash. No screen on the wheel I notice.
Attached Thumbnails
FCBC595C-446D-4294-90D6-DFEF5A5832DC.jpeg  
Old 19 Feb 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3958461)   #115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And none of those flappy paddles either, just a gear stick and manual clutch to change gear
Old 19 Feb 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3958517)   #116
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i guess there is something to be said about continuity...all the teams seems to be running relatively trouble free, running a lot of laps, trying out the different compounds.

everyone came to play today!

qualifying times from last year if anyone is interested in looking over an essentially meaningless comparison. of course i could have used last years winter testing times as a comparison but you cant tell anything from winter times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_S...classification

that said, Russell/Williams almost a second faster!
Old 19 Feb 2020, 16:13 (Ref:3958520)   #117
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
i guess there is something to be said about continuity...all the teams seems to be running relatively trouble free, running a lot of laps, trying out the different compounds.
Impressive isn't it? Day 1 and they're piling in the laps - pretty much all teams breaking the 100 lap barrier at this stage.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3958545)   #118
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

At that time,about 35-40 years ago ,driver displays were a bit basic.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3958594)   #119
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

everyone came to play today!

qualifying times from last year if anyone is interested in looking over an essentially meaningless comparison. of course i could have used last years winter testing times as a comparison but you cant tell anything from winter times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_S...classification

that said, Russell/Williams almost a second faster!

Racing Point and Williams seem to have made the biggest gains.

I think we can just ink Hambo in for the title too.

Last edited by wnut; 19 Feb 2020 at 21:47.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 22:26 (Ref:3958611)   #120
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Racing Point and Williams seem to have made the biggest gains.

I think we can just ink Hambo in for the title too.
Ferrari shone in testing last year.

title is far from inked
Old 20 Feb 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3958691)   #121
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting feature on the Merc that seems to adjust toe via the steering wheel/column: https://twitter.com/SavlarSVK/status...24820141232130

Scarbs' estimate of how it works: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...38962566705152

I love this sort of stuff and F1 is great at generating it!
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:32 (Ref:3958746)   #122
S griffin
Veteran

A lot of talk about how similar the Racing Point is to the Merc of last year or this year. Maybe it’s a sign of their intentions. I can see them moving up the grid this season
Old 20 Feb 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3958756)   #123
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Interesting feature on the Merc that seems to adjust toe via the steering wheel/column: https://twitter.com/SavlarSVK/status...24820141232130

Scarbs' estimate of how it works: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...38962566705152

It's interesting that it's dramatic enough that you can actually see the toe change as he moved the wheel!

Richard
Old 20 Feb 2020, 15:15 (Ref:3958763)   #124
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post

Obvious headline: "Was ist DAS?"
Old 20 Feb 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3958769)   #125
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Obvious headline: "Was ist DAS?"

it is pretty crazy that you can actually see the wheels move.

so far it seems like a legal innovation and if effective, and i am just guessing here, but one that would be difficult for anyone to copy at this stage?