Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Oct 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1427876)   #1
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Celebrity Who Said "Gentleman Start Your Engines"

Biggest race of the season, so AVESCO got somebody real special to do it.

Says it all really, a certain somebody has a very large opinion of themselves.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1427917)   #2
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
next year Tony is going to sing the national anthem as well
Old 9 Oct 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1427935)   #3
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He might be loud and brash, but he has done more than anyone else to get the category to where it is today. Onya Tony. Keep up the good work.

But next year - get someone with bigger tits to do it!
Old 9 Oct 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1428180)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the A1 GP creator and chairman, Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum started the engines at Brands Hatch, it may be because it was the first ever race, but either way, he did it.

I don't really like Tony, and i see where you are coming from with it being he who is starting the cars, but it is the best V8 event, and he had done a lot for the category, it isn't as though he is launching the Australian Motorsports Showdown or something. I wouldn't say what he did was outrageous
Old 9 Oct 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1428190)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He also put in the mention about the level of the touring car championship. When someone constantly repeats himself on such matters, you start to get to the point where he is trying to convince others instead of actually believing in it.

Keep it Tony.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1428203)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
He also put in the mention about the level of the touring car championship. When someone constantly repeats himself on such matters, you start to get to the point where he is trying to convince others instead of actually believing in it.

Keep it Tony.
I can't blame him for saying that as this is my favourite touring car series as well.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1428344)   #7
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the best bit was no one actually started their engines until after they were waved off by the marshall.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1428506)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I can't blame him for saying that as this is my favourite touring car series as well.
However when he (and Avesco) is the only one saying in public, time and time again I wonder who he is trying to convinve.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1428743)   #9
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference between TC and the Shiek is that the Shiek is the man behind the series, it's as simple as that, no Shiek, no A1GP.

Bathurst was the great race a long long time before TC came on the scene, it is a race that is bigger than the catagory. Fair call him starting any other round, but Bathurst is the biggest, the biggest by a long long way.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1428875)   #10
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

However when he (and Avesco) is the only one saying in public, time and time again I wonder who he is trying to convinve.
Hes trying to promote the race and the category, he has invested millions into the sport. V8 supercar is one of the best tin top category in the world, with very competitive drivers. Ive noticed that alot of people here bag anything australian.

I used to love F1 but now think its boring, however I still love my action packed V8.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1428926)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
I used to love F1 but now think its boring, however I still love my action packed V8.
Mustn't have left the telly on after "The Great Race" last night.

There was an even greater race on after it.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:29 (Ref:1428958)   #12
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is not Aussie Bernie TC his own celebirty in his own mind
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 10 Oct 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1428975)   #13
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
he has invested millions into the sport.
<cough> more like MADE Millions my friend, I don't think he's put his hands in his pockets as yet considering the profits SEL makes each year.

Unless you consider using other peoples money (sponsors, track owners, government, etc) investing in the sport.

V8Supercar is a business and all about maximising the return to the shareholders not about improvement in the sport of motor racing in this country.

This whole subject has been discussed at great length in here and on othe forums for a long time so I'm not about to go over it all over again.

I have to agree that the Start Your Engines command could've gone to someone more high profile to the general public.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1428979)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
does it really matter ?

who said it in 2004 ? or 2003 ? or 1990 for that matter ?

its a person telling the drivers to start their engines , I couldnt care less who does it or even care if they do it at all.