Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jan 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3350483)   #226
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine is from roush Yates. Shank also swapped an engine yesterday because of coolant consumption.

I am personally not surprised, though this is a race engine and the problem is in the headers I am convinced this engine won't last. As a ford fan and ford mechanic I want a ford to win eventhough I cant stand ganassi or shank.but what I have seen in the production engine and all the failures and complaints across different platforms(f150,Taurus,flex,mkt,mks) is not convincing and has me worried for the fords.the power is there and its a great idea design wise, but reliabilty hasn't been hit or miss, it's been now or later.

I hope they get it together or ford will look silly, should of ran the new coyote 5.0 engine, even that gets better milage in a f150 than the ecoboost.

Also I think the bell's was a father and son team, I know they ran Le Mans but I don't remember if they did daytona.
Edit:yes it was justin and Derek bell raced together at Le Mans but not finding any history at daytona.

Last edited by Lagunaseca_4life; 5 Jan 2014 at 03:48.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3350488)   #227
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
John Paul, Sr., and John Paul, Jr.

With help from Rolf Stommelen at Daytona, they are still the only team that has ever won the Daytona 24 hours and the Sebring 12 hours in the same car (Porsche 935) and in the same year (1982).

Not bad.

Andy Flinn
Ah, Very good!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 03:50 (Ref:3350491)   #228
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Also I think the bell's was a father and son team, I know they ran Le Mans but I don't remember if they did daytona.
Edit:yes it was justin and Derek bell raced together at Le Mans but not finding any history at daytona.
They raced Jim Derhaag's tube frame Trans-Am Corvette at the 2003 Rolex24.

Andy Flinn
Old 5 Jan 2014, 04:03 (Ref:3350493)   #229
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Engine has the same base as the Roush/Yates engine in the Libra car, and yes, the EcoBoost V6 is also built by Roush/Yates, as with almost all major Ford Racing backed programs as far as I know, in specific NASCAR right now.

Almost makes the old 5.0 Cammer V8 sound good right about now, or the 5.0 Dinan BWM, or even the GM 5.0/5.5 liter pushrod V8s.
There isnt a shedload of time to get the Ford engine sorted though
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jan 2014, 04:50 (Ref:3350496)   #230
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From DSC's gallery https://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=20376

Either they only had the one piece rims on the rear to push it around the paddock or someone dun goofed and they went out on those....
Old 5 Jan 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3350512)   #231
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that too, but if you look for some reason Wtr used different rear wheels than everyone else last season, everybody had the deep dished wheels and Taylor's weren't very deep if at all.

That is one of my biggest annoyance with the dp regs only allowing on piece wheels in the front and not on the rear, makes them look stupid funky.i like the look on Taylor's dp with the one piece wheels in the rear even if they are not dished.imagine they would look sweet if they had rear wheels like the ones on muscle milks hpd from last season.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3350516)   #232
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the paddock video Lanky Turtle put up and noticed that both AXR DPs had the exhausts coming out of the back while the other Corvette DPs had sidepipes. I remember AXR using sidepipes and the SoD car using ones that came out of the rear at earlier tests. I find the switch interesting.

Just a random thing I also noticed is that #27 GTD 911 has two exhaust pipes versus the single one on the other 911s.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3350557)   #233
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
* moved to ´rumours´ thread. *
Old 5 Jan 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3350558)   #234
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
6)Great Taylor family story. Has there been other Father /Son teams? Maybe
Dyson, but I cant think of any others.
Mario and Michael, 1984, the intro to the US of the 962...

"The 1984 event witnessed the debut of the Porsche 962. Although co-drivers Mario and Michael Andretti
would retire the factory entry with gearbox problems while leading, the initial performance of Porsche's
latest prototype gave a strong indication of its future winning potential."

Last edited by jimclark; 5 Jan 2014 at 11:40.

jimclark
Old 5 Jan 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3350584)   #235
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
The engine is from roush Yates. Shank also swapped an engine yesterday because of coolant consumption.

I am personally not surprised, though this is a race engine and the problem is in the headers I am convinced this engine won't last. As a ford fan and ford mechanic I want a ford to win eventhough I cant stand ganassi or shank.but what I have seen in the production engine and all the failures and complaints across different platforms(f150,Taurus,flex,mkt,mks) is not convincing and has me worried for the fords.the power is there and its a great idea design wise, but reliabilty hasn't been hit or miss, it's been now or later.

I hope they get it together or ford will look silly, should of ran the new coyote 5.0 engine, even that gets better milage in a f150 than the ecoboost.
Well, not counting the Porsche boxer 6 (which isn't an actual V-engine), only two teams have won Le Mans with a V6 engine: Renault in 1978 with the 2.0 liter turbo 90 degree V6 in the Alpine 442, after many DNF's the previous couple of years, and Audi, with the 3.7 liter TDI 120 degree turbo diesel in the variants of the R18, and with their only two DNF's being accident related.

The nearest engine I can compare the EcoBoost to is the 3.0 turbo/twin turbo V6 that Electramotive/NPTI used in the Nissan GTP cars. However, that's a hard comparison because they rarely ran the 24 with it (they did in 1990, and both cars were rapid but also didn't finish), and Nissan threw a lot more money and resources at their GTP effort than Ford seems to be doing with the EcoBoost, or anything that's not directly NASCAR related.

One problem with a V6 is vibrations, especially 90 degree engines, which I believe that the EcoBoost is a 60 degree engine, but the problems that MSR report seem to be vibration related.

I'm also a bit leery of the 24 hour dyno test that Roush has planned. It's not quite the same as having the engine in the car, and as Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullrich said in a video that Michelin produced after Le Mans this year with Audi Sport, 24 hours is nice, but not quite enough to validate that you have a good chance of surviving 24 hours of Le Mans or anywhere.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3350600)   #236
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparent damage done to the Snow Racing Porker...

Marco Seefried "evaluated and released" from infield care center. Something broke around the backstretch busstop area...

Also in the busstop area, ESM and Van Overbeek had a shunt.

Quote:
·Johannes van Overbeek crashed the No. 2 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b at the Bus Stop shortly after the 10:15 a.m. session began, telling the team the car snapped sideways before sending him into the barrier nose-first. He was evaluated and released from the infield car center. The car sustained a fair amount of damage, but looks to be easily repairable. whether those repairs can be made before the second and final of the event is unknown.
From MP and "RACER":
http://www.racer.com/imsa-roar-befor...rticle/327978/
Old 5 Jan 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3350606)   #237
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some teams have been talking about skipping the final session if it rains. This seems like a missed opportunity to me. Nobody can predict what the weather will be like on race day so why not do some wet running just in case?
Old 5 Jan 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3350610)   #238
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some teams have been talking about skipping the final session if it rains. This seems like a missed opportunity to me. Nobody can predict what the weather will be like on race day so why not do some wet running just in case?
Agreed. Seems that there is always some part of the 24 that is wet, and I'd bet the house that there would be at least one wet race in 2014 .
Old 5 Jan 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3350612)   #239
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gabby Chaves now in the Deltawing.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3350617)   #240
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of cars sliding in the corers, the Action Express DPs, and all the Audis seem to be the worst (couple of the Audis got almost sideways in the East Horeshoe.) Valuable test data surely.

If it rains this afternoon, teams would be crazy not to test. They obviously don't have a firm grip on the warm-weather set-up, sure they don't know the wet set-up.

Another engine issue for the Mazda ... I like the team and hope they succeed, but if I was in charge of Team Mazda logistics I wouldn't bother hiring a caterer for the 24--they won't last 'til dinner, I fear.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3350619)   #241
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I was watching the paddock video Lanky Turtle put up and noticed that both AXR DPs had the exhausts coming out of the back while the other Corvette DPs had sidepipes. I remember AXR using sidepipes and the SoD car using ones that came out of the rear at earlier tests. I find the switch interesting.

Just a random thing I also noticed is that #27 GTD 911 has two exhaust pipes versus the single one on the other 911s.
DP move was for running the full diffuser.

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3350622)   #242
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Gabby Chaves now in the Deltawing.
Okay, and....???

jimclark
Old 5 Jan 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3350628)   #243
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Okay, and....???
No need to be an ass about it.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3350639)   #244
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No need to be an ass about it.
Again, I'll bite. An arse about what? A different driver is in the car and what are we to expect? What's the problem with the question?

jimclark
Old 5 Jan 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3350650)   #245
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a longer video from yesterday with different views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AknxOI5J8y4
Old 5 Jan 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3350657)   #246
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post

Good stuff. Thanks!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3350661)   #247
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Thank you!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3350662)   #248
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Quote:

Awesome,thanks for sharing.anymore footage from turn one coming off the tri oval? Crazy sense of speed you captured there, how was that spot seeing it in person?
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3350673)   #249
JoeMaters
Racer

JoeMaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope those Mazda's aren't showing them full speed cause for now, they are slow as hell....
Old 5 Jan 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3350674)   #250
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Again, I'll bite. An arse about what? A different driver is in the car and what are we to expect? What's the problem with the question?
The original post required knowledge that people would know Chaves hadn't been on the entry list.

The fact he was turning some laps is news and is interesting. Just because you didn't have said knowledge doesn't mean you need to belittle someone else. Why even comment?