Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 5 Jul 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2244354)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Future drivers

Just watching F. BMW from Sepang on TV and there is a British driver called Kazeem Manzur. After checking on Wikipedia it seems he did well in karting, so seems to have a lot of potential. While he is British his background is Pakistani, so perhaps Pakistan will have a good driver available in a couple of years and Adam Khan will have to fight him off.

I wonder what other potential drivers are out there for the developing motorsport nations in A1GP. Anyone know any to keep an eye on?
Old 5 Jul 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2244821)   #2
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jazeman Jaafar for malaysia maybe !!

He was the youngest to win FBMW Asia as a 15 year old..
currently in FBMW Europe..
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2246886)   #3
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkfan
Jazeman Jaafar for malaysia maybe !!

He was the youngest to win FBMW Asia as a 15 year old..
currently in FBMW Europe..
Yeah, he's got potential. Good kid and surprisingly very mature for his age. Because of his age he should have a few more seasons before driving in a proper race for Team Malaysia.

He is now experiencing how tough it is to race in Europe. He is struggling but the experience is very important for him.

He was invited last year to the WilliamsF1 HQ.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2244891)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the trick is to work out the no.1 driver from a non motorsport nation (ie look left <---). Then you can gauge what potential a nation has, and look at the money they have to throw at it.

So take a look at at say Niger, who is the top driver? oh no drivers at all. - No team. And it may be worth looking at 'european' drivers with dual heritage, like khan or Lewis Hamilton...
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2246992)   #5
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for asian teams i should say you should keep an eye on

malaysia: jazeman jaafar (petronas is lifting him up)

china: zhu da wei (formula asia 2.0 revelation)

indonesia: rio haryanto (15 years old and quick now)

korea: recardo bruins (he was quick in german and he is haf truism)

pakistan: nobody. kazum is british national.

lebanon: nobody.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2247193)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak

That does not matter, he has Pakistani heritige so would be eligable.

If David Zhu is all China has coming up then they must be hoping Frankie Cheng will keep will be driving for many more years to come.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2247963)   #7
Lam Pak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
If David Zhu is all China has coming up then they must be hoping Frankie Cheng will keep will be driving for many more years to come.
im chinese and im most offended i've ever been. dont huck the chinese drivers.zhu is showing he is very quick in asia. cheng is better now but he needed many time in europe to get quick. china hasnt been a country for sports cars and now that we are coming to conquer the world there is always someone trying to tear us apart. zhu is the perfect driver to be second to cheng and dont see other chinese upcoming driver to overshadow him.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2248096)   #8
kfsracer
Rookie

kfsracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offense Lam, but David Zhu is nowhere near Frankie's level... I agree that it took a long time of european racing for Frankie to get where he is...but still, even before going there if was at completely another level than Zhu...

I'm not saying chinese can't have good driver, sure they will, but I can't say I agree on Zhu being the next hope or being able to partner Frankie in an A1 car.. At this moment Chinese officials should try to implement a better ladder system in China with promotion and discovery of real talent, without the whole politics in the middle as is the case at he moment.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2248358)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsracer
No offense Lam, but David Zhu is nowhere near Frankie's level... I agree that it took a long time of european racing for Frankie to get where he is...but still, even before going there if was at completely another level than Zhu...

I'm not saying chinese can't have good driver, sure they will, but I can't say I agree on Zhu being the next hope or being able to partner Frankie in an A1 car.. At this moment Chinese officials should try to implement a better ladder system in China with promotion and discovery of real talent, without the whole politics in the middle as is the case at he moment.
Well said. I hope more better drivers emerge from China in the next few years. But sadly without a proper racing ladder in place I can't see it.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2260106)   #10
tracksracin
Rookie

tracksracin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
for asian teams i should say you should keep an eye on

malaysia: jazeman jaafar (petronas is lifting him up)

china: zhu da wei (formula asia 2.0 revelation)

indonesia: rio haryanto (15 years old and quick now)

korea: recardo bruins (he was quick in german and he is haf truism)

lebanon: nobody.
4 pakistan reese khan italian champ in gt dtm
Old 8 Jul 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2247329)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably one for the longer term, but the Indian team is providing some financial support for Coventry based kart racer Rossano Bhandal.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2247649)   #12
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Probably one for the longer term, but the Indian team is providing some financial support for Coventry based kart racer Rossano Bhandal.
Is he from India and has moved the the UK early or is he British of Indian origin? If the former it is a good idea to move to a developed motorsport nation earlier rather than later.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2247944)   #13
eveningladies
Rookie

United Kingdom
York
eveningladies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think it's a great shame that Craig Dolby has so far not been let loose in the GB car.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2247375)   #14
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard for A1GP Britain in season 4

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2247446)   #15
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kazeem Manzur has been very impressive in karts and cars. It's been fun watching his progress in Formula BMW. The former Zanardi Kart hotshoe has a bright future.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2247606)   #16
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow ..never heard about some of those drivers....will be keeping an eye on Rossano !!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2247616)   #17
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkfan
wow ..never heard about some of those drivers....will be keeping an eye on Rossano !!
Rossano actually picked up his A1GP backing from India after running out of funding. He sent a letter to the team requesting support...must have been a good letter. Let's hope he doesn't rush his development as that seems to be a growing trend.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2256455)   #18
tracksracin
Rookie

tracksracin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rossano is the only indian driver. i now of has done top level karting in the uk.from the age of 6 now hes 13 .impressive racer he is. i been in raceing over 25 year seen the lad race .boy hes gote a big future. time on hes side
Old 10 Jul 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2248486)   #19
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about 15-year-old AFR racer Cao Hong Wei? His currently 2nd in the series behind his team mate - and ahead of Jim Ka To. For sure the level of Asian FR isn't great right now because of the split, but I still believe he may become a good racer in couple of years...
Old 10 Jul 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2248592)   #20
Lam Pak
Veteran

you have reason when you say the fasc doesnt promote young drivers but you are wrong when you say zhu dai wei isnt in congfu level. congfu was nothing when he left china. he spent 4 years in england doing damages in fr2.0 uk. your empirical think confirms a number of equilibrium relationships implied by a1 team china.

any way do you have any other chinese to second congfu? i see 3: zhu dai wei, michael ho & hanss lin

cao hong wei? cao is 2 cause the afr level is amateurship and he races with a factory car (pekka=frd=organisation of championship=extra hp). dont compare him to zhu dai wei pls. open your eyes pls.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2248629)   #21
kfsracer
Rookie

kfsracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
you have reason when you say the fasc doesnt promote young drivers but you are wrong when you say zhu dai wei isnt in congfu level. congfu was nothing when he left china. he spent 4 years in england doing damages in fr2.0 uk. your empirical think confirms a number of equilibrium relationships implied by a1 team china.

any way do you have any other chinese to second congfu? i see 3: zhu dai wei, michael ho & hanss lin

cao hong wei? cao is 2 cause the afr level is amateurship and he races with a factory car (pekka=frd=organisation of championship=extra hp). dont compare him to zhu dai wei pls. open your eyes pls.
Frankie was not bad went he left China. He had won the AFR and while he was not at the greatest level I believe he was better than David Zhu now is. I'm telling this having talked about it in the past with Frankie's instructor at the time (who also had David Zhu for a few sessions)...

Regarding Cao Hong Wei, can't tell as I am not closely following FRD championship.

Forget Michael Ho... Hans Lin isn't great but would be the best out of the three you mentionned...
Old 10 Jul 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2248715)   #22
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry to make this thread a bit political but AFAIK Hans Lin is Taiwanese and NOT Chinese, even if China would love to see Taiwan part of the chinese Empire...

Regarding Michael Ho... well why not Jo Merszei... no seriously i guess the only one who could be able to drive this new A1GP car would be Chinese Hong Kong driver Marchy LEE, who is a decent driver
Old 11 Jul 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2248973)   #23
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Please keep politics out of it, this is a motorsport forum. Also please stay on topic, there are separate threads to debate the merits of the various Asian region championships.

In my opinion none of these drivers are or will in the future be near Cheng Congfu's level. Cheng was good in Formula Renault before he went to the UK, although as he now states it was in years in the UK that made him into the driver he is now.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 06:33 (Ref:2248992)   #24
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if for you "Kiwi3" none of this drivers are at the Level of Cheng Congfu, then it tells all the story of China Motorsport level...

Cheng Congfu was part of the McLaren ,if i am not wrong, a well as Mr Lewis Hamilton. Cheng Congfu is the most experienced that the Formula Renault UK has ever had , 63 starts, and no win in the main championship.

I am sorry i still rate Marchy Lee for much better than Cheng Congfu, even if he is not anymore a "Future Driver"

What about Jiang Tengyi , Ma Qinghua ?
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2249178)   #25
Lam Pak
Veteran

kiwi3 i'm bored out of my mind of your sometimes mummy speech therapist and social trainer. people knows what he want to talk. a chinese-tainese guy like hanss lin is not politics. he has been also called by a1 team china for testing last year. on the other hand, stop blaming the chinese driver series on high pitch than normal voice with a sharpening of vowels. good results in good championships makes us understand who is good and who is not. isnt that about the future drivers? gotta?

2nd driver for cheng needs to be young. zhu is healthy and young. marchy lee had his period but gotta **** on a1 team china cause they didnt let him race in zhuhai last year. he went mad and no longer can race for china. hanss lin is a celebrity in taiwan and dont want spend time beeing just rookie. he is proud of his skills. cao hei, zheng dong, jim ka to are not prepared yet. jiang tengyi and ma qing hua are no longer racing. i don't know when I
we will see them again.