Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Mar 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1867739)   #126
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thanks guys
Old 17 Mar 2007, 18:47 (Ref:1869346)   #127
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
regarding people getting a start from pics off of here - yes I know its happened as Mike and Gav know!

but theres always a need for a good snapper - for example we are really short on shots from US ovals (excluding the big series) - Russian and Chinese motorsport? nowt - Japan - lots of snappers but only 2 or 3 who sell to the UK.... plenty of scope...

A few years ago I competed at an event at Lydden and there were NO snappers there. I'd certainly have bought some prints. Recently MN and Full Throttle ran stories on the 1400 challenge - pics were a pig to come by. The only snapper who shoots at North Weald (on 7oaks days) refuses to sell to the press and tends to only shoot 7oaks members. So theres a potential market. I urge many of you to give up on the biggies which are almost over photographed and look elsewhere, sprints, hillclimbs, clubbies etc even grass autotests... If there had been an established snapper at Snetterton when the DBR9 rolled out Mike would still be flipping burgers I suspect but he was there covering something no-one else bothered with now he has a shiny new job.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1869382)   #128
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely true. As my boss says there's not a lot of talent involved in motorsport photography any more, but a bit of luck can go a long way...

I hope he didn't mean me specifically there!
Old 18 Mar 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1869945)   #129
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Heres another question then - books, commission shots and archive shots?

I have quite a number of shots that would now be considered archive (does that mean I am old!) taken 20 -30 years ago. While being far from pro standard they do attract interest from time to time from historic magazines, club mags and the both the original owner/driver and the new owner looking to document the history of a car or maybe sell it.

I don't always charge, but have done if someone wants the image rescanned, will publish the picture or is an agent trying to sell a car and has ripped an image from the web!

The amount I get varys between £5 to £35 plus I aways ask for a free copy of the book or magazine. I would not deny that vanity plays a part, having my name in a mag or book is also a factor.

I have also given various web sites access as I think it is important to document these cars with period shots if possible.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1871394)   #130
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A few years ago I competed at an event at Lydden and there were NO snappers there. I'd certainly have bought some prints.
I'll be there snapping for quite a few this year... But I'm often not exactly crowded by the competition so point made.

Roll on the 7th April!
Old 19 Mar 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1871583)   #131
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If there had been an established snapper at Snetterton when the DBR9 rolled out Mike would still be flipping burgers I suspect but he was there covering something no-one else bothered with now he has a shiny new job.
A lot of hard work and plenty of miles went in between shooting the AM and getting the new job, but we get the point.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1871585)   #132
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it was significant foot in the door.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1872318)   #133
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
look elsewhere, sprints, hillclimbs, clubbies etc even grass autotests .
Are there still not licensing considerations that might effect these events?
Old 21 Mar 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1873103)   #134
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not so much no.

If you speak to the 7oaks and DMC press officer I'm sure she will accomodate those who want to snap at an event (but will prob want free use for club promotion).