Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Oct 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1130674)   #76
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The sparks in the first one are cool, Jim. Did you turn off the flash
for that one? The sparks are there for the second one, but not nearly as noticeable because of the reflective paint.

The flash makes the logos on the third one look like they were Photoshopped (ie making it photo-art).

I love all three of them.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Oct 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1131136)   #77
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first one had no flash, both of the others had just enough to illuminate the graphics.

Thanks Paul. A bunch more can be seen here. http://www.speedarena.com/gallery/ga...0Laguna%20Seca
Old 21 Oct 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1131163)   #78
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm having my first night time with the 10D on Saturday at Croft. It will be interesting to see how they turn out, I have re-read the thread and have picked up some usful tips.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1131315)   #79
protruck
Rookie

protruck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drag Racing at night

My first attempt at night photography with my Digital Rebel

Sorry link did not work. I will post it somewhere else.

Last edited by protruck; 22 Oct 2004 at 01:13.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1131700)   #80
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was lucky enough to get one of my night shots (taken with a digital rebel) from this years Classic Le Mans in 'Classic Cars' magazine - double page spread too...

...look forward to seeing yours when you get the link sorted.

Last edited by stefan; 22 Oct 2004 at 11:09.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1131767)   #81
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan,
I know its been said before, but your pictures are stunning, I am in awe!
Old 22 Oct 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1131893)   #82
protruck
Rookie

This should work

Hopefully this link works

Al Billes at night
Old 22 Oct 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1131897)   #83
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great! have you got any more? I must visit a drag race one day.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1131931)   #84
protruck
Rookie

Santa Pod photos

Here is a link to photos I took when we were home this year. We went to Santa Pod and had a blast. They have one race in the spring and the other in the fall. You would enjoy it. I met Andrew Kitson there and he is another who now loves drag racing.

Santa Pod drag racing
Old 22 Oct 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1131955)   #85
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
They look good but I like the night one best. Is Santa Pod the only one in the UK? It's quite a trek from Bristol.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1131997)   #86
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More night shots from the Laguna Seca ALMS finale...

ALMS Laguna Seca Late Race Gallery

Martin
Old 22 Oct 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1132096)   #87
protruck
Rookie

Another couple of drag racing at night

Here are another two to check out.

Todd Paton Top Fuel

Radiac Maniac Mitch Stott
Old 22 Oct 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1132112)   #88
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
I like that second one - you might try boosting the saturation a little though.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2988956)   #89
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought I'd blow the cobwebs off this seven year-old thread to ask for some advice. I brought my camera to Brands Hatch today for the 'Britcar Into The Night' race meeting, a practice run for taking night-time photographs before my first visit to Le Mans next year.

I encountered lots of problems/challenges; I can't say that I overcame these, but with most of the issues I know (roughly) where I went wrong - except for this one. Have a look at the photograph below, any ideas why the racing number panel has been mirrored and reflected?

Settings were 1/60 sec @ f/4, ISO 400, flash.

Thanks!
Old 20 Nov 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2988961)   #90
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This happens quite often on night shots and is normally caused by using a filter on the lens. However if that isn't the case you may need a better lens !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2989089)   #91
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
This happens quite often on night shots and is normally caused by using a filter on the lens.
That'd be my guess as well - I had to take the filter off my lens as I was getting reflections from the headlights on front 3/4 shots. (Actually that reminds me - I must put that filter back on now!)
Old 20 Nov 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2989139)   #92
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
This happens quite often on night shots and is normally caused by using a filter on the lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That'd be my guess as well - I had to take the filter off my lens as I was getting reflections from the headlights on front 3/4 shots.
I can't believe it was such a simple problem! I have a UV filter on the lens to protect the glass, to be honest I forgot it was still there as I rarely take it off. Thanks for your help, gents.

Now to figure out how to focus in the dark...
Old 20 Nov 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2989162)   #93
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=Burnsie;2989139
Now to figure out how to focus in the dark...[/QUOTE]
Use a tape measure
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Nov 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2992519)   #94
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
What slightly bothers me about this explanation, is it's offset, and FLIPPED...
Offset, yup, had that, cured it. Filter issue.
The 'flipped' bit, I ain't so sure. That strikes me as POSSIBLY being a 'ghost' reflection off the glass in front of the sensor itself.
I'd pay a visit to dpreview, as there are some SERIOUS optical geeks on there, who will know what can cause this...

Focus manually, at night? Learn to use Hyperfocal tables, young man. It may mean you need to get a lens with a reasonably accurate focus distance scale! You get used to it. My old nail E-1 will NOT AF in the dark. I have always Manually Focussed in the dark.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2992972)   #95
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
The 'flipped' bit, I ain't so sure. That strikes me as POSSIBLY being a 'ghost' reflection off the glass in front of the sensor itself.
I'd pay a visit to dpreview, as there are some SERIOUS optical geeks on there, who will know what can cause this...
Thanks, Tim. I'll have a look there to see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Focus manually, at night? Learn to use Hyperfocal tables, young man.
Hyperfocal tables seem logical enough, but I think that carrying them around with me might take the shine off my first visit to Le Mans! Your advice is greatly appreciated though, thanks.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2993455)   #96
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
They used to be engraved on lens focus scales! Sadly, all now gone, with modern cameras and lenses.
It would give you a rough 'bracket' for a given f stop, at a given distance.
Great for 'street' photos. Guess the range, and fire away... the camera isn't at your eye, so you cannot be taking pictures???