Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3855754)   #151
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJe7GI9C7vU

It doesn't look like Lewis closed the door.
Indeed. Looks like pastor left the track and failed to rejoin safely to me....
Old 9 Oct 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3855755)   #152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He ran him off the road and then gave no room on the next apex. Whether you want to argument semantics on the term close the door or not, the accident was 100% predictable. And even though it was Pastors fault, that doesn’t mean much when you’re in the barrier.

My point is - if you’re involved in a lot of accidents, even if they aren’t your fault, you have to look at why. Being in the right doesn’t mean you did everything you could or should do to avoid being driven into. It’s no use being in the right with a broken car. Lewis learnt that lesson and is smarter now than he was back then. The whole world seen that coming except Lewis. 2018 Lewis wouldn’t have put himself in the situation to be taken out like that.

Race craft isn’t just about making passes and what not. It’s about reading the situation. Lewis is good at that now. Vettel not as much. Max still treats every corner like a world championship is on the line.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3855758)   #153
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't disagree, however on this one occasion, it's too easy to pose questions about Max because of his past history and deflect the responsibility from where it should lie - this time.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3855768)   #154
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
All I've got to say is that somebody needs to......."Sue the b*st*rd!!!"

key
* = a

jimclark
Old 9 Oct 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3855769)   #155
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They'd never win.......
Old 9 Oct 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3855784)   #156
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't disagree, however on this one occasion, it's too easy to pose questions about Max because of his past history and deflect the responsibility from where it should lie - this time.
I you take a look at 2:20 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTmuPOhaIA I think you may come to another opinion.
It looks like Vettel was substantially alongside and Max simply closed down on him and did not leave a car width.
To me Max would have the ability and vision to avoid this accident if he wanted to.

Max's attitude earlier in the clip after leaving the track and running into Raikkonen is also something to behold. "I tried to do the best I could, he just drives around the outside, he could have just waited for me to come back." (At 1:57 on the video)
Seriously?!
Old 9 Oct 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3855785)   #157
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The problem Max has is similar to Grosjean and Maldonado.
You’re on to something there. The difference is that Max is super quick.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3855850)   #158
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Max tried to make the corner as best he could to avoid a penalty, but unfortunately then clatters into Kimi.

Seb came from far too back in his move with Max
Old 10 Oct 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3855869)   #159
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max could have taken the emergency exit and still avoided a penalty (unless he would have gained an advantege).

His goal was not to avoid a penalty but to avoid being passed. It was very clumsy at least, if not intentional to block off Kimi.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3855873)   #160
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I you take a look at 2:20 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTmuPOhaIA I think you may come to another opinion.
It looks like Vettel was substantially alongside and Max simply closed down on him and did not leave a car width.
To me Max would have the ability and vision to avoid this accident if he wanted to.

Max's attitude earlier in the clip after leaving the track and running into Raikkonen is also something to behold. "I tried to do the best I could, he just drives around the outside, he could have just waited for me to come back." (At 1:57 on the video)
Seriously?!
What Verstappen probably meant was that if Kimi had waited for him to drift wide and cut back to the inside he probably would driven by him quite easily. The easy option for Max would've been to do what Bottas did. Instead he tried to remain on track as good as he could and after that he had full lock to the left.

I think a 5 second penalty was okay and if they hadn't given it I would've understood as well. For me it is hard to say though what is intentional and what is not from behind the keyboard.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3855903)   #161
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
He ran him off the road and then gave no room on the next apex. Whether you want to argument semantics on the term close the door or not, the accident was 100% predictable. And even though it was Pastors fault.
I would argue it wasn't. When you give zero room to the guy next to you and get run over, it's your fault in my opinion. Verstappen (rightly in my view) simply doesn't let himself be pushed off the track. It's utterly ridiculous why such a thing is allowed in F1, but there you go.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3855956)   #162
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

Seriously?!
No I still disagree on the Vettel incident. You're expecting Max to just open the door and let Vettel through? It was never going to happen. Max was entitled to take the line (IMO) and Vettel really has to wise up to the fact that other drivers (well some, anyway) just aren't going to jump out of his way any more because he's a former WDC and is driving a bright red car.

On this specifically -

Quote:
This cuts both ways and a driver desperately trying to salvage his WDC title chances had the ability too. But he was just that bit too desperate.

As to the Raikkonen incident, I've never defended Max over that one.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3855987)   #163
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Max gave Vettel a bit of room, but Vettel was going too fast for the corner
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3855993)   #164
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Max came into F1 with a bullish attitude as a young kid, and everyone very quickly learned not to go near him while racing.
Sorry. I like him. He is making early Schumi balls ups, flexing his muscles and a lot of drivers steer clear of him. Yes, Vettel showed desperation at Spoon.
Max will be a WDC at some point.
At least he makes F1 worth watching..
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3855997)   #165
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Max gave Vettel a bit of room, but Vettel was going too fast for the corner
That's what David Coulthard said, Vettel was going too fast into the corner.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3856004)   #166
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's what David Coulthard said, Vettel was going too fast into the corner.
At least too fast to leave a car width of space on the outside.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3856012)   #167
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...roach/3192715/
Old 10 Oct 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3856015)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post

Well that says it all. Kimi defending Max, saying it was a tricky situation
Old 10 Oct 2018, 23:22 (Ref:3856025)   #169
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Well that says it all. Kimi defending Max, saying it was a tricky situation
Oh.Well then, that's that, ehhh?

Not for me. 'Very diplomatic "defense"...

From the same:

"But it was obviously a bit of an odd situation where we ended up. I don't think he purposefully tried to hit anybody, but this is what happened."

Raikkonen did not seem too angry about what Verstappen did at the chicane, although is clear that he would have liked to have been given a bit more room.

"I tried to go outside and leave as much as I could," added the Finn. "But he obviously came kind of off the track over the grass kerb part.

"Maybe he could not turn more, and maybe he just ended up there. In an ideal world, he should have left a bit more. But I don't know…"

Anywho, on to the USA...

Last edited by jimclark; 10 Oct 2018 at 23:35.

jimclark
Old 10 Oct 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3856026)   #170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is Formula 1, after all.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3856145)   #171
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Seemed a very measured and fair response to me.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3856147)   #172
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
By a man who has no interest in bickering in public.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3856151)   #173
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
It is Formula 1, after all.
Quote:
Seemed a very measured and fair response to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
By a man who has no interest in bickering in public.
My pernt exackly. I think that was as much animosity I would (nay, not would, do) expect from Kimi.

jimclark
Old 19 Oct 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3857833)   #174
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Anndddddd once again this season Vettel has fluffed it. Add it to the long list including France, Germany and Monza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Yep once again. I'd consider replacing Vettel with someone like Ricciardo, or bring Alonso back. Sebs making too many mistakes. His championship years were plagued with mistakes as well, but he got away with them with a bit of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Indeed. A lineup of Alonso and Ricciardo would be ideal, with Leclerc placed at HAAS until Alonso decides to retire or is too slow and Ferrari "retires" him (as they do).

To think, IIRC, that both Ferrari drivers were out of contract and Ferrari have messed up their chance to secure this solid and trusty lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Is it too hasty to say Ferrari sent the wrong driver to Sauber?
Quote:
..Vettel then throws it all away with a rash move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Without pressure Vettel had good races. When it turned out that Mercedes were playing catch up quickly Ferrari and Vettel both got nervous and it all went down to drain..
Quote:
Vettee messed up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I will pile on and agree that under pressure Vettel just makes mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
A few races ago it looked like Ferrari had the quicker car and Vettel driving well. Then he started driving poorly and the tram lost their advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Vettel is quick but he doesn't seem to have the mental strength to put a championship season together.

I think Ferrari should bite the bullet and get Alonso back on board for a couple of seasons.
Quote:
How many accidents has Hamilton had this season due to impetuous decisions and/or brainfade?

How many points has Vettel thrown away because of it?
Quote:
Vettel could be and should be less than 25 points behind with all to play for.
He's proving to be Ferrari's weak link.
Quote:
Vettel may occasionally keep a cool head, but there's been little evidence of that in recent races.
Quote:
Japan was a classic example of Vettel's innate ability to panic.

Everybody knows a Ferrari,particularly with DRS, will destroy a Red Bull/Renault in a straight line. Apparently Vettel doesn't.
Quote:
Vettel panics too much when things don’t go his way.
Quote:
I'm trying to remember, if Vettel was like this when he was with RBR, panicking and making these rash judgments; we've seen it several times the year and I think it has cost him the WDC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Turkey 2010, with Webber. Multi 21 in Malaysia 2013, with Webber.

There's just two rash decisions - both precipitated by being put under pressure, just by a teammate rather than a rival. Granted, not in a red car, but his history of rash decisions started in an RBR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I was having a conversation with a work colleague today, and we both thought that Vettel performances over the last two seasons have somewhat tarnished his reputation.

He should be within touch of Hamilton, as he should have been last season. One Mercedes DNF should be enough for him to be back in with a realistic chance of the title. Instead, he is looking at another season where it has slipped away, largely due to the increasingly long list of his own errors.
Quote:
Assuming they have another fast car next year,the only way Ferrari are going to beat Mercedes and Hamilton is to stick Alonso, Verstappen or maybe Ricciardo in the car.Alonso is available for goodness sake and probably wouldn't want a huge salary either....just the opportunity.

If that doesn't sit well with Vettel I'd just say "Prove us wrong".
Quote:
Vettel has been a great driver but he's cracked under pressure recently. If Ferrari have any sense, they'll give Leclerc his head next season and won't make him play second fiddle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
I agree with it but still would argue that while some mistakes are down to overdriving the car (especially those in quali), Vettel should keep his cool more in the infight situations. It's not that he cannot overtake but sometime he gets overanxious.
Quote:
I'd have had more sympathy for Vettel if he'd just held his hands up and admitted it was a rash move on his part. He'd have had Max's guts for bright red garters had the roles been reversed....
Quote:
Max was entitled to take the line (IMO) and Vettel really has to wise up to the fact that other drivers (well some, anyway) just aren't going to jump out of his way any more because he's a former WDC and is driving a bright red car.
So much hate for Vettel in here!

And here I was thinking I was the only one who has always believed Vettel is overrated!??
Good to know that there's one or two more out there.

Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3858665)   #175
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's not hate at all. Nor is anyone saying that Vettel is overrated. You quoted me and I certainly didn't say that. I do believe that his desperation to keep the title fight alive has caused his racecraft to suffer but you're putting so many eggs in the pudding that you won't need to visit the little boy's room for a week.......