Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Oct 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1120629)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When wildlife gets in the way

Watching the Bob Jane T Mart 1000 at Bathurst yesterday and seeing Jim Richards hit a kangaroo (see Aussie forum for a link to the video) reminded me of a few hits I've seen over the years.

Several years ago during a Formula Ford race at Winton a brown snake decided to cross the track and was run over by a car and thrown up into the air and nearly landed in the open cockpit of a following car.

Any other contributions?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1120702)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The cobra on track at the first 500 cc race in Malaysia, numerous seagulls at Philip Island, Brockie cleaned up a roo in the round Oz rally, Carlos Sainz backdoored a sheep in Rally NZ, There has also been other rally cars cleaning up roos and other animals as well.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 03:43 (Ref:1120738)   #3
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That pomm'y co-driver of Brock...

He's a bit of a Wombat !

D.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 03:58 (Ref:1120745)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What? Eats, roots and leaves?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 07:02 (Ref:1120813)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
We had to chase a rabbit from the side of the circuit a few times yesterday to prevent it from becoming road kill.

And of course, there's the perennial "deer chase" that we do at the Phoenix Park every year.

However, my favourite has to be the hare that overtook a field of Unos towards the last corner. Had it not decided to run into a bank at the top of the hill, we're fairly sure it would have won!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1120873)   #6
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few months ago we had couple of dogs on our circuit running loose luckly nuthin hit them other wise could have ended up on the BBQ,that night.Just jokin.But the dogs were for real.They actually took some catchin.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1120955)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ooh ooh I forgot about that - we had an Irish Wolfhound on the circuit during a qualifying at Kirkistown!

And we also had a circuit invasion by cows there too!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1120999)   #8
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a Grouse re-inacting the wiskey advert plodding across at Nobles (Thruxton) yesterday on my warm up lap for BARC fomula renault race. It gave me a right glare back. Not sure if its quite in the same league as an Irish Wolfhound & Kangaroo though
Old 11 Oct 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1121070)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Depends if it was Famous or merely moderately well-known!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1121072)   #10
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We get plenty of pheasants at Shelsley....Plenty of deer at Loton and the odd stray dog or one that has been bought in by a member of the public at Prescott
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1121182)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A frog...
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1121183)   #12
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I managed to get two squirrel tails wrapped around my wishbones in the same day at Oulton a few years ago but never saw what happend to the rest of them.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1121441)   #13
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently a driver got a pheasant full in the face at gurston (i think) a few weeks back.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1121495)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Plenty of pheasants at various venues, Silverstone hares and deer at Loton or Cornbury. Then there was the Audi at Curborough who scared a nest of field mice away a couple of weeks ago.

Best momory though, was a pidgeon on a rally stage. The car went over it, and it emerged from between the wheels flying straight upwards, leaving a deposit down the co-driver's window as it left. 2 minutes later, it came back...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1122568)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Just going off topic slightly....

The most violently ill i've ever been (except for that time I had some dodgy ham on that take away pizza) was when a company I once worked for bought a used Fork Lift Truck. It came at a remarkably cheap price for the make and model. When it arrived in the yard there was a strange smell about it and it was pretty grubby, so I asked one of the lads to put the steam cleaner over it. A bit later on I was passing the yard and the smell had got stronger, so I went to look at what was going on. The lad had done the outside and was taking the engine cover off. I won't go into too much detail about what we found. Suffice it to say we asked the forklift dealer about it and the reason it came so cheap was that it's first home was a seed merchant. It had spent it's life in barns and sheds. The warm engine being the idea place for rats, mice and birds to make their little homes in.

It's amazing how far the stomache can propel carrots... just thought I'd mention that.....
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1122571)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1122583)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few years ago at Donington, a pheasant decided to go for a Sunday morning stroll from the pit exit across the track. Can't remember whether it was BOSS Formula or Thoroughbred GP but the car that hit the silly bird made a hell of a mess - feathers everywhere. Fortunately, the car was undamaged.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1122605)   #18
Bruce Moxon
Racer

Bruce Moxon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't someone (Gerhard Berger comes to mind) nail a deer at Hockenheim? Andy Rouse got a dog at Bathurst with a Sierra and Martin Short got a tortoise there in the Mosler.

And someone else got a deer at the old Ostriechring, from memory. And there must be so many stories from rallying. I once got a possum - I flicked the car to try to miss him and got him with the back wheel instead of the front.

Bruce Moxon
Old 12 Oct 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1122614)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was also the time Stefan Johanson hit a deer in qualifying at the Oesterreichring and had it sitting in his lap for a few yards. McLaren painted a deer with a cross through it on the cockpit, but not before they told him off for not bringing it back for lunch.

Dario Franchitti wrote off a hare at Nurburgring in DTM, and of course there was the Porsche 956 on Hangar Straight (Tim Lee-Davey?) who took the entire front out and wrote off the hare.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1122693)   #20
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall the Hares dashing up Hanger Straight

(even if some of them were a bit Ginger wearing a Kilt)

Last edited by pixie; 12 Oct 2004 at 22:38.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1123705)   #21
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kilt?

It was the Irish National dress.

NOT A KILT!!!!!

LOL

Alan McNish splatted a hare at Silverstone 3 years ago. The slow-mo reply revealed the bits going over the rear wing.

Yuk

Gillian
Old 13 Oct 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1123760)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Um it's still a kilt...just Irish tartan......
Old 13 Oct 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1123769)   #23
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kilt

Ok, maybe it is stil a kilt. But the implication was there!

Why do the smily faces not work on my pc? I just get these - :-)
Old 14 Oct 2004, 00:22 (Ref:1123848)   #24
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: When wildlife gets in the way

Quote:
Originally posted by PVDA
Any other contributions?
The native flora and fauna here in Florida have been known to make appearances at various racetracks. The Sebring track had the appearance of a wild pig along the backstraigt between turn 16-17. It managed to stay on the grass on the outside of the track and possibly wound up being roasted after the races. At Moroso Motorsports Park in West Palm Beach there regularly appear Sandhill Cranes. These are `protected wildlife' and the various flagstations use the `surface' flag (waved) as a warning to the drivers. At lunchtime they hang around the food concession looking for handouts (usually they get a hamburger/hot dog roll). Of course the most famous florida wildlife is the alligator and there are several in residence near Moroso as there are canals in the vicinity. During mating season their distinctive `bark' is evident. One has not been seen on the track itself in several years.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1124345)   #25
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I clearly remember a call over the landline at Mosport (home of many sorts of wildlife, two- and four-legged) during a sportscar race: "Control, this is seven, we have a fox on the track... Woops, no we don't, we have a surface flag." Control sympathized and said they'd send a track vehicle out after the session to pick up the remains, at which T7 replied (warning, too much information coming), "Bring a shovel."

The now-defunct Westwood track in BC had flag rules and hand signals for bear, deer and cougar, I understand.

keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 14 Oct 2004 at 14:50.