Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 13 Sep 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1406469)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regulars-please read

Whilst it is great to see many of the regulars photographic handy work on the pages here it seems some "might" be overdoing it a little bit on this and other Ten Tenths forums ie: submitting many photos with their name/credits on after each weekend and/or countless links to their own websites. Some posters look as though they could be posting pictures for the sake of posting just to keep their names in constant view. Keep posting pictures by all means but go a little easier on the "advertising "-many thanks to you all, Baz
Old 15 Sep 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1408712)   #2
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll second that observation/request..

I suggest, however, that Baz is being a touch diplomatic in his language and I'll go further and suggest that it has, in fact, got a out of hand.. Cripes, even on a 2M broadband connection, these pages take a little too long to download sometimes..

I wouldn't mind so much but I do suspect that there is a touch of attempted xxx-swinging going on with all this posting sometimes..

Just remember.. Oh xxx-swingers.. Others may have bigger ones than you..

I digress..

As a place to discuss all aspects of motorsport art & photography - from techniques and materials/equipment, through subject matter, to critique of your work (I'm quoting) I'm sure that you can provide links to your images rather posting the images themselves, if the latter is what you seek..

If you're xxx-swinging, the various editors and clients are thataway ====>>>>>

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 16 Sep 2005 at 10:56.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1409165)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
>>>....yes here i am. as i think the only motorsport photo editor on the forum, maybe i should do an honest critique of any work that takes up too much bandwidth...

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 16 Sep 2005 at 10:56.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1409469)   #4
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who goes around looking to place those three x's in there..?
Old 18 Sep 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1410696)   #5
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not advertise myeslf, either direct or by stealth, it isn't how I operate. However, discouraging photographs in a photography forum is like saying you can have dinner without the food. At less than one new post a day it isn't exactly the busiest place on the planet and I like to see what everyone is up to. But, if that's the rules, so be it.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 18 Sep 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1410729)   #6
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree with Kenny, prehaps just links would be better rather than posting the pictures, that should reduce the bandwidth problems, but I surpose it is still advertising.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1410769)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Baz didn't say that he was discouraging photographs, however if you read the forum description this is an area to discuss photography not simply an extended photo gallery. The point Baz was making is that there are certain members whose sole contribution to this forum seems to consist of saying "here's some photos I took this weekend" every few weeks.

Fair enough if someone wants a critique of their work. Post sample picture or two and a link to a webpage. Not if you are just posting pictures for the sake of posting pictures.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1410791)   #8
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nerd
I do agree with Kenny, prehaps just links would be better rather than posting the pictures, that should reduce the bandwidth problems, but I surpose it is still advertising.

when you post a thread of pictures hosted on another site it doesnt effect this sites bandwidth up, it only chomps mine
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1410900)   #9
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy seeing peoples photo's from whatever events they have been to. The standard around here is very high, I feel I can learn a lot from peoples pictures / galleries posted here. If anything I would like to see MORE of it. That's my 2 cents anyway

Personally I would love to be able to post more of my photos directly on here however with the popularity of this forum and my bandwidth constraints its just not possible, however I feel perhaps more comments on peoples pictures would be more beneficial rather than just not replying to them at all. I'm sure everyone who posts pictures would appreciate any comment, whether it praise, constructive criticism or advise.

Cheers
Old 19 Sep 2005, 07:48 (Ref:1411104)   #10
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think I were advertising. I'm not making any profit out of this.

I view this forum as a place of experienced and some in-experienced photographers who are keen to learn and gain advice from the experienced. This board has pretty good potential to in many ways indirectly help new, up and coming photographers into the field as a profession. I'm not pointing fingers or naming names here but it sometimes seems that there are few people here some to over keen to dampen the enthusiam and put off young and very promising photographers from furerthing ourselves in the field.

But this shouldn't be the case, because the such people who post here with those aims are very seriously indeed about their photography.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but it would help maybe just to clarify this point in laymens terms with no jargon please. Is it acceptable to post one or two examples with a link to the full gallery in this photography forum?
Old 19 Sep 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1411188)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before this all ends up in a slanging match-which I'm sure it won't, Redshoes/David L has hit the nail right on the head. Up til' now many have posted pictures every now and then whilst some others have seemingly posted pictures from every meeting they attend either on this site, the Marshals site etc, etc. All I'm asking for is to restrict these postings to a sensible amount-fine if the picture is related to a certain interesting topic but not the constant..."I went out again this weekend and here are my pictures-what do you think...also check out my website..." type postings which can get a little tiresome. This forum has worked extremely well with questions & answers and other worthy topics-including peoples pictures here and there. However, I don't want it to become a forum for some people just to post their handywork just for the sake of seeing their names/websites being constantly plugged week in, week out. Glad you all understand-Thanks.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1469139)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
I tried that, and walked into a wall, then through it into my neighbours house. I didn't know he was a photo editor!

Should there be perhaps a limit on the amount of photos posted, or just all links?
Old 24 Nov 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1469211)   #13
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I tried that, and walked into a wall, then through it into my neighbours house. I didn't know he was a photo editor!

Should there be perhaps a limit on the amount of photos posted, or just all links?
I tried doing that to, and ended up landing on the concrete drive way outside my house. In my Daze I didn't think to ask for an Editer, I'll try harder next time.

On a more serious note, I stopped my own posting, and linking that could be described as "I went out for a good ol jolly chimp at the weekend here are the pics". I now occassionally link a pic if I think it illustrates something I say in a post. Hope that is okay.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1469895)   #14
FREE996
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon Wiltshire
FREE996 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not create another photography group so we have one for techniques & questions and the other for photos for critique ?

Personally I like looking at others work , sometimes even give me new ideas
Old 25 Nov 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1469936)   #15
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a good idea, I'll put it to the admin.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1470160)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cos of bandwidth blah blah blah etc such an additional forum would probably need to be one that you could put a link on to your latest meisterpieces rather than put loads of thumbs/jpegs onto

or you could also join a photgraphy forum that already has just such a thing...the canon eos forum has such a thing categorised by subject matter...you get a different level of critique
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1470687)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dumb??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
Whilst it is great to see many of the regulars photographic handy work on the pages here it seems some "might" be overdoing it a little bit on this and other Ten Tenths forums ie: submitting many photos with their name/credits on after each weekend and/or countless links to their own websites. Some posters look as though they could be posting pictures for the sake of posting just to keep their names in constant view. Keep posting pictures by all means but go a little easier on the "advertising "-many thanks to you all, Baz
Having a little trouble here Baz....you have a forum for enthusiasts here in 10/10ths....and when people get enthusiastic you get antsy....

Maybe a modicum of understanding on your part would be good right now
Old 30 Dec 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1492259)   #18
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE996
Why not create another photography group so we have one for techniques & questions and the other for photos for critique ?

Personally I like looking at others work , sometimes even give me new ideas
Why do you need another group? As Baz, Redshoes and David L have said, unless you want comments for particular images, post a link to your site!

I know I have been away for a while... Baz, When did you move to Rochester?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1521845)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe keeping all the "on the weekend... " posts to a single thread like the Joke thread in Parc Ferme would help or at least be less intrusive?
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1569405)   #20
v8mgbgt
Rookie

Isle of Man
cambridge
v8mgbgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, well my name is Dave Woodall and yes i am a Photographer all i do is shoot cars full time yes it is a full time job. i love it would not change it for the world... i wont upset the apple cart and start posting loads of pictures of " Weekend Work " on here i have a small web site if you want to have alook it is www.davewoodall.com
i am not selling pictures from there so its just a invite to have a look ..
have fun
Dave
Old 3 Apr 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1569501)   #21
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Hi Dave and welcome to 10 tenths. I know you having been out on location with you many years ago when I worked at Performance Ford/VW mag...that was a few years ago though! Good to see your still busy at present looking at the various mags...looking forward to your posts in the near future!!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1669426)   #22
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hi
i'm new here, and made my first post today with some photos of BTCC of donington park. since i posted i have just read this thread and it looks like i've already broken all the rules in one post
although it seems a bit strange to ask not to have too many photos on a forum about photography, i'm happy to accept the rules, so please feel free to delete my thread (i also posted them at 800 pixels instead of 400!)
Old 6 Aug 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1674680)   #23
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not simply use a service like PBase or Flickr to have a group pool for ten tenths - I can set one up now if you like? You don't have to have a paid for Flickr account in order to be able to post and it would solve the bandwidth issues.

Of course it then requires people to check the pool on another site as well as here. But it could be a reasonable compromise?

I for one would really welcome the feedback from people with far more motorsport photography experience than myself, yet these "guidelines" seem to send out mixed messages to most of us.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 00:22 (Ref:1903083)   #24
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8mgbgt
Hi all, well my name is Dave Woodall and yes i am a Photographer all i do is shoot cars full time yes it is a full time job. i love it would not change it for the world... i wont upset the apple cart and start posting loads of pictures of " Weekend Work " on here i have a small web site if you want to have alook it is www.davewoodall.com
i am not selling pictures from there so its just a invite to have a look ..
have fun
Dave
Nice pics Dave. Like your work
Old 25 Jun 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1946610)   #25
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I digress a little BUT say it while i remeber; kdr, your dp is stunning.
(i'm honestly not sucking up.)