T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not certain yet is it?

From telegraph.co.uk

Quote:
BAR's British test driver Anthony Davidson is on standby to contest Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix. Davidson, who last appeared in Malaysia in March, will discover in the next 48 hours if he is to replace Takuma Sato at the season's final race following the Japanese driver's disqualification in Japan.
It would be nice to see him in BAR's final race.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1430498)   #3
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could have been a typo but BBC Sport's website said that Japan was Sato's last race. They could have meant last in Japan perhaps but that's not what they said....
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1430500)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race is at Shangai by the way. This happened to Villeneuve at Suzuka 2003 when Sato took his place, wouldn't suprise me if Anthony does race, I sure hope he does.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1430526)   #5
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im with luke, ant deserves a shot in a decent car, be good to see how close to JB he'd get
Old 11 Oct 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1430547)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sato's surely had enough chances now, and he will be racing in F1 next year by the looks of things, so Ant deserves a full-weekend chance to prove himself.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1430557)   #7
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What is Taku's contarctual situation? Is he out of contract? If so is he really Guranteed a drive in 06
Old 11 Oct 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1430558)   #8
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The only reason i'd think they might give him a go is if they are considering him for the seat alongside sato next year, but i don't think they owe him anything at all. if they aren't considering him, why should they have to prove how good or otherwise he is for the benefit of another team? sato might be rubbish - and in my opinion almost certainly is - but ant deserves only what is in his contract - ie pay for testing duties. on the other hand, i'd like to see him given a go as it would be interesting to see how he goes compared to button.
but ultimately i don't think it will happen, it's apparently created too much uproar as it is to sack/demote him when his contract expires, why magnify that by dropping him a race early, the ultimate humiliation?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1430569)   #9
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure Honda have had/seen enough of Sato for a while.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1430625)   #10
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey
I'm pretty sure Honda have had/seen enough of Sato for a while.
That may be true but if it causes too much of an uproar then they will do what they feel they have to do. Personally, I would expect Ant to drive in China but Honda2/Aguri team to make an announcement involving Sato and hope this will deflect the attention
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1430733)   #11
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reported in the Times too.

not sure what BAR would gain from it.

except historically Chinese are notorieously lukewarm on the Japanese, and Davidson does most of BATs promotion in China, not Sato.

so maybe its a PR thing - BATs last fling.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1430818)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've had no confirmation of this story...but it would make good PR sense if it did happen for B.A.R. for Honda and B.A.T. as Ant would be remembered there as the fastest in last years Friday practice in the '555' livery...B.A.T's big brand in China.

I think it would be a popular step as there was general allround sympathy for his Sepang oil leak!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1430845)   #13
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Rennen on this one. With Ant being the fastest in Friday practice last last year, and with a sound knowledge of the track layout, it could be a useful swan song for both team and driver.

Do BAR owe him? Contrary to one post earlier, he did not have a testing contract, but a combined test/race contract, for those occasions when one of the race team was indisposed. Sato unfortunately is a man who appears to be under pressure and of late it seems to have got to him. On the information available Sato will have a race seat for next year and has nothing to prove.

Ant on the other hand has everything to prove, and if Honda have any input into the no.2 seat for the potential Honda 2 team next year, this would be a good test to allow the Brit to prove his worth. Davidson has been loyal to Honda since 2001, apart from his Ferrari sports car drives, but then that was a BAR/Richards link anyway.

Speaking of which, especially with the critics forever going on about Davidson proving his worth in a race situation, his pace against more experienced/seasoned racers in the Ferrari was second to none. Put simply, whenever Davidson has "raced" anything, he has always been quick, period.

The BAR 007 is a reasonably sorted car now, and if rumours are true, Honda 2 might even start with that car in 2006. It would give Ant ample opportunity to show what he could do in a car he knows, and at a track he is quick at, even more so if he can overcome the "first out in qualifying" syndrome. Brundle/Allen always reckon it can cost 1 second+ being first out, so I say put the Brit under pressure - he will either succeed or fail, nothing in between will count, so he should be given the chance!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1430952)   #14
mike bt
Rookie

mike bt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Sato doesn't want to race in China......there's no love lost between the Chinese and the Japanese, and maybe Sato's decided he doesn't need the extra aggravation of racing in front of a hostile crowd especially when things aren't going too well. It wouldn't damage Sato's prospects of a drive next year if what we hear about the new team is true, but it would be a tremendous opportunity for Ant to show what he can do. It's a great pity that it can only be one race, and moreover one where he has to go out first in qualifying, but if he's given the opportunity I'm sure he'll make the most of it.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1430974)   #15
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be totally surprised if Ant turns up in a Renault...

Wonder if Flavs calmed down yet?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1430978)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee

I would.

If there's a Renault available it has Heikki Kovalianen's name on it!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1430981)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be great to see Ant out on the track. But on the minus side, we wouldn't hear his commentary, which I think is excellent.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1431071)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any spare Renault drive would surely go to Heikki, who (like Ant) richly deserves a chance.

The more I think about it, the more everyone will gain from Ant doing this race, especially if they are ready to confirm the second team (Aguri Suzuki is not neccessarily involved, although he's a strong possibility). Ant has good experience in China (although his Friday lap last year was the only confirmed low-fuel publciity run, so as to fully exploit that 555 livery, I suspect only BAR insiders really know how good he was there), and from a publicity angle he's the ideal #2 to Taku next year, especially if they feel he would do well in a rival car.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1431119)   #19
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love for Anthony to get a drive @ Williams, just in the hope of him showing up Button next year
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1431124)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well whoever is driving at Williams could do that to be honest, if the car is a peach.

You get the feeling Jenson will regret his decision.

And we're off topic folks!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1431140)   #21
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Well whoever is driving at Williams could do that to be honest, if the car is a peach.
Yes, but I think Davison doing so has slightly more significance.

I'm been thinking though, if they do replace Sato for Davison in China.. what does that say about Honda 2 wanting Sato to lead their team?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1431143)   #22
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Ha
I'm been thinking though, if they do replace Sato for Davison in China.. what does that say about Honda 2 wanting Sato to lead their team?
I would not be surprised a bit if, suddenly, Honda 2 was to be abandonned after this weekend... Just let the time to Honda's PR outfit to carry a new survey in Japan as to whether sacking Sato adverserly affects their corporate image.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1431152)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's no way the Honda project will be abandoned.

It is 90% sure for 2006 and 100% for 2007.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1431186)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee

Wonder if Flavs calmed down yet?
Hhmm.. was on a flight in Italy and AD was on the courtesy bus talking Italian on his mobile next to me, trying to get picked up at the Terminal. Shame I dont talk the lingo, cos I like the idea..
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1431224)   #25
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
...And we're off topic folks!
Well, before laser boy shows up, let's get it back on topic.

Press "reports" aside, based on the most current and available official information from the BAR-Honda team itself (as of today, October 11th), it looks like Davidson will not be racing in China this weekend.

The link has the info: http://www.barhondaf1.com/en/index.p...em=1344&type=1

As a courtesy, here is the relevant language, although this may get edited as usual:

"After failing to score points at Suzuka for the first time in his career, Takuma Sato will be hoping to make amends in Shanghai where he’ll benefit from Honda’s final engine specification of the V10 era.

“I am absolutely determined to have a strong race in my final grand prix for B.A.R Honda,” confirms Taku. “Shanghai is an extremely impressive circuit in terms of the facilities and challenging track layout. Last year I had a good race from the back of the grid, and there are a number of good overtaking opportunities at this circuit. After positive tests during the past month, we believe we should have a strong package, so I am very excited about the last race of 2005.”

I doubt that BAR would post this on their official web site if Davidson will be racing. Although things may change.