Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jan 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3954048)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Thread bump!

The #24 RLL BMW M8 won the 24 Hours of Daytona with drivers John Edwards, Augusto Farfus, Jesse Krohn and Chaz Mostert.
Old 20 Aug 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3996713)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This new M4 GT3 looks like a beast. I am happy it has a straight six, as the God of BMW intended.

https://twitter.com/NickYelloly/stat...375311369?s=19
Old 20 Aug 2020, 21:10 (Ref:3996753)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good God, are they vacuuming the track with that gaping mouth? And then highlighted with the orange.

But yes, it does look the business
Old 20 Aug 2020, 22:32 (Ref:3996761)   #29
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Looks more like a race car than the M8 did. I don't know if it's because of some more freedoms in GT3 vs GTE or if the M4 is better proportioned than the M8.

Oddly, the road car M4 (112.2 in) and road car M8 (111.1 in) have similar wheelbases.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 07:51 (Ref:3996792)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I REALLY like that M4. But I'm also partial to the dazzle camo liveries, so I may be unfairly giving it credit. Looks far better than both the M6 and M8.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 08:51 (Ref:3996797)   #31
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rear wing is huge, and diffuser seems bigger compared to the one used on m6 gt3. Considering also that the 3L L6 turbo will be much lighter and less bulky than the huge V8 4.4L TT, I expect this car to have most of weight distribution pushed on rear. Curious to see what will be the bop min.weight since m4 gt3 won't be anymore a 700Nm monster like m6 used to be.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 14:55 (Ref:3996878)   #32
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
did i see correctly they are aiming to get this thing out for 2022? How much testing needs to be done??? Seems pretty far off in to the future.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 17:25 (Ref:3996906)   #33
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
did i see correctly they are aiming to get this thing out for 2022? How much testing needs to be done??? Seems pretty far off in to the future.
That's what I read too. It does seem a long time away.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3996911)   #34
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The point is that the new GT3 regulation should start in 2022 and I don't know if this M4 adapts to the current rules. Also with the new GT3-plus rules in the DTM, maybe BMW plans to race this car in the DTM next year and sell it to customers in 2022.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3996919)   #35
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
The point is that the new GT3 regulation should start in 2022 and I don't know if this M4 adapts to the current rules. Also with the new GT3-plus rules in the DTM, maybe BMW plans to race this car in the DTM next year and sell it to customers in 2022.
I think that you are right ...... BMW are taking advantage of the new GT3 rules which mean they are allowed to base the new car on a four door base model - pretty much all of BMW 's new models are based on the same basic design just with different body shells. My understanding is that the current rules (until end of 2021) did not allow this and they had to be based on specific individual 2/3 door models. I might not have explained this in a very technical way but hopefully you get the idea.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 21:27 (Ref:3996944)   #36
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly what he said, they applied for an allowance but were denied. The only 2 door platform they produce was the 8s and then the Z/Supra. The new rules allow a shared platform in its 2 door form to be GT eligible. But not until 22, so testing and special invitation events only.
Old 22 Aug 2020, 12:36 (Ref:3997041)   #37
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
I think that you are right ...... BMW are taking advantage of the new GT3 rules which mean they are allowed to base the new car on a four door base model - pretty much all of BMW 's new models are based on the same basic design just with different body shells. My understanding is that the current rules (until end of 2021) did not allow this and they had to be based on specific individual 2/3 door models. I might not have explained this in a very technical way but hopefully you get the idea.
Thanks guys this all makes sense now. I had forgotten about the new regulations starting.

Interesting thoughts on this potentially being in DTM too. Great way to test the platform I suppose.
Old 22 Aug 2020, 13:43 (Ref:3997044)   #38
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also, as it's a customer car, it needs to roll out with a lot less issues than a custom product like an LMP1 does. You're selling this to teams as a product with no major reliability issues. Any update to the hardware will cost a lot.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 12:35 (Ref:3999435)   #39
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Curious to see what will be the bop min.weight since m4 gt3 won't be anymore a 700Nm monster like m6 used to be.
Did the GT3 cars ever run that much torque in BoP-spec?
Old 1 Sep 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3999455)   #40
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
Did the GT3 cars ever run that much torque in BoP-spec?
well, if you look at imsa or some other bop sheet, bmw m6 gt3 has always a turbo boost of about 1.9-2 bar from about 3500-4000rpm up to 5000-5500rpm....
consider 2 things:

1) a 4,4L x 1,9 bar means in that rpm range the car is like if it had a >8.3L NA engine

2) according to onboards on youtube like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkGKsptllk&t=291s
despit a bop mandatory 7250rpm revlimit, bmw drivers use to upshift at about 6000rpm, it basically means that max power is released in that rpm range...
to take an indicative and realistic value:
530hp@6000rpm = 630Nm@6000rpm
so since bop can't however bend physics rules, yeah it's really likely that in low-mid rpm m6 gt3 is a 700Nm monster
Old 2 Sep 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3999551)   #41
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, thanks for the explanation!
Old 5 Sep 2020, 06:52 (Ref:4000165)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Chaz Mostert has ended his BMM deal so that he is free to race for other teams outside of his V8SC programme.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 23:17 (Ref:4035506)   #43
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New BMW M4GT3 on track, in Montenblanco, Andalucia, Spain.

https://web.facebook.com/internationalGTOpen

Last edited by hondafan37; 16 Feb 2021 at 23:23.
Old 17 Feb 2021, 02:16 (Ref:4035522)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, don't show that from the front ever
Old 17 Feb 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4035531)   #45
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, don't show that from the front ever
Really a bit of a shame, because it looks pretty decent from other angles.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4035734)   #46
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not really like it, but maybe it looks better in a proper livery.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4035736)   #47
canaglia
Veteran

Can't say it's ugly but it's not I could expect more from a 2 doors sedan-like shaped car anyhow 2011-2015 Z4 GT3 remains still the best looking racing bmw gt car to me, even if was far from being a true GT.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4035739)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Can't say it's ugly but it's not I could expect more from a 2 doors sedan-like shaped car anyhow 2011-2015 Z4 GT3 remains still the best looking racing bmw gt car to me, even if was far from being a true GT.
From their GT3 cars the Z4 was the best looking. Really liked that car.

BMW is one of my favorite brands but currently the design of their road cars is not to my taste. Also not really understand their current motorsport strategy.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4035775)   #49
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
From their GT3 cars the Z4 was the best looking. Really liked that car.

BMW is one of my favorite brands but currently the design of their road cars is not to my taste. Also not really understand their current motorsport strategy.
Because they barely have one...
Old 22 Mar 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4042291)   #50
Mike E
Veteran

Working on GTD Pro for new M4 GT3

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/b...d-pro-program/