Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:51 (Ref:714943)   #1
The Bear
Rookie

The Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal or O'Neill?

While the championship may be all but decided and second place seems certain, who will come third? Matt Neal and Paul O'Neill are both on 132 points and the best racing at Oulton Park may be between these two.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 12:14 (Ref:714967)   #2
maplex
Rookie

maplex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Vauxhalls are the best cars on the track at the moment and the competition has trouble keeping up. By that I mean that their performance is consistent whereas Honda and MG’s seem to struggle when ballast is introduced. Therefore, Paul O’Neill should come third. But Matt Neal is an experienced racer, and if it comes down to an on track battle between himself and Paul, Ill have to go with Matt.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 12:30 (Ref:714992)   #3
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal i think, but it'll be very close only a few points in it
Old 11 Sep 2003, 12:48 (Ref:715023)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I agree, I think Neal will take it, but the Honda might give up, or Matt might get up close and personal with another car (surely not???) and end up retiring. It'll be close.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 13:04 (Ref:715045)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It's going to be mighty close that's for sure. O'Neill has the better car (faster + more reliable) whereas Neal is the better driver (although O'Neill has improved throughout the year - he seems to be learning fast from his more experienced team mates).

I think Neal will just edge it but it really does depend on the reliability of the Honda.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 16:57 (Ref:715292)   #6
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the Honda's are reliable I think It'll be Matt Neal. I think Paul might play hard ball though, if he gets it then it would be brilliant for him but Vauxhall 1,2,3 in the championship again?
# 3 is the magic number...
Old 11 Sep 2003, 18:20 (Ref:715415)   #7
lauz
Rookie

Scotland
scotland
lauz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its gonna be close but i hope that o'neill gets third. he deserves it coz he has been on the pace all year and he is an all round great guy! however matt will probably get it if his races go well. good luck to both of them, it is gonna be a good one!
Old 11 Sep 2003, 19:23 (Ref:715508)   #8
No. 1
Rookie

No. 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal will carry ballast in the first race and we know the Hondas (and Matt especially) are not so good with ballast. Also, the pit stops..... Vauxhall seem to be able to turn their cars around quicker. It will give the meeting at Oulton some interest!
Old 11 Sep 2003, 19:32 (Ref:715515)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neal won't have any ballast so I wouldn't write off him taking a win at Oulton.

Paul O'Neill's capitalised on the cosistency this year - the cars good but he's still learning.
On outright pace Matt Neal is the more deserving of third in the drivers championship, but then again consistency is paramount these days.

Last edited by touringlegend; 11 Sep 2003 at 19:36.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 19:39 (Ref:715521)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Matt will qualify the better for race one with a lighter car and get the better result in race one. The it all depends on how O'Neill fares in comparison with Neal in race 2.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:44 (Ref:716648)   #11
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give it to Matt - had alot of bad luck, should be up there with Tommo and Muller for the title and not O`Neil for `best of the rest` really. But I think a 4th in the championship for O`Neil would be great, he has shown this year what he can do and should do better next year (if the driver line up stays...)
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:33 (Ref:718761)   #12
No. 1
Rookie

Great thread. It seems that it will be the competition for the weekend. The BTCC fans seem to feel that "Evil Empire" Muller has already won the title from "Saint" Jimmy Thompson. But who will come third? The old people's champion MN or the new people's champion PO? And what about next year's people's champion/young driver Colin Turkington? He has shown Tom Chilton to be "the young gun that did not fire".
Lots of bait there for a heated discussion.
<Walks away smiling... looking back over left shoulder... quickening walk.>
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:53 (Ref:718787)   #13
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol If WSR can get that MG sorted out for next year Colin and the rest of the MG boys should be up there. I still havent understood the way MG have come into this championship in 2001, a win, a pole in only a handful of races, does a full season in 2002 and 2003 and doesnt really get the results until the mid way point or near the end of the season. Could be they need more testing...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:14 (Ref:719694)   #14
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O Neill does pull the rabbit out of the hat more and more these days but I think Neal has the aggression to get the job done. O'Neill tends to get bogged down in traffic while Matt will barge his way to the front. The car's are pretty much even stevens, bar the reliability problems the Honda's have. I think Paul would be pleased to turn an 8 into a 4 next year....
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:02 (Ref:720046)   #15
No. 1
Rookie

But what about the pit stops?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 06:44 (Ref:720313)   #16
KPC
Racer

England
What about them?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:59 (Ref:720431)   #17
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're forgetting two important factors both working in Paul O'Neill's favour. These are that Oulton is his local circuit and his good relationship with the regular Oulton marshals.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:10 (Ref:720616)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
How does his relationship with the marshals help. Are you planning to wave the yellow flags whenever Matt Neal drives past, stopping him from overtaking?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:16 (Ref:720624)   #19
KPC
Racer

England
Matt Neal, guilty until proven innocent!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 16:11 (Ref:720905)   #20
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
How does his relationship with the marshals help. Are you planning to wave the yellow flags whenever Matt Neal drives past, stopping him from overtaking?
Just the fact that he's built a good relationship with the marshals and also the crowd is his local one so they should be encouragong him.

Last edited by KayBee; 16 Sep 2003 at 16:11.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 21:15 (Ref:721225)   #21
No. 1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by KPC
What about them?
(The pit stops)
Honda have lost places in a lot of 2003 races due to slower pit stops. If the racing between Matt and Paul is as close as we expect then the pit stops could be the deciding factor.

Should be exciting racing!
Old 19 Sep 2003, 00:08 (Ref:723650)   #22
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Paul O'Neill has done a fantastic job this year - I must admit when he first came into the Championship I thought he was only there because his sister had put him there - but now I think he is definitely there on merit, however Matt Neal will finish the season with another win. I think he has been very very unlucky this year with reliability and should have been fighting for the championship - the least he deserves is third I feel!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 15:27 (Ref:727816)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Interesting, all the comments in this thread about reliability & it's Paul who suffers an engine failure; spoilt what was going to be a good race - although it gave us the pleasure of Paul's company at Island! A great drive in race 2, though......a touch of the 'red mist', methinks!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 16:22 (Ref:727868)   #24
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also a great drive from Neal in race two. From 12th to victory. He also had problems in race one, a worsening misfire which was why he dropped back so suddenly (he'd actually had to drive around it from the parade lap onwards but eventually it got so bad that he couldn;t keep up).

Neal thoroughly deserves third in the championship. Six wins, as many as Muller, more than Thompson. I hope he wins next year. He would be a great champion.