Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Nov 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3781682)   #26
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But who will promote the new championship, Eurosport or Lotti's WSC?
I hope Eurosport.

Even though the TC1 S2000 extension could be regarded as the beginning of the end, they still do a far better job at social media, website, videos and coverage with onboard cameras than WSC. Heck, even two commentators.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3781713)   #27
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fechna View Post
it would be a shame if WTCC gets downgraded to a World Cup...
Latins don't care much, as we say "el Mundial", "il Mondiale", "le Mondial".
Old 20 Nov 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3781794)   #28
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I hope Eurosport.

Even though the TC1 S2000 extension could be regarded as the beginning of the end, they still do a far better job at social media, website, videos and coverage with onboard cameras than WSC. Heck, even two commentators.
I'm not saying TCR social media etc is great, but the accessibility of WTCC is terrible. Eurosport embargo any sort of availability of races on catchup unless you pay for their full service. At least with TCR every session is shown on YouTube and available on catchup, phenomenal.

Let's be honest, Martin Haven or the TCR commentator are both fairly poor, Tom Gaymor is a much more professional character.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3781852)   #29
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
PawUloN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
there is no reason why there cannot be works backed teams
The only reason is there's no incentive to develop the cars as the rules I believe are strict and there's BoP, and manufacturers want wins, not just being on par with privateers.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 01:55 (Ref:3781870)   #30
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
I'm not saying TCR social media etc is great, but the accessibility of WTCC is terrible. Eurosport embargo any sort of availability of races on catchup unless you pay for their full service. At least with TCR every session is shown on YouTube and available on catchup, phenomenal.

Let's be honest, Martin Haven or the TCR commentator are both fairly poor, Tom Gaymor is a much more professional character.
Yeah, get rid of Eurosport, they're absolutely shite. They prioritise repeats of tennis over live coverage of a championship which they own and promote. Online streaming is the future of sports broadcasting and it works perfectly well for TCR and SRO championships.

Haven can stay as commentator. Yeah, he gets stuff wrong sometimes but I like his style. Tom Gaymor is one of the worst commentators I've ever had the misfortune of hearing, along with Toby Moody and Alex Jacques. How any of them remain employed in their current roles is a mystery.

Hopefully we'll hear more of Ben Edwards in the future after Channel 4's F1 contract ends. It's an absolute shame to have him being wasted on that rubbish.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3781943)   #31
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Fechna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawUloN View Post
The only reason is there's no incentive to develop the cars as the rules I believe are strict and there's BoP, and manufacturers want wins, not just being on par with privateers.
To do so you just need 3 things: a very professional team, three top drivers that can support each other with setup and tactics and enough cars in the hands of less capable teams and drivers to balance any bop threats with weaker scoring cars. Should be still cheaper then TC1. And the grids would swell...
Old 21 Nov 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3782082)   #32
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Yeah, get rid of Eurosport, they're absolutely shite. They prioritise repeats of tennis over live coverage of a championship which they own and promote. Online streaming is the future of sports broadcasting and it works perfectly well for TCR and SRO championships.
I agree, but the main problem is not Eurosport but Eurosport Events itself.

Lotti's gang is what it is. May they never be complete. May they never be content. May they never be perfect. But they are more reasonable.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3782151)   #33
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Every race of WTCC is available immediately (same day) after the event on YouTube seen as Eurosport stopped flagging any content years back. Has been the case for the past two seasons.

There's clearly more budget and production values in the WTCC broadcast. One commentator and no onboard cameras in TCR says a lot, the director who goes to replays of an empty track on several times this season doesn't help TCR either.

Plus WTCC allows drivers/teams to use as much footage as they wish and use their own cameras, as is the case with the excellent Coronel videos and the Polestar channel.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3782162)   #34
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I would rather no onboard footage and no replays at all than the WTCC obsession of showing the pit crew reaction DURING the one and only overtake of the whole race.

(Sorry, dragging the thing off topic)
Old 22 Nov 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3782211)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Unless Volvo cobble together a V40 TCR (something they already didn't fancy doing to stay in the STCC), I guess that's them out!
Even if TC1 continues they are probably out after this or next season.

With their electric future plans I don't think we will see them back in touring cars.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3782221)   #36
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Even if TC1 continues they are probably out after this or next season.

With their electric future plans I don't think we will see them back in touring cars.
I don't know why they aren't in FE already, odd decision from the outset to enter WTCC really.

Having said that, every car manufacturer has an electric future. Who's going to jump first and offer a top-flight electric touring car series?
Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3782222)   #37
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I would rather no onboard footage and no replays at all than the WTCC obsession of showing the pit crew reaction DURING the one and only overtake of the whole race.

(Sorry, dragging the thing off topic)
That's true, those are really annoying and completely unnecessary.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3782241)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't know why they aren't in FE already, odd decision from the outset to enter WTCC really.
Yep, maybe Volvo fears costs of FE will skyrock in two or three years time.

Quote:
Having said that, every car manufacturer has an electric future. Who's going to jump first and offer a top-flight electric touring car series?
Jaguar has plans.

Volvo could do something with the S60 STCC silhouette car.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3782287)   #39
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Manufacturers would jump on eWTCC. But they are not ready for today and 2018 season is in the corner.
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm
Old 23 Nov 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3782434)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Electric road cars are better suited for rallycross. I would expect the Volvo XC40 fighting Volkswagen and Peugeot in 2019.
Old 1 Dec 2017, 15:44 (Ref:3784570)   #41
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look like that WTCC/TCR merger will be confirmed on December 6th
http://www.serbiaring.com/vesti/wtcc...ju-6-decembra/

Ribeiro said that WTCC will introduce TCR regulations for next year and that TCR international Series will fold. Also FIA and Eurosport will stay in charge, but no info who will lead them Ribeiro or Lotti.

I think if Eurosport get TCR International then TCR Europe will consume ETCC.
Old 1 Dec 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3784622)   #42
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there will be more spectacular races but less glamour.

Why I think there will be less glamour?

No factory teams
No factory payed top drivers
Visibly slower cars
Old 2 Dec 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3784702)   #43
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
I would still find it hard to believe that the FIA would ban factory teams and drivers from their top tier touringcar series. Even TCR allowed Hyundai some races as clear works contenders, although without letting them score or qualify on pole.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3784704)   #44
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
In an Interview Alessandro Mariani from JAS Honda said the following:

"TCR is cost-effective, the performance is good and the cost-benefit ratio is excellent, and as a young driver you can easily move up to be a works driver because it's the same vehicle, it would be a very important step."

Why would he say that if he doesnt believe in a future for works teams and Works-Hondas in WTCC-TCR?
Old 2 Dec 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3784714)   #45
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzaan View Post
No factory payed top drivers
Why not factory drivers? I mean, manufacturers could sell their drivers to race in some team of the WTCR...or I'm wrong??
Old 2 Dec 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3784735)   #46
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinghio44 View Post
Why not factory drivers? I mean, manufacturers could sell their drivers to race in some team of the WTCR...or I'm wrong??
They could, but I doubt they will.
We will see the next years entry list soon - I don't know when - it will tell us a lot.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3784753)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
http://www.serbiaring.com/vesti/wtcc...ju-6-decembra/

Ribeiro said that WTCC will introduce TCR regulations for next year and that TCR international Series will fold. Also FIA and Eurosport will stay in charge, but no info who will lead them Ribeiro or Lotti.

I think if Eurosport get TCR International then TCR Europe will consume ETCC.
Lotti already announced a six-round TCR Trophy Europe. I guess it will inherit the TCR International entries and TV rights.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3784755)   #48
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzaan View Post
They could, but I doubt they will.
There will be worksdrivers...
With Menu, Tarquini, Vernay, Michelisz, Leuchter e.g. had the TCR Int. this year Worksdrivers as well
Old 2 Dec 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3784756)   #49
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i think that manufacturers want to see their cars in good hands... it's also to promote the models
Old 4 Dec 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3785123)   #50
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.serbiaring.com/vesti/zvac...je-dve-godine/
More info about WTCR
The series will run for at least two years, before eventual introduction of Class 1
Also there will be three races in weekend like in BTCC.