Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Sep 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2535232)   #1
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 British GP volunteering

Yes - it's that time of the year again.

The MSA has just issued the volunteering forms and guidelines to the various marshalling clubs. Interestingly they are hedging their bets - the forms are headed British GP Donington/European GP Silverstone - so please remember it could be at either circuit on July 9/10/11

All forms will be available on the BMMC website very shortly - but if you are NOT a BMMC member you must wait for your club to send you the correct form, then return the form to them.
The guidelines are:

1. Marshals to have completed a minimum of 12 marshalling days in the calendar year 2009 to qualify for nomination.
2. Forms must be completed and signed by the official.
3. Incomplete forms may not be considered.
4. Only complete one form if you have marshalled for more than one club. Please list all the details on one form
5. All chief/deputy/assistant chief officials must complete a nomination form.
6. Officials who have become Clerks of the Course and Stewards may submit an application to marshal if their experience in the marshalling grade is still current.
7. Nominations from 'novice' officials will not be accepted.
8. Only the official form should be used.

Remember the forms MUST be returned to your marshalling club - NOT to the MSA.

Your club will do the first filter and then the MSA selection committee will meet in February/March to make the final choice - if, as last year, there are too many volunteers.

Good luck and enjoy the event.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2535378)   #2
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bit of a quandary here. Gave up GPs in 2002 for various reasons but if it is at Donington then would want to do (along with everyone else) - if only because we did the previous Donny in 1993. But, if back to Sillystone then not so fussed. So ...... to volunteer or not to volunteer ????? Don't want to offer knowing that location would cause refusal if accepted to work and it was in Northants.

Think long and hard - no control over blues; long hours; FIA inspections; FIA full stop (we haven't done an FIA meeting for quite a few years); BUT campsite cameraderie; friends; fun; BUT what will the facilities be like?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....... If only the Meerkat did have it right and life really was "seemples XX"
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2535387)   #3
Don`t mention the war!
Rookie

Wales
swansea
Don`t mention the war! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE
The guidelines are:

1. Marshals to have completed a minimum of 12 marshalling days in the calendar year 2009 to qualify for nomination.
[/QUOTE] Does this include sprints/rallycross/ or just race days?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2535389)   #4
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the form will have boxes to tick to confirming willingness to attend Donington / Silverstone / Moscow?

I missed out last year, but might hold back until I was happy with (or even aware of) transport arrangements for Donny GP, as I think I'm allergic to busses
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2535407)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Maybe the form will have boxes to tick to confirming willingness to attend Donington / Silverstone / Moscow?

I missed out last year, but might hold back until I was happy with (or even aware of) transport arrangements for Donny GP, as I think I'm allergic to busses
Dave, if the choice was Moscow then it would be a no brainer - busses or otherwise!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2535410)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don`t mention the war! View Post
Does this include sprints/rallycross/ or just race days?
For the last couple of years, the minimum number of days could only be gained at race meetings.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2535434)   #7
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i want to do the gp next year but if it is at silverstone then i cannot

i can if it is at donington because i can go bak and forth as it is only 10 miles away,

not very practical if it is at silverstone.

i dont want to volunteer thinking it is at donno but if i get accepted and then find out its been moved to silverston what do i do then?.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2535450)   #8
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully I will have completed (& passed) my upgrade assessment from trainee to track next weekend. Will I still be classed as 'novice' (been marshalling over a year now with nearly 30 days under my belt)?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2535471)   #9
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
i want to do the gp next year but if it is at silverstone then i cannot

i can if it is at donington because i can go bak and forth as it is only 10 miles away,

not very practical if it is at silverstone.

i dont want to volunteer thinking it is at donno but if i get accepted and then find out its been moved to silverston what do i do then?.
Best to volunteer, by the time the forms are sent out to check your availability, the venue should be known.
I hope you intend to cycle the 10 miles because you may have to drive further to be bussed in.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2535493)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RCMADD...have you thought about camping for the weekend?? Also you will not be able to drive into Donington as they're saving that for VIP's only everyone else is going to be bussed in.

Conversely...I'm not keen on Donny as a circuit and would only really want to go to Silverstone...Moscow could be interesting though!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2535500)   #11
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chezza;2535493]RCMADD you will not be able to drive into Donington as they're saving that for VIP's only everyone else is going to be bussed in.

QUOTE]

so us the very important people that are Needed to run the event cant drive to the circuit?

hopefully the bus system that will be put in place picks us up from the camp site
Old 6 Sep 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2535518)   #12
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to all those who can volunteer! I really would love to get involved, or at least attend, but I'm a newbie, and so don't have enough signatures to apply.

Still, if anyone is successful and has a spare spectator pass they don't need...
Old 6 Sep 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2535538)   #13
jamesgregory87
Rookie

United Kingdom
Upminster - Essex
jamesgregory87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
same as ZombieSheep, good luck to everyone that apply, hopefully be there next year.

Also any spare tickets will be good if you get any
Old 7 Sep 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2535645)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If the camp site is on the circuit, which I suspect it will be, you will be able to drive to the camp site as you do with any other meeting. Once there you will not need to drive until Sunday evening, unless you are going out for dinner etc. For those who are going to commute daily then it remains to be seen what arrangements are made for marshals.

Let's not start moaning before we know the facts. If you really don't want to marshal at one circuit or the other then it might be best you don't volunteer at all as it could jeopardise the chance for other marshals who are happy to attend either venue.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2535667)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
Let's not start moaning before we know the facts. If you really don't want to marshal at one circuit or the other then it might be best you don't volunteer at all as it could jeopardise the chance for other marshals who are happy to attend either venue.
I was going to say something similar. We need to look at the bigger picture here for a while and not just focus on "me me me".

For anyone who has followed Donington's progress you will know that there are still a huge amount of unknowns about it so the information is just not there for the MSA or anyone else to give us.

The infrastructure is not built, details of funding haven't been released and there is no transport plan BUT Donington/Gillet say confidently that they will be ready for 2010. Will they be? Who knows.

Sooo, we just need to sit tight and see what happens early next year when things are clearer and we can all make decisions based on the location and the facilities etc. that are in place.

Perhaps Chris H can advise, but I imagine that the preferred approach might be that people apply even if they would only attend at one circuit, they can then decline when the invitation letters are sent out - this would allow someone on a "reserve" list to be let in?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2535947)   #16
Chris Hobson
Veteran

I suggest that if you only want to volunteer for one venue you black out the other on the top of the form.

I will then sort the replies into "Both/Silverstone only/Donington only".

Simple really
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2535953)   #17
Chris Hobson
Veteran

The forms ARE NOW on the BMMC website
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2535972)   #18
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice one chris i ill do that

for thoes that dont know me i wont be driving or cycling(too unfit for that)
i will be on my ped so access wont be a problem

as far as camping goes if at silverstone i just cannot be away from home for 3 days solid due to personal reasons, this is why i have not been able to marshal the f1 in the past.
where-as if at donington i can commute there and back each day.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2536000)   #19
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson View Post
The forms ARE NOW on the BMMC website
Form is now in the post
Old 7 Sep 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2536020)   #20
Robf
Rookie

England
Dudley
Robf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

Quick question, me and my dad have been marshalling since July 2008 and have now had our upgrade assesment, which we are sending off tomorrow for our upgrade from trainee to track (i think its track the green badge i think?) will we be able to volunteer for this GP as will have our upgrade very soon and have done over 20 days this season so far?

Thanks for any info?

Andrew and Bob
Old 7 Sep 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2536026)   #21
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same question as RobF - I will be filling in this form as a Trainee, but expect to be Track grade by the time of the GP (in fact, I hope to get this done by the end of October)

Should I not apply at all, or leave it until I have my upgrade through, or apply as Track and assume the upgrade will happen?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2536033)   #22
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From previous forum posts it's fairly clear that if you pass an assessment for upgrade, you are considered to be the new grade from that day forth, even though you may not have had your licence updated until much later. Therefore, your "current grade held" is your new grade.
If I was applying in the same circumstances I would take each race after the assessment day as part of the 12 day requirement, not the days leading up to it.
You can, of course, make this clear on your application.

Just my opinion.
Phil
Old 7 Sep 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2536239)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 yrs ago i applied after sending of my upgrade, i just included a letter in with my form stating that my upgrade was in the process of being finalized but i had not received anything back yet.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2536246)   #24
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
2 yrs ago i applied after sending of my upgrade, i just included a letter in with my form stating that my upgrade was in the process of being finalized but i had not received anything back yet.
Did you get in?

Phil has sort of answered my earlier question-I'm hoping to do my assessment at the weekend and have done about 20 days so far this year but obviously won't get 12 in after the assessment (if I pass), so it looks like I'm not eligible. I suppose there's no harm in applying anyway?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2536257)   #25
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea i got accepted for paddock

As far as i'm aware its not 12 after that assessment, its 12 and having passed that assessment