Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Jul 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2726803)   #351
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my first gp, loved it, corner was great, racin was awesome and for first time in a while at silverstone had a ball with everyone. a big thanks to all the guys on village, great laugh all weekend, cant belive kubica as i got him in the sweep. newt to do all weekend untill the 2nd gp3 race when we got two cars at once, one either side of the post.
camp site was great, again, crackin laugh. nice to put faces to names from here aswell.
dont know what gary birch is calling me crazy for though, thought i was quiite quiet for me.
special thanks to fazza for letting me stay in his caravan, made a huge difference and of course to all the guys at the curry club for feeding us.
will def be back again for f1 and sstone for 24hr this year
Old 14 Jul 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2726826)   #352
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Curious. At this point, having seen the race and reading everyone's comments I have that usual 'I must do that next year' feeling. Usually by the time the forms come out in Novemeber, something's happened in F1 that makes me think 'stuff 'em, bunch of self-important prima-donnas' and I don't volunteer.

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves, what little you seemed to have to do looked very efficiently done.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2726836)   #353
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
I was on Chapel Inside down the far end just past the flag point, and to watch that happen from where we were, it looked a pretty slick operation. Very well done to all those involved.
i made my way half way down and got the other 2 marshals with me to hold station, i made myself visable to let post 8 we were available to assist if required, the snatch vehicle did move on to the apron so i was not totally sure of which plan they would use.
once they pushed it my way and then retreated back off the track,( so not to may bodies in one area)
we then went to recover the car, even spoke to the Post Chief on 8 and he was also impressed with the recovery.
Its days like this makes all the club meetings worth while and gaining the experience.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2726841)   #354
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Glad you all enjoyed yourselves, what little you seemed to have to do looked very efficiently done.
You know what the thing I noticed about it most.....it's actually just another race meeting. I was...not quite terrified, but apprehensive on account of what a big deal it is, especially being yellow flag on post 1, but actually, once it got into it and the race started to progress, I quickly realised that...if someone dropped it, I need to throw a yellow, same as any other meeting.

I was really worried about doing something stupid*, that would affect my chances of going back. I will do it again, but I also quickly came to the conclusion that...if they don't invite me back again for any reason...pfft, their loss :\

* i.e. something they don't like.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2726851)   #355
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
.if they don't invite me back again for any reason...pfft, their loss :\
In what way is it their loss??
Enjoy it on the TV next year!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2726867)   #356
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
In what way is it their loss??
Enjoy it on the TV next year!
Well, it might be immodest of me, but I happen to think I'm a pretty decent flaggie

You misread what I said...I'm likely to apply again next year, and I don't believe I've done anything that would make me unwelcome.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 06:31 (Ref:2726939)   #357
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Curious. At this point, having seen the race and reading everyone's comments I have that usual 'I must do that next year' feeling. Usually by the time the forms come out in Novemeber, something's happened in F1 that makes me think 'stuff 'em, bunch of self-important prima-donnas' and I don't volunteer.

I do the GP because I enjoy the atmosphere, I love the campsite (OK it's easier to love when it's not freezing cold like last year!), I enjoy seeing all the people you only seem to see at the GP. I love the noise of F1 cars, I love seeing F1 pit stops in action , the noise from the grandstands and I love seeing little kids dressed up in team overalls carrying flags that are bigger than them!

I'm not bothered by the racing and I ignore the politics, we do what "they" want us to do, it may not be how we normally do things, but it's "their" train set and we do what "they" want whether it makes sense to me or not.

It's absolutely not for everyone but I love it!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2726959)   #358
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I do the GP because I enjoy the atmosphere, I love the campsite (OK it's easier to love when it's not freezing cold like last year!), I enjoy seeing all the people you only seem to see at the GP. I love the noise of F1 cars, I love seeing F1 pit stops in action , the noise from the grandstands and I love seeing little kids dressed up in team overalls carrying flags that are bigger than them!

I'm not bothered by the racing and I ignore the politics, we do what "they" want us to do, it may not be how we normally do things, but it's "their" train set and we do what "they" want whether it makes sense to me or not.

It's absolutely not for everyone but I love it!
Great minds think alike Piglet.
Well put.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2727041)   #359
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Great minds think alike Piglet.
Well put.
well said Piglet, couldn't have put it better myself.
it's not like they need us to jump thru hoops....
now there's an idea for next year ...
Old 15 Jul 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2727263)   #360
fi_watts
Rookie

fi_watts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had an awesome time at Woodcote Gap, easily my best GP so far. Not a lot to do on flags, but something fantastic company and now have a new sparkly cowboy hat to add to the Uni fancy dress box!! Score
BIG thanks to our lovely doctor who kept making sure we were drinking enough during the F1 sessions, and giving me magic sunburn cream
Here's hoping I get picked again next year!!!
Old 15 Jul 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2727333)   #361
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another first for me, too, and no problems about doing it again. Got to add my thanks to the Curry Club - I've had far too many curries than my doctor thinks is good for me, but not many better. Worth the trip for that alone, so put me down for next year, whether selected or not

Of all the things that might have happened, getting photographed on post during qualifying, with a delegation from Texas who are building an F1 track there, wasn't on the top 1000 tried blagging an invite for when they open without much success.

At times it felt like an Oulton Away Day and that credit must go to John, Colin, Steve, Dave, Alan, Gary and Fran (nice to put faces to names). My thanks and sympathy to Stuart for getting lumbered with me all weekend. And a final thank you to Anthony and Fagash for dispelling the myths about Silverstone IO's as they were a pleasure to work with.

When are the forms out for next year?
Old 17 Jul 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2727961)   #362
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the new Abbey Link flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Well done to the team at Club,
WFM, glad you had a flag point that you could actually flag properly from, i.e. no catch fencing infront of you wider than the box, even the shortest of flag waving sessions were a struggle at full stretch!!

Great weekend, at Club Out, thanks to Clive, Charles and Ian.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2728217)   #363
Ianwales
Rookie

Wales
Llanelli
Ianwales should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Thanks to Clive, Charles and Darren for a fabtastic three days at Club Out.

Only thing I want to know is who decided to do a FIA circuit inspection just as the Red Arrows were displaying, what rotten timing.

Ian
Old 17 Jul 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2728257)   #364
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianwales View Post

Only thing I want to know is who decided to do a FIA circuit inspection just as the Red Arrows were displaying, what rotten timing.

Ian

didnt bother me, i had a really good view from copse.

had a good time at my 1st gp hopefully will be there next yr
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2728912)   #365
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and my guest had a great weekend.

On arrival the camp site staff said their was no way I would get in to my allocated plot and took me to a space that was larger and quieter, they were very helpful!

The guest ticket seat for Sunday was a great bonus, meaning my guest could stay in bed and go to the seat at a leisurely time. (Also guests using any standard stand on the Friday and Saturday was very good)

I was with a team focused on a professional job as it should be, BUT enjoyment was also important, it was great working with everyone on the Loop and what a fantastic place to see the cars twice per lap!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003