Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Aug 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3118876)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its amazing how manufacturers can risk their reputations with such underhand tactics. As well as cars what about components like the Alfa Romeo aerodynamic add ons?
Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3118915)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Batmobile BMWs were homologated on the basis of a kit of parts. The spoilers etc. were found in the boot of the car when you bought your CSL. So no change there.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3119008)   #28
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Alfa BTCC cars also had the kit of parts to elevate the rear spoiler and extend the front splitters in the boot..... Belatedly, the add-on aero kits were banned.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3119012)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair comment but it demonstrates that there was nothing new.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3119028)   #30
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Now I thought that Frank was probably the best all-round driver of the modern era, but no-one has yet really explained definitively
just how the ZL1 motor got homologated in the second-generation Z28 Camaro, which is the question that Al asked in the first place.

Anyone feeling moral guilt through having a 427ci all-alloy Chevy motor in their second-generation Camaro can assuage that guilt by removing the motor, packaging it carefully, and dispatching it to Mr. A Weyman, Watford.

He will take on the guilt for you.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3119046)   #31
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ah yes...

Was this the story where 500 240 Turbo's were supposed to be supplied for homologation counting but there was only 150 present, and even those may just have been rolling shells?
The story that I heard was about the evolution variants required to homologate new pieces into Gp.A; 250 complete cars. Volvo produced 250 complete 240T E2s, and exported them to the USA for FIA inspection. The cars were inspected, and homologation of the E2 variant duly granted.

Subsequently, most of the cars had all the Gp.A pieces removed, and the cars were sold in the US through the dealer network as base-model 240s.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3119060)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Found this while looking on the web for the GP A Vovo currently for sale. Hope the link works!

http://flathood.saliv8.com/history.php

Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3119262)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Found this while looking on the web for the GP A Vovo currently for sale. Hope the link works!

http://flathood.saliv8.com/history.php

Thanks Mike, that is an extremely interesting link.....

Certainly sheds more light on what manufacturers attempted to do in order to meet the regulations in those days, rightly or wrongly.

Do I detect that you considering purchasing the 240T then???
Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3119265)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thread title updated to include Group A.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3119312)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Do I detect that you considering purchasing the 240T then???
I'd have to sell a couple first!

Would be a great addition to any GpA grid, but that wasn't my lotto number that came up on Saturday!

Thank you Peter, apologies if we are going off topic...
Old 13 Aug 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3119436)   #36
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Batmobile BMWs were homologated on the basis of a kit of parts. The spoilers etc. were found in the boot of the car when you bought your CSL. So no change there.
Not quite correct Peter, the cars were sold with all the homologated bits attached, except for the aero kit which was deemed dangerous by the TUV for road use. Even though they made BMW fit rubber edges to all of it. Thats why it was in the boot.

BMW did try to Homologate the CSL for the start of the `72 season. They tried to convince the FIA they had built enough cars, but were actually about 331 short...!
Old 13 Aug 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3119440)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed, I was drawing the similarity to the Alfa and yes the arches etc. were fitted but the aero stuff wasn't.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3119463)   #38
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a case where the manufacturer read the rules very carefully. There was a minimum number for the 'hot' competiton version, but there wasn't a minimum niumber for the 'base' version. So they homologated the 'hot' version as the base car and the 'cooking' version as the variation; they made avery few base cars and thousands of the 'hot' version.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3119469)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, do tell.

In 1975, Ford was preparing the mkII Capri but it already had its sights in the fscelift mkIII. So it produce and homologated a front spoiler for group 1. The shape and profile of that spoiler was the same as the final mkIII shape.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3122917)   #40
superroo73
Rookie

Germany
Germany near Frankfurt
superroo73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grp.2 Fiesta MK1

Does anybody know a Grp.2 prepared Fiesta (think only the 1600 was homologatet for Grp.2) I get a sliding throttle kit with Kugelfischer pump for mine. It was comming from a german ex STT Fiesta
Greeds
Stefan
Old 22 Aug 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3123235)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Boreham did a Gr2 rally Fiesta in about 1980 but couldn't tell you what spec in had.