Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3400066)   #351
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Even Clerks make mistakes. It was a specific instance, not a generalisation, and it pee'd me off. I'm better now.
I look forward to the day you get the same instruction from the same clerk at a different circuit. You'll run out of places to play eventually
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3400094)   #352
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post

Agree between yourselves before first session that yellow flagger says "yellow" and blue flagger puts out the second yellow. The delay in blueflagger hearing the "yellow" and putting yellow out should be 2 seconds or less compared to yellow flagger doing it themselves. Or yellow flagger gives second yellow to blueflagger and blueflagger knows this means to put the flag out directly.
How far can an approaching car travel in those two seconds delay?
Not sure passing a yellow flag to someone else whilst waving your own yellow flag in a clearly visible manner is as simple a task as you suggest, especially in the confined space of many Donington flag posts.

As for numbersix's point, if RC believe that the situation is too dangerous for a Hazzard Board and demands a yellow then under the new scheme I would suggest that they should be considering a red or SC, given that, with a lone flag marshal on the post, a permanently waved yellow negates any real possibility of further effective warning should another incident occur.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3400100)   #353
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
How far can an approaching car travel in those two seconds delay?
As anyone who studied engineering back in the days of Imperial units will remember, 60 mph = 88 ft/sec.

So, car travelling at 120 mph will travel 352 ft in two seconds - that's over 100 metres nowadays.

However, I don't think that in the scenario we're talking about the delay would be anything like two seconds.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3400157)   #354
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
So that's 100m less distance the driver has to assess the situation and react! If you are the driver of the car sideways on at the bottom of Deer Leap I guess you might wish that 2 sec/100m extra warning had not been thrown away by someone with zero idea of how things work on the bank.
Given that the idea for this allegedly came from a driver on the race committee I suspect they would be racing in the type of series where lack of marshals is not a problem - unlike the other 95% of drivers out there.
Old 1 May 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3400193)   #355
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Given that the idea for this allegedly came from a driver on the race committee I suspect they would be racing in the type of series where lack of marshals is not a problem - unlike the other 95% of drivers out there.
And therefore quite possibly from the sort of series where you could wave 10 yellows on a post and he still wouldn't slow down before blaming the marshals for the resulting accident... allegedly (since I've no idea who he is).
Old 4 May 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3402013)   #356
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed after the two big crashes on the outside of Church at Thruxton in the BTCC today, despite the track being clear we had a waved yellow before Church and double waved at the apex - they were there for 3 laps but we still we had passes under yellow. What would have happened in the event of a car spinning on the exit - an extra yellow would've been stuck out?
Old 5 May 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3402533)   #357
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the sector was left yellow because of the damage to the barrier, I imagine any further incident in that area would have brought out an immediate red flag.
Old 6 May 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3402760)   #358
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I think the sector was left yellow because of the damage to the barrier, I imagine any further incident in that area would have brought out an immediate red flag.
Sector was left yellow under direction of race control.