Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2 May 2015, 01:18 (Ref:3532780)   #126
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice thought, Paul, but alas I think not. Enough to do as it is and that's going slowly enough!

Saw the doctor and am now on antibiotics. He reckons it is a sinus problem (I've always suffered) caused by the pressure in the head acting on them. Hopefully the pills will reduce the snot and slime (lovely!).

As you can see I am up early again. We had a rather nice Chinese takeaway and then I just fell asleep. So another night catnapping on the settee so as not to disturb Bill's beauty sleep.

Considering buying a wig. Sensible ideas on style/colour will be gratefully received.

BTW: We are having a bit of a tidy up (we're both squirrels) in dribs and drabs. Some stuff has gone to the Hospice shop in Newport (Shropshire) but we're also trying to put some stuff together for Nadine, although getting it to her could be the problem. "Shelagh's Mum" will undoubtedly be involved. So at least we are trying to do our bit for charity.

I've now got a horrible mental image of crocheted flags.........
Old 2 May 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3532835)   #127
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Considering buying a wig. Sensible ideas on style/colour will be gratefully received.
May I respectfully suggest that this is the wrong place to make such a request?

Who'll be the first to suggest orange . . .
Old 3 May 2015, 03:43 (Ref:3533371)   #128
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Latest suggestions are for dark and short. Otherwise long and blonde, but then Bill wouldn't recognise me.

As they are now treating symptoms rather than attempting yet another "cure", will I be around long enough to actually wear a wig? And I have always hated wearing anything on my head unless necessary due to sun or (more usually) rain! That explains the cupboard full of baseball caps!
Old 5 May 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3534342)   #129
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
My sister got a couple of wigs in different styles (through the voucher scheme, I think) which her hairdresser then tweaked to suit her - both were shortish (as her hair had been previously) but after tweaking she called one of them "Bob" (as it was ).

Happily her own hair is now growing back fairly well, but she was happy with the wigs when she had them - and they did suit her.

Hope you find something which suits you and helps you feel better.....
Old 21 May 2015, 02:17 (Ref:3539808)   #130
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Had to spend a night in the hospital last week but was discharged once feeling better (and able to walk without falling over) as they couldn't give me anything so why take up a trolley/bed. Did not like being carried downstairs in a chair by the lovely ambulance men and lady but that's more due to being a scaredy cat and the balance problems. They were wonderful and we only called them after ringing 111.
Much better now, thank goodness, and really learning to have huge rests between doing anything. If anyone else ends up in this position (hope not), then make that your number one lesson. REST. I wish I had. Now just sleep as and when rather than trying for 8 hours overnight. Much better.
We're still having our "clear out" and the bag of stuff to go to Nadine/OP is getting fatter. It is like delving into history! I am trying to be ruthless but it isn't easy - which is why we have so much in the first place. Never be a squirrel.
Love to all.
Old 21 May 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3539837)   #131
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Never be a squirrel.

Old 21 May 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3540003)   #132
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd hate to move house. It would take weeks to sort through everything. I'd have some great memories as I rediscovered things but I think I'll take the easy option and stay put.

What's the best/worst/strangest things you've come across so far?
Old 22 May 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3540064)   #133
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Paul, I wouldn't know where to start.

We have oodles of lanyards, found a box of ear plugs, car models, umbrella, DVDs, etc - and I haven't been upstairs yet!

I am going to get a bed for downstairs so I don't have to sleep on the settee. This will involve moving the bookcases, so who knows what we'll find there when we take the books out. One of the cases is almost entirely devoted to motor racing books. I think it will be a history lesson.

If anybody wants any Readers' Digest Condensed Books, let me know. We have lots!

And apologies for the "squirrel" comment. Couldn't think of anything else at the time. But we do have a squirrel that comes to eat from the nut feeder outside the window. Grey, of course, but a lovely sight.
Old 22 May 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3540126)   #134
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you know where there are proper British red squirrels to be found, not those dastardly American imports .......

I wouldn't try going this weekend though. Apparently there are going to be millions of people lining the coast around here trying to get a glimpse of three queens. I didn't know crossdressing had become a spectator sport ....
Old 22 May 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3540261)   #135
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

And apologies for the "squirrel" comment. Couldn't think of anything else at the time. But we do have a squirrel that comes to eat from the nut feeder outside the window. Grey, of course, but a lovely sight.
Was teasing
Old 23 May 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3540315)   #136
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Was teasing
I thought you would be but I'm old fashioned enough not to take that sort of thing for granted, so would rather say "sorry" than make an incorrect assumption. Sign of the times and my age.

By the way, we've been very innovative and our squirrel is known as "Nutkin"
Old 23 May 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3540340)   #137
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Well, one thing about "catnapping", I am clearing out the first of the bookcases - only on to the table for now so at least we can shift the case ready for the bed.
Wow! Its like a history lesson in one go. Who wants a book about Nigel Mansell in 1992? Lots of sorting to do!
Maybe I should set up a stall at the Classic!
Seriously, though, I didn't realise that we had so many really good books on the shelves.
Not read for years but great to have.
Told you we were squirrels!
Now just got to get Bill to agree to getting rid of some of them.......
Old 3 Jun 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3544758)   #138
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I have my lovely hospital style bed and my Mum got me some thick, soft pillows. Two lovely nights not on the settee, and wearing pyjamas!

Alas, I took my last dose of steroids a bit late so am waiting for them to wear off enough for me to go to sleep!

Finding yet more stuff for Nadine to have and also for the Hospice shop. Apologies, but I'm back to the "squirrel". And this is after my mum and sister have taken away a load of stuff as well!
Old 4 Jun 2015, 08:34 (Ref:3544826)   #139
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Squirrel!?! Was I being called?
Old 4 Jun 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3544986)   #140
Paul Newns
Veteran

Well at least you know where the nuts are. At a trackside somewhere any weekend.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3545753)   #141
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
The nuts are going fast. One squirrel has discovered how to hang upside down on the feeder to eat them, another, mad one, keeps knocking the feeder to the ground and we now have 3 baby squirrels who are delightful when at play!
Old 12 Jun 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3547782)   #142
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
We were hoping to make it to the Classic meeting at Silverstone, if only to see people rather than cars (we've seen them all before!). Alas, with my woes and Bill's bad foot, we have decided it is a non-starter.
So, apologies to everyone that we would have loved to have seen, and everybody else as well!
Old 19 Jul 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3559581)   #143
Paul Newns
Veteran

Shelagh has asked me to update you all with her current situation, which I'm happy to do.

A few days ago she had a fall. What was suspected to be broken ribs turned out to be just bruising. Very painful but heals quicker.

An MRI scan was carried out as part of the investigation and as well as discovering it wasn't her ribs it also didn't reveal anything "new and nasty" (Shelagh's words).

She's currently in her local hospice recovering, and expects to be there for a couple of weeks before being allowed to go home. A short spell there was already planned so that she could get some proper rest. She doesn't sleep very well, and I suspect neither does Bill.

An anonymous well wisher has sent Shelagh some flowers and she has asked me to pass on her thanks. They are with her in the hospice and both she and the staff are enjoying them. If the sender would like me to pass on their name send me a PM.

I'm sure we all wish Shelagh well. I'll keep updating until she s able to take over herself again.

One final text Shelagh sent me I'd like to share in full as it once again shows her spirit - "Sad news about Bianchi. What have I got to complain about?". I can only admire the lady.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 23:35 (Ref:3566115)   #144
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry to read you've been taken today and you are no longer with us xxxxx
Closed Thread