Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 May 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2211429)   #1
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Halfords" Civic Type-R vs. "JAS" Accord Euro-R ?

which from these 2 cars is stronger, both are now S2000, but they never compete against each other, and is there any chance to see Team Dynamics selling some Civics to customers ?
Old 25 May 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2211436)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Civic would be stronger - simply because it has done more running/had more development, the Accord did well in 06 and will do well again this year I expect, but still not quite up to the Civic IMO.

Having said that, the Accord is a very quick Touring Car in a straight line, so depending on the circuit, it may well be quicker in some cases.
Old 25 May 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2211455)   #3
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
why not a "wild card" entry for Team Hallfords at Brands Hatch, as Team RAC did last year with their 320Si, against WTCC regulars ? to see it against Thommo Accord
Old 25 May 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2211460)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both BTCC and WTCC are racing on the same weekend this year.
Old 25 May 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2211636)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I see no reason why the TD Civics won't eventually get sold on to another team. If they could have found a buyer at the end of last year they would have sold them and build two new cars. The reason they didn't build new cars is because they didn't have a buyer and needed the funds from from the sale to finance the build.

If you mean will they build customer cars to order, I would be very surprised if that happened.

Unless we get TD doing a WTCC race or JAS doing a BTCC race, neither of which are very likely, we are never going to get a accurate comparison. Even then the differing success weights (one or the other would have newcomer ballast) and the need for one team to adopt to different tyres mean it wouldn't be a fair comparision.
Old 25 May 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2211680)   #6
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put Tommo in the Civic and it will be a question of which way did he go!
Old 25 May 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2211701)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
He'll go the other way. Thompson had the opportunity to be in a Civic and turned it down.
Old 26 May 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2212138)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I much prefer the Accord, a proper "saloon" touring car.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2212293)   #9
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
He'll go the other way. Thompson had the opportunity to be in a Civic and turned it down.
Witch offcourse wasn't about the car as much as is was about the championship he would be driving it.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2212313)   #10
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Kidzer, the Civic has soi far seemed more impressive than Accord, the drivers seem to be able to really push the Civic and throw it about, and it seems to have some good speed in it. The Civic is locally homologated in the BTCC though, so it's unlikely anyone will buy them up for the WTCC, though it would be good for comparison and would most certainly be a match for the current WTCC crop (even before the weight dispensations!)

Its not the Type-R thoug, it was built before the Type-R was released and so based on the normal one.
Old 26 May 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2212391)   #11
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
I much prefer the Accord, a proper "saloon" touring car.
I agree with you, the Accord is now the most beautiful S2000 TC, and about the Civic, I thought that is the Type-R version !!
Old 26 May 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2212396)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
I agree with you, the Accord is now the most beautiful S2000 TC, and about the Civic, I thought that is the Type-R version !!
The Team Dynamics machine is the Type S. For S2000 rules I believe the car has to be a 4+ door model and even before it was released the new Type-R was going to be available as a 3 door only... hence the reason why TD went with the 5 door Type-S. Please feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm misinformed.
Old 26 May 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2212403)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't the Dynamics Civic a "local Homologation special", so wouldn't get into the WTCC as a wild card?
Old 26 May 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2212419)   #14
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TD Civic is locally homologated, but thtey could get it homollogated by the FIA, as I don't believe it contraviens their regs, or if they wanted a wild card entry, they could enter but not regestered for points, like WSR last year, as his gearbox is sequential, not H-pattern like hte FIA states.

Not that they will, because Halfords would only pay for British rounds seeing as they are a Btitain based company, and hte British round clashes with the BTCC.
Old 26 May 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2212421)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

Even with local homologation it could in theory be allowed to race in WTCC. Other cars have been allowed as wild card / guest entries, notably the Danish Peugeot 307, German Toyota and Swedish Volvo, even the Team RAC BMW was a local homologation WTCC entry thanks to it's sequential gearbox.

The TD Civic is a bit more of a 'local special' than the others as it's based on a car that doesn't exist. It uses the 5-door Type-S shell with a Type-R engine.
Old 26 May 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2212643)   #16
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
reshoes is correct on all counts.

Also, remember, the Accord has just (or just about to) be replaced by a new model, so I would suspect that JAS or someone else are already eyeing up the new car......
Old 27 May 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2212741)   #17
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
I think the Civic would be stronger - simply because it has done more running/had more development, the Accord did well in 06 and will do well again this year I expect, but still not quite up to the Civic IMO.
Huh?! Civic has done more running? Only Team Dynamics has run Civics since 2007 while several there have been several JAS Accords racing since 2005, besides WTCC, in Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Finland/Balticum...
Old 27 May 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2212778)   #18
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The TD Civic is a bit more of a 'local special' than the others as it's based on a car that doesn't exist. It uses the 5-door Type-S shell with a Type-R engine.
Not quite. The same goes for the Chevrolet Lacetti, as the biggest petrol engine in that car was a 1.8. It's running a 2-liter Opel engine now if I'm not mistaken. And also, correct me if I'm wrong, that's part of the S2000 regulations: you're able to switch engines with any 2-liter engine that can be found within your company. So according to the S2000 rules you could even slot that Type-R engine in to an Accord.

As said, this is how those rules once were explained to me, I could be wrong there.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2212802)   #19
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lacetti was available with 2 liter engine in Canada as Chevrolet Optra.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2212823)   #20
Frederich
Rookie

Denmark
Aarhus, Denmark
Frederich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the Lacetti are (maybe was) available with a 2 litre engine, however it is an old one. If you remember the old Opel Kadett D 2.0 Gsi, then you know the engine that the chevys are running today.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2212868)   #21
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought they just bored out the 1800cc engine to 2000cc?
Old 27 May 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2212882)   #22
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You sure as the fact was Dynamics needed a paying driver which Tommo would def not be Interested in.
Old 27 May 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2212923)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
And also, correct me if I'm wrong, that's part of the S2000 regulations: you're able to switch engines with any 2-liter engine that can be found within your company. So according to the S2000 rules you could even slot that Type-R engine in to an Accord.
Under Super Touring regulations that was certainly the case - originally the V6 engine wasn't available in a Mondeo road car but was fitted to the Probe. As far as I'm aware S2000 rules don't have that allowance, the block has to come from the actual road car represented although you can bore out / sleeve down to the required 2 litres.
Old 27 May 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2212925)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
You sure as the fact was Dynamics needed a paying driver which Tommo would def not be Interested in.
The rumour was that TD offered to pay Thompson and he still wasn't interested. Although as Werner said, that was more down to Thompson not wanting to be in the BTCC than not wanting to be in a Civic.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2212969)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As far as I'm aware S2000 rules don't have that allowance, the block has to come from the actual road car represented although you can bore out / sleeve down to the required 2 litres.
What engine are Vauxhall using in the Vectra? There currently is only a turbo's 2ltr available in the Vectra range. IIRC, I'd heard it is a GM unit from another model fitted to the Vectra.