Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Apr 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3899661)   #326
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everyone seems to be laying the blame for this homologation issue with Mr Stewart... weirdly enough the teams actually signed this off thru the VASC Commission..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Apr 2019, 00:50 (Ref:3899663)   #327
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Seamer is quoted saying the changes are transparent, but I have not seen any figures? Either to justify the changes (eg separating DJRTP performance vs some of the Holden backmarkers) or to quantify them.

Hard to be transparent when you don't have real data - if you're interested just look at micro sector times from PI, it's what Supercars did... Or did you want to see real data, like drag coefficient numbers for all models?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 01:09 (Ref:3899665)   #328
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Everyone seems to be laying the blame for this homologation issue with Mr Stewart... weirdly enough the teams actually signed this off thru the VASC Commission..
Dont we always blame the people who arent in the room when something hits the fan.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 01:48 (Ref:3899667)   #329
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
You mean Mr Stuart (sorry). You're absolutely right, the homologations (I think "Vehicle Recognition" is actually the term used but I may be out of date with that) are signed off by the commission and I think also the teams representing each manufacturer in the process.

They're being quite harsh in my view when they criticise Mr Stuart - he was of course brought into the role as the technical head but then subsequently the sporting head left and Mr Stuart ended up with both roles - asking one person to do the work of two people on a prolonged basis often leads to less than ideal outcomes.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 02:50 (Ref:3899672)   #330
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
You mean Mr Stuart (sorry). You're absolutely right, the homologations (I think "Vehicle Recognition" is actually the term used but I may be out of date with that) are signed off by the commission and I think also the teams representing each manufacturer in the process.

They're being quite harsh in my view when they criticise Mr Stuart - he was of course brought into the role as the technical head but then subsequently the sporting head left and Mr Stuart ended up with both roles - asking one person to do the work of two people on a prolonged basis often leads to less than ideal outcomes.
Bloody spell check..
And the Holden representatives were present at the tests and their team owners represented on the VASC commission...

They keep calling the testing VCAT which always has me thinking of the consumer affairs mob down south of the same initials..
Old 26 Apr 2019, 03:00 (Ref:3899674)   #331
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Hard to be transparent when you don't have real data - if you're interested just look at micro sector times from PI, it's what Supercars did... Or did you want to see real data, like drag coefficient numbers for all models?
Perhaps Supercars could explain the basis for the change, like in the old days when they used timing analysis to either act or hold on parity adjustments. There was a trigger level of X% before any action was taken and I think some sort of statistically valid analysis where you throw out 'anomaly' times. This is a problem when there are only 6 Mustangs of course, very small sample size, from 2 of the bigger teams. How much of a factor is it DJRTP getting everything right versus other teams dropping the ball?

Drag coefficient as per the homologation testing should be close enough at least at 200km/h otherwise they wouldn't have been approved, so there is more to it than that.

I was wondering how much they have cut off the end plates, splitter and Gurney - pretty basic info.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 03:07 (Ref:3899675)   #332
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The test doesn't account for how the aero devices behave through a corner or at yaw.

Which is what people in the industry are up in arms about.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 03:09 (Ref:3899676)   #333
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The test doesn't account for how the aero devices behave through a corner or at yaw.

Which is what people in the industry are up in arms about.
Except for 2 teams
Old 26 Apr 2019, 03:35 (Ref:3899677)   #334
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
I was wondering how much they have cut off the end plates, splitter and Gurney - pretty basic info.
Pics of new end plates here.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/04/26...te-comparison/

Still a sponsor friendly size....

Parity based on race lap times to me is sporting parity, not technical parity. It's assuming teams, equipment, setups and drivers are all of equal quality.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Apr 2019, 04:57 (Ref:3899681)   #335
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except for 2 teams
And around 50% of the series' fanbase.

What were your thoughts at the time when CAMS added weight and boost restrictions to the R32 GTR?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 05:06 (Ref:3899682)   #336
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
What were your thoughts at the time when CAMS added weight and boost restrictions to the R32 GTR?
Funny that you draw an analog between the two as both were fast and loose with the rules it seems...
Old 26 Apr 2019, 05:09 (Ref:3899683)   #337
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Funny that you draw an analog between the two as both were fast and loose with the rules it seems...
The Mustangs comply 100% with the current rule set.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 06:02 (Ref:3899694)   #338
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Mixer can't help but whinge.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3899701)   #339
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You know apart from illegal external ballast and bending wings... Allegedly
Old 26 Apr 2019, 06:51 (Ref:3899705)   #340
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
You know apart from illegal external ballast and bending wings... Allegedly
Apart from nothing, otherwise they would have been fined.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:16 (Ref:3899709)   #341
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Apart from nothing, otherwise they would have been fined.
Not a good look really and considering it is a grey area in the rules, to officially penalise your wonderful "new" manufacturer for their participation.

The mufflers are 100% illegal in the spirit of the rules and they were dangerous. If they were innocent they would have kept running them.

It is interesting that nobody official is talking about the wings but it is going to be interesting to see how the Stangs go in Perth. All cars will now have to pass a deflection test just like was imposed on F1 for the same reasons.

Nobody ever caught the Nissan team for cheating in Group A either but now the guys running them in historics have to present them as raced, so they have boost controllers and all sorts of other goodies they were not supposed to have back in the day.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3899712)   #342
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Not a good look really and considering it is a grey area in the rules, to officially penalise your wonderful "new" manufacturer for their participation.

The mufflers are 100% illegal in the spirit of the rules and they were dangerous. If they were innocent they would have kept running them.
LOL! Nice troll.

"It is also not illegal or even a grey area under the current wording of the ballast rules, just a creative interpretation of the regulations."

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/03/15...ity-row-erupts

“"I believe we were running those mufflers as early as Phillip Island last year,” said Story.
“There was regime change in the Supercars technical department. They didn’t like it; they asked us to change it -- and we did,” he explained."

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...slowed-117532/

Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3899718)   #343
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
"It is also not illegal or even a grey area under the current wording of the ballast rules, just a creative interpretation of the regulations."
You said it yourself. The heavy mufflers are external ballast, which is illegal, but the team used a grey area in the wording to use something that is against the spirit of the rule.

Penske found itself penalised in NASCAR in 2013 and 2017 for "grey areas" that Roger had to defend as "not cheating". Joey Logano won 1/3 of the races in 2017 until he was pinged, "encumbering" all the races won, finding 2 of the team's crew chiefs benched, and Roger Penske himself docked owners points and fined $200k.

You can read here from the man himself:

Quote:
“I certainly don’t think it’s cheating,” Penske said. “You are looking at the rules and you are working in a gray area. We all work in the gray areas. We’re trying to be as competitive as we can be, we’ve got very creative minds and it takes a lot of creative minds to be competitive.”
So maybe 2019 is the year for "not cheating" in Supercars. Penkse is full of people very experienced with reading rule books, so you can't then complain when your interpretation and implementation of something outside the scope of the rules as they are written is cleaned up by a rule interpretation, midseason.

At least in the Supercars case, the results stand, but there is now clarity around the grey areas. Will it stop Scotty from winning? I'd suggest maybe not.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3899742)   #344
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
You said it yourself. The heavy mufflers are external ballast, which is illegal, but the team used a grey area in the wording to use something that is against the spirit of the rule.

Penske found itself penalised in NASCAR in 2013 and 2017 for "grey areas" that Roger had to defend as "not cheating". Joey Logano won 1/3 of the races in 2017 until he was pinged, "encumbering" all the races won, finding 2 of the team's crew chiefs benched, and Roger Penske himself docked owners points and fined $200k.
You sure enjoy clutching at straws.

Why don't we forget grey areas altogether, and look into how TWR cheated extensively in the ETCC and the BTCC.

And from that lineage we should thus conclude HRT were cheating, and by association, WAU would/must be too.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3899743)   #345
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cmon Mixer your better than that. You could apply the same liberal interpretation of reading the rules to advantage by practicably EVERY team in pit lane. 888 have been the masters of it. Good on em. It yielded results. The games changing like it did last year when 888 debuted the ZB with composite panels.

Leaded mufflers or lead lining between the muffler and the floor? Ones a grey area, the others illegal. 888 had flexing splitters/wings in 09.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3899744)   #346
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Except for 2 teams
Quote:
And around 50% of the series' fanbase.

This thread's unfortunately be derailed; but would genuinely like to hear from Nissan fans from the Group A days, on their thoughts on how the R32 Nissan GTR was nobbled by CAMS, to try and make the Group A Commodores appear more competitive at the time.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3899764)   #347
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Except GMS admitted to manipulating the test equipment to make their cars appear legal.

I also recall a time when Ford supplied it's preferred teams with light weight bodyshells.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3899779)   #348
Forda
Veteran

Yes Bob, just like you are now - bought and sold.
I miss the old, independent Umai....
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3899781)   #349
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I also recall a time when Holden supplied it's preferred teams with light weight A9X bodyshells.
Then threatened to pull out of Group C when caught by Cams.

and the stories and legends from every manufacturer go on and on.....

Old 26 Apr 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3899786)   #350
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:

You make me laugh.