Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3862227)   #51
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Vettel drove directly at the guy moving the cone out of the way which he petulantly moved with his car....doesn’t matter if he was beckoned in, if there’s a guy stood directly in front of you, you don’t drive at him.
I agree with that, that's why I said the directions from the guy in the white shirt were a bit stupid.
He was standing at the end of the weigh bridge, so he too could see the man standing between himself and the car.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3862228)   #52
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I agree with that, that's why I said the directions from the guy in the white shirt were a bit stupid.
He was standing at the end to he weigh bridge, so he too could see the man standing between himself and the car.
Completely agree
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3862229)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to this article, FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer said Vettel "refused to turn off the engine" and the car was pushed onto the scales but he left the engine running, which Bauer said "makes it difficult to get a stable result".

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/139961
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3862230)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
OK, I understand why they do it, but I guess there can be a better solution than "randomly" picking a guy at a "random" moment ? I a dry-wet session this could massively disadvantage the chosen driver.
I agree with that. Whilst it's accepted that it's random, it isn't a particularly fair way of doing it. I'm not sure there's a solution as every series does it the same way.

This way made worse in this very specific case where you have a driver trying to get another qualifying lap in during a time limited session, and a man standing with a traffic cone who then walks towards the car rather than jumps out of the way to save time. There was no sense of urgency, in a situation that should be completed as quick as possible.

But it wouldn't be F1 without a ridiculous situation.

The "refused to turn off his engine" comment is interesting. He brings him forward and tells him to stop. There's a massive difference between not turning off your engine and refusing to turn off your engine. Someone is getting a little over dramatic there.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3862231)   #55
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I agree with that. Whilst it's accepted that it's random, it isn't a particularly fair way of doing it. I'm not sure there's a solution as every series does it the same way.

This way made worse in this very specific case where you have a driver trying to get another qualifying lap in during a time limited session, and a man standing with a traffic cone who then walks towards the car rather than jumps out of the way to save time. There was no sense of urgency, in a situation that should be completed as quick as possible.

But it wouldn't be F1 without a ridiculous situation.
To be fair to the guy, Vettel drives into the cone on purpose, id be a stubborn git moving it out of the way too.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3862233)   #56
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYi5qIj2VCg

The Lewis incident, as uploaded by a user called Vettel, which is hilarious.

That is absolutely 100% impeding another car. He changed direction into another car, causing him to take to the grass. He compromised the cars line into and therefore out of the final corner, which will affect lap time. And you could make an argument about dirty tyres if you wanted to as well.

To add to this, he was actually told before hand that the Williams was behind him. So there's not much excuse there. He then uses the Williams for added toe down the straight. That's pretty unacceptable.

For the Kimi one, he appears to be dottling around in the middle of the track. "I didn't know which way Kimi was going" - that's because you forced him to choose when you should've been off the racing line. It's no where near as bad as the previous incident, but that for sure was a stupid situation that shouldn't have happened.

Weird, because Lewis hasn't made those sort of strange errors in about 7 or 8 years. He used to do silly things, but generally he's been flawless at Mercedes. This was like the old McLaren based Lewis came out for a day.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3862234)   #57
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
To be fair to the guy, Vettel drives into the cone on purpose, id be a stubborn git moving it out of the way too.
You're right so I understand why it happened, but if you're going to stand in front of a moving race car because you're stubborn then you have no place at a race track. Stubbornness does not win over stupidity.

"I'm going to stand in the way of the car that wants to occupy the space I'm in", said no smart person ever.

Understand why it happened. Still absolutely stupid from literally every person (including Vettel) involved in it.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3862235)   #58
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Re Hamilton’s driving, Clumsy to say the least....ahhh sod it, give both Hamilton and Vettel a 10 place grid penalty and watch the fireworks
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3862236)   #59
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
You're right so I understand why it happened, but if you're going to stand in front of a moving race car because you're stubborn then you have no place at a race track. Stubbornness does not win over stupidity.

"I'm going to stand in the way of the car that wants to occupy the space I'm in", said no smart person ever.

Understand why it happened. Still absolutely stupid from literally every person (including Vettel) involved in it.
Well he had to stand infront of the car to retrieve the cone that Vettel put there....

I agree, stupidity from all sides
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3862237)   #60
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Well he had to stand infront of the car to retrieve the cone that Vettel put there....

I agree, stupidity from all sides
Would've had to move the cone whether Vettel hit it or not, as it's original position was in front of the car too So that situation was always going to happen, just if the cone was upright.

Kinda remarkable actually. Is this the sense of urgency the weighbridge staff normally have? Looks like they're very complacent in the pit lane tbh. If that was the attitude to dangerous equipment in an offshore environment, you'd very quickly find yourself "not required back". When you look at what's actually happening it's kinda worrying.

F1 is weird, lol.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3862238)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Re Hamilton’s driving, Clumsy to say the least....ahhh sod it, give both Hamilton and Vettel a 10 place grid penalty and watch the fireworks
Back of the grid! Both together. Line them up side by side, not one in front of the other
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3862240)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Back of the grid! Both together. Line them up side by side, not one in front of the other
That, I would like to see.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3862241)   #63
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Would've had to move the cone whether Vettel hit it or not, as it's original position was in front of the car too So that situation was always going to happen, just if the cone was upright.

Kinda remarkable actually. Is this the sense of urgency the weighbridge staff normally have? Looks like they're very complacent in the pit lane tbh. If that was the attitude to dangerous equipment in an offshore environment, you'd very quickly find yourself "not required back". When you look at what's actually happening it's kinda worrying.

F1 is weird, lol.
I think they’re normally more urgent, from what I’ve seen anyway, but when a driver is petulant and ****es you off, I’m not suprised they take their time.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3862242)   #64
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Were you guys on the jury at the Salem Witch trials?.....
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3862243)   #65
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think they’re normally more urgent, from what I’ve seen anyway, but when a driver is petulant and ****es you off, I’m not suprised they take their time.
Sounds professional
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3862244)   #66
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Were you guys on the jury at the Salem Witch trials?.....
I just assume guilt every time. Quicker that way.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3862247)   #67
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Sounds professional
About as professional as the driver then. He is a 4 time champ after all..you’d expect him to be able to miss a cone
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3862250)   #68
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Results are in, 25000 Euro fine and a slap on the wrist
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3862252)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Which sounds about right, because the only bit he violated was the engine off part - he didn't miss the scales, which is where the big penalty comes in.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...il-gp/3211647/

Lewis is acting a bit weird. He says it's Sirotkins fault and he didn't know someone was behind him. We heard it on the radio though. He seems to think Sirotkin should learn from it. Meanwhile, Kimi points out it's hard to predict cars sitting in the middle of the road.

Vettel is a muppet. Lewis left his head at home today.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3862255)   #70
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Which sounds about right, because the only bit he violated was the engine off part - he didn't miss the scales, which is where the big penalty comes in.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...il-gp/3211647/

Lewis is acting a bit weird. He says it's Sirotkins fault and he didn't know someone was behind him. We heard it on the radio though. He seems to think Sirotkin should learn from it. Meanwhile, Kimi points out it's hard to predict cars sitting in the middle of the road.

Vettel is a muppet. Lewis left his head at home today.
Yup. Interesting reading. Goes back to what I said a few pages ago...Re should have been pushed off the scales....

https://thumbsnap.com/sgTnPnnl

Either way, seems like a fair result. Although I’d still have liked the pair of them start mid pack!
Old 10 Nov 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3862256)   #71
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Yup. Interesting reading. Goes back to what I said a few pages ago...Re should have been pushed off the scales....

https://thumbsnap.com/sgTnPnnl

Either way, seems like a fair result. Although I’d still have liked the pair of them start mid pack!
Interesting to read that, because the way it's worded, they wanted to get him for more but couldn't. The only thing he technically did not obey was the brakes on sign. The "which is not the procedure" line is amusing, because we've all read the rules and it doesn't say that at all. After that, he didn't break the rules what-so-ever.

For a sport that defines the maximum height of the trophy, to not define how a car is handled in an active pit lane is pretty stupid. I suspect those rules might get written properly now, because you can drive a bus through the problems in them.

Unless it's one of those rules, like track limits, that changes every week, is never written down, and we don't get to see.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3862262)   #72
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting to read that, because the way it's worded, they wanted to get him for more but couldn't. The only thing he technically did not obey was the brakes on sign. The "which is not the procedure" line is amusing, because we've all read the rules and it doesn't say that at all. After that, he didn't break the rules what-so-ever.

For a sport that defines the maximum height of the trophy, to not define how a car is handled in an active pit lane is pretty stupid. I suspect those rules might get written properly now, because you can drive a bus through the problems in them.

Unless it's one of those rules, like track limits, that changes every week, is never written down, and we don't get to see.
It’s interesting because technically he obeyed the engine off rule, but not in spirit, because he didn’t turn it off when asked to initially. Ahhhhh the grey areas of the rules.

Either way we have 2 top drivers lining up next to each other tomorrow, with nothing to lose which can only be a good thing
Old 10 Nov 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3862264)   #73
ascarracinguk
Veteran

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139966/sirotkin-hamilton-did-nothing-wrong
Old 10 Nov 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3862272)   #74
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Once again Hamilton gets away with whatever. I don't even have the energy to be annoyed about it anymore.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3862274)   #75
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Once again Hamilton gets away with whatever. I don't even have the energy to be annoyed about it anymore.
What did he get away with? He broke no rule. Do you not think the stewards have a far better idea of what’s going on than yourself? Your saltyness amuses me

I’d like your opinion on the Vettel incident. Since it was ‘nothing’ as you said a few pages back, why did he end up with a fine? Do you think it’s a fair punishment for his error?