Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Nov 2004, 06:23 (Ref:1147179)   #1
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whincup signed by Tasman Motorsport

From www.tasmanmotorsport.com

WHINCUP SIGNED BY TASMAN MOTORSPORT

Young gun Jamie Whincup has been signed to drive a second Tasman Inner Circle Rum Motorsport car for the 2005 season, it was announced today.

The 21-year-old will line up alongside Jason Richards in an identical VY Holden Commodore, currently being assembled, to form the team’s first two-car assault.

Whincup, the 2002 Australian Formula Ford Champion, made his V8 Supercar debut with Garry Rogers Motorsport in 2002 in the Queensland 500 and finished a creditable 20th, before landing a coveted full-time drive for GRM in 2003.

Selected to drive in the enduro races this year by Perkins Motorsport, Whincup and fellow young gun Alex Davison finished an outstanding 9th in the Bathurst 1000 – Whincup’s first Top 10 result in V8 Supercars.

Whincup trialled with Tasman Motorsport prior to the 2004 enduro races, demonstrating outstanding speed and maturity in a test day at Sydney’s Oran Park.

Tasman Motorsport principal Kevin Murphy said the move to a two-car operation and the team’s impending move to Melbourne made Whincup the ideal choice.

“Jamie’s a Melbourne lad whom we’ve been aware of for some time because we think he has great potential,” Murphy said.

“You don’t win the Australian Formula Ford title without a fair bit of natural talent, and he’s obviously learned a lot about the business in a difficult season with GRM.”

Whincup said he was delighted to return to V8 Supercar racing with Tasman Motorsport. “The V8s really are the premier racing category in Australia, and I firmly believe Tasman Motorsport has a great future that I want to be part of,” he said.

“It’s a perfect fit for me – the team is going to be based in Melbourne about 15 minutes from where I live.

“I think Jason and I can work really well together in identical cars and I’ll be looking to deliver good, consistent results straight off the bat.”

Murphy said Tasman Motorsport had faced a clear choice in recruiting a second driver to run alongside Richards.

“We could have brought in a veteran who would deliver immediate results but might not stay over the longer term, or we could pick up a youngster with plenty of potential and take an active part in his development,” he said.

“We’re highly impressed with Jamie and think we’ll be seeing a return on our investment sooner rather than later.”
Old 8 Nov 2004, 07:00 (Ref:1147185)   #2
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Whincup signed by Tasman Motorsport

Quote:
Originally posted by Vee8
From www.tasmanmotorsport.com

WHINCUP SIGNED BY TASMAN MOTORSPORT

Selected to drive in the enduro races this year by Perkins Motorsport, Whincup and fellow young gun Alex Davison finished an outstanding 9th in the Bathurst 1000 –

Good one!!
Who was quicker at Bathurst - Whincup or Davo ?

I've been a bit of a Whincup fan since he pushed Pretty out of the seat with Garth Tander Bathurst 2003.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1147206)   #3
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
should have been fabian.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN FABIAN!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1147225)   #4
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabian wants to Win the GT3 Cup and after his performances this year on many tracks he hasnt seen until arriving, he must have a good shot!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1147295)   #5
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by resisturban
should have been fabian.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN FABIAN!
Correct it should, he was faster than Whincup and Davison at Bathurst in all sessions. What are Tasman on!!!!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1147297)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing against Whincup, good on him for getting the drive.

But how does a driver who sits on the sidelines bar the enduro's, plus a relatively unimpressive 2003, get picked for a seat above other drivers who are active n other forms of competition and drivers who performed more impressively in the enduro's?
Old 8 Nov 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1147312)   #7
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he is not asking for a really big pay packet...........
one hellava life
Old 8 Nov 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1147325)   #8
105octane
Veteran

or maybe he is bringing money to the team.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1147583)   #9
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OR maybe he has a better attitude than some.

Don't bag the guy yet, just wait and see

I'm sure TMS know what they are doing.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1147830)   #10
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 105octane
Correct it should, he was faster than Whincup and Davison at Bathurst in all sessions. What are Tasman on!!!!
Bummer aye 105octane
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1147842)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Nothing against Whincup, good on him for getting the drive.

But how does a driver who sits on the sidelines bar the enduro's, plus a relatively unimpressive 2003, get picked for a seat above other drivers who are active n other forms of competition and drivers who performed more impressively in the enduro's?
I still think the term "coveted seat at GRM" was a urine take - or maybe the fact that they use the same PR company perhaps?
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1147848)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
Bummer aye 105octane
My thoughts entirely. Spraying won't help much either sadly. It speaks a lot about attitude.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1147850)   #13
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the consistancy of whincup with having a year under his belt helped sway the discission. I also here that Fabian has picked up the davidson ride in the porsches which should set him up for the future.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1147872)   #14
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at what happened with Brede at TD.

I would have thought that teams would be looking for someone with skill more than someone with money!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1147879)   #15
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible decision and I think that the likes of Brede, Tratt etc will be fearful that they will be joined by a **** driver.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1147920)   #16
105octane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
My thoughts entirely. Spraying won't help much either sadly. It speaks a lot about attitude.
It really doesnt matter much to me about Whincup getting the Tasman seat at all because the kid has talent, anyone who wins the Australian Formula Ford championship is worthy of a drive in V8'S.
But being one of Fabians supporters i do feel it is a bit of a bummer (as Evo comments and JDI supports) that he didnt get the gig, as i think after the very short time he has had in the V8's he has shown he has what it takes. 28th and 19th at Oran Park first time out in the old VX. 9th at Sandown and a possible top 7 finish at Bathurst until a rock through the radiator put them down to 20th doesnt seem to bad to me.
It would of been great to see another Kiwi doing it for little old NZ in V8 Supercars again.
But no you always seem to get the good old kiwi tall poppy syndrome going eh guys.
Didnt know about Fabians Porsche deal for next year in the ex Davison car,that to me will be as good as the V8 gig and should stand him in an even better position for the future. Hope this is fact and not just another rumour.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1147940)   #17
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by 105octane
It really doesnt matter much to me about Whincup getting the Tasman seat at all because the kid has talent, anyone who wins the Australian Formula Ford championship is worthy of a drive in V8'S.
But being one of Fabians supporters i do feel it is a bit of a bummer (as Evo comments and JDI supports) that he didnt get the gig, as i think after the very short time he has had in the V8's he has shown he has what it takes. 28th and 19th at Oran Park first time out in the old VX. 9th at Sandown and a possible top 7 finish at Bathurst until a rock through the radiator put them down to 20th doesnt seem to bad to me.
It would of been great to see another Kiwi doing it for little old NZ in V8 Supercars again.
But no you always seem to get the good old kiwi tall poppy syndrome going eh guys.
Didnt know about Fabians Porsche deal for next year in the ex Davison car,that to me will be as good as the V8 gig and should stand him in an even better position for the future. Hope this is fact and not just another rumour.
I think you have taken my comment the wrong way, I am agreeing that I felt Fabian should get the drive, in fact I even suggested him for the TKR seat on this very forum as well. I had a late night phone call last night from someone heavily involved in V8 Supercars to tell me of the decision made by Tasman, their comment and mine was "What are they thinking? I would have gone with Coulthard"
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1147949)   #18
105octane
Veteran

Sorry Evo, i took your comments the wrong way im with you on this one, but dont get me wrong Whincup is a very good steerer and he is worthy of a drive with some team or another, i am just a bit shocked on Tasmans decision after what Fabian has done for them this year without having a years experience.I hope my apology is accepted.Have TKR approached FC?
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1147970)   #19
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Apology accepted.

Fabian was spoken to by Mr John two years ago when FC was unsure if his backing for his overseas drive was continuing. Mr John offerd the opportunity for FC to discuss a Konica V8 Supercar drive if his overseas drive came to an end but i do not think FC ever got back to Mr John.

And how do i know this!

I was standing right next to Mr John and Mr Coulthard Senior and Junior at the V8 Supercar meeting at Pukekohe Park Raceway when the said discussion took place.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1147989)   #20
105octane
Veteran

But has DJ approached him about this latest gig up for grabs or has the decision been made?

Lets hope they get another Kiwi in the car Evo.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1147994)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There you have it!

Good luck ya'll, but it seems a bit of an odd choice. Why did Jamie and GRM part company after one season?
Old 8 Nov 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1148038)   #22
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I am not sure 105octane if Mr Coulthard and Mr John have spoken over the last two years and or recently but if Fabian has not made his intentions know to Mr John i do not think Mr John will have been chasing Fabian.

I do not know if a decision has been made about a driver for TKR next year but the rumors are that it is Radisich.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 02:49 (Ref:1148164)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just have to love all this talking in the third person stuff.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 03:08 (Ref:1148170)   #24
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by sizzle
Just have to love all this talking in the third person stuff.
In the Third person? I am me, not him, whilst I admit I have some of the same physical attributes as Mr John, I am much younger than him and a number of people on here know that I am not him.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1148171)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
In the Third person? I am me, not him, whilst I admit I have some of the same physical attributes as Mr John, I am much younger than him and a number of people on here know that I am not him.
I wasn't referring to you Evo