Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1776227)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Zanardi fancies a shot at racing at Monza...

Quote:
Alex Zanardi has said he wants more experience of single-seaters following his BMW Formula One test at the weekend - and has even suggested he would not mind taking part in a race.

"Now I would like to try out a single-seater where I can feel comfortable; maybe (Robert) Kubica's, whose build is closer to mine. Then I'm not saying this will happen, but if there was the chance one day to take part in a real race, maybe at Monza, I think that with a bit of testing and a properly-done preparation it could be done."

However, BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen said: "I don't think we'll do this a second time."
Full article here.

Well, what can you say about Alex that hasn't already been said? If he were to take part in a F1 race it would probably be the greatest thing in the history of all mankind, but I doubt the FIA would let a disabled driver take part in a race.

We can dream, can't we?

FWIW, I would almost certianly buy a ticket for Monza if this were to happen.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1776306)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
God bless Alex he is just the best...
Old 28 Nov 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1776444)   #3
Taz Q2
Racer

Australia
Bathurst & Emerald
Taz Q2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Here mate, that man is an inspiration to every living human on the face of this earth.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1776446)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies, the correct URL is here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/55790
Old 28 Nov 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1776541)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce

We can dream, can't we?

FWIW, I would almost certianly buy a ticket for Monza if this were to happen.
Would be great to see, but unfortunately, he wouldn't meet the safety requirements of extracting himself from the car quickly enough for it ever to happen.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1776553)   #6
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before you kill me this is'nt a joke.

But didn't the FIA look at some sort of ejector seat a few years back. Surely the technology would be there by now to allow for something of that nature to allow him to race. I know you have to consider if the car was upside down, driver entrapment, neck injuries etc etc but in theroy it could be done im sure.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1777048)   #7
Taz Q2
Racer

Australia
Bathurst & Emerald
Taz Q2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Doc thats just the start i needed today i was in fits of laughter for ten mins mate, & not in a disrespectfull way either bloke.

Probably has been contemplated but i just cant see how you would get it to activate in the right scenario IE: cars laying on its side with the driver pointed straight at the wall & still sliding as a result of an accident & it decides to go off, it would not be a pretty sight.

Or are you suggesting it has just enough oomph to pop the driver out of the car.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1777165)   #8
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I say, its not my idea. But I'm nearly sure the FIA looked at it at one stage. How far that investigation went is another thing entirley. Most likley it was thrown out very early simply because of concerns such as your ours!

To be honest I don't personally see the major issue with him not being able to get out as quickly as the other drivers. The on-board fire suppression systems in modern Formula 1 would be the best in the world along with having plenty of fire marshals etc. Realistically fire is the only reason a driver needs to get out of a car quickly.

In theory Alex could have an emergency breathing apparatus on his helmet to avoid breathing in super heated gasses (this system already exists) which would give him longer again. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do. If a driver is unconcious you have no choice but to rely on the onboard systems and the marshals on circuit anyway. If the car isn't on fire then he's usually safer in the car than out!
Old 29 Nov 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1777203)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Well I'm sure the "ejector seat" wouldn't send him 20 feet into the air with the force of a cannon, just enough to gently get him out of the car and the marshals can do the rest.

Speaking of marshals, would need extra traning and would probably need to have things at every post for him - crutches etc. He has his own pair in his BMW but obviously there is no space him them in an F1 car.

It would be quite a challenge and lots of preperation from all parties would be needed - but this is F1, preperation is the name of the game. It could happen if all involved were willing to work a little harder for it.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1777231)   #10
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
At Formula One events it is very uncommon not to have Paramedics, doctors and trained rescue crews at all corners all trained in patient handeling. Im not saying Alex would be a patient, but the fact is he would have trained people on hand to help get him behind barriers and even sit him down until his crutches etc can be sent from the Pits via the motorbike outriders dotted around the circuit.

I've marshalled F1 and I know the level of preparation that goes into these things. IMO It's definitley possible from a back-up point of view. I think if he is capable of driving the car for 70 laps at a competitive pace then let him at it! If nothing else it would be an inspiration to watch and would definitley appeal on an emotional level to Formula One's larger fan base.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 02:47 (Ref:1778238)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who says he is going to fall off anyway??
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:09 (Ref:1778267)   #12
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CCWS should hold a race at Monza and if that happens, then I'm sure there would be a car available for Alex.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1778467)   #13
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rules for single seater racing say a driver must be able to get out of the car within 5 seconds (it is longer for touring & sportscars)
Old 30 Nov 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1778639)   #14
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
rules for single seater racing say a driver must be able to get out of the car within 5 seconds (it is longer for touring & sportscars)
Where did you read that? Im fully able bodied and I can't get out of my single seater in 5 seconds! I'd be very suprised if its less than 10 seconds. But I stand to be corrected!