Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Feb 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4035387)   #176
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone denied Walkenhorst is going to enter DTM?
Well, they've just confirmed their entry with M6 GT3. As far as I understand it, it's just one car, not two, which is a bit of shame though but it's at least one more car!
Old 16 Feb 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4035389)   #177
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Has anyone denied Walkenhorst is going to enter DTM?
Well, they've just confirmed their entry with M6 GT3. As far as I understand it, it's just one car, not two, which is a bit of shame though but it's at least one more car!

Good news. I don’t think anyone denied Walkenhorst they seemed the likely bet, was just whether they’d wait for the new BMW GT3 or get started with the M6 in the meantime.

I think it makes a lot of sense to get involved now even if it’s just to play with the competition and help BMW learn for their new M4 GT3
Old 16 Feb 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4035391)   #178
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Rowe will follow suit with two BMWs and who knows, maybe later in the year RMG will field M4 GT3 with the likes of Wittmann and Sheldon van der Linde?
Old 16 Feb 2021, 11:13 (Ref:4035399)   #179
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope Rowe will follow suit with two BMWs and who knows, maybe later in the year RMG will field M4 GT3 with the likes of Wittmann and Sheldon van der Linde?
Arent RMG focusing on the development of the new M4 GT3? Followed by the development of a replacement GT4? I might be wrong I do mix up some of those ex DTM BMW teams!

ROWE would be nice, there was a piece on S365 yesterday about them evaluating the DTM, hard to tell if that would be with BMW or Porsche though, as they seem pretty well balanced between the two still.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4035400)   #180
Matt K
Veteran

Yes, I think you're right with the RMG. Somehow I expect them to be 'the most factory' BMW team in the DTM, if not late in 2021, then in 2022.

Yes, Rowe has been vocal about their interest in the DTM and I've also heard they're evaluating BMW or Porsche. However, BMW is more likely to offer some support for DTM if not now then in 2022. Porsche doesn't seem interested in DTM at all.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4035436)   #181
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I think you're right with the RMG. Somehow I expect them to be 'the most factory' BMW team in the DTM, if not late in 2021, then in 2022.

Yes, Rowe has been vocal about their interest in the DTM and I've also heard they're evaluating BMW or Porsche. However, BMW is more likely to offer some support for DTM if not now then in 2022. Porsche doesn't seem interested in DTM at all.
Think you're right on RMG being BMW with a different entrant name.. Hopefully, some runs with the new M4 in late 21, before a full 22 run.

For ROWE I think Porsche has said they won't be providing any backing for the DTM?
Old 16 Feb 2021, 19:11 (Ref:4035491)   #182
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Think you're right on RMG being BMW with a different entrant name.. Hopefully, some runs with the new M4 in late 21, before a full 22 run.

For ROWE I think Porsche has said they won't be providing any backing for the DTM?
I think we can expect some runs of M4 later in the season, as far as I remember there was some talk of it.

With Porsche that's true unfortunately, I'd really hoped to see the likes of KUS Bernhard with Porsche factory drivers in the DTM.
Old 18 Feb 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4035785)   #183
Matt K
Veteran

Rene Rast leaves DTM. That's a huge shame but given the fact Audi withdraws from FE I hope to see him back in DTM in 2022. If I were to gamble, I'd say Nico Muller will be the only DTM 2020 driver who'll stay for the 2021 season. Maybe Wittmann and S. van der Linde later on with RMG.

RacingOne is still working on their DTM project, they can enter either as a Ferrari or an Aston Martin team. The decision should be taken until the end of February, the biggest question is of course money. Would be really nice to see Astons back in the DTM especially as RacingOne hinted that they could offer some support and factory drivers.
Old 19 Feb 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4035873)   #184
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Rene Rast leaves DTM. That's a huge shame but given the fact Audi withdraws from FE I hope to see him back in DTM in 2022. If I were to gamble, I'd say Nico Muller will be the only DTM 2020 driver who'll stay for the 2021 season. Maybe Wittmann and S. van der Linde later on with RMG.
I assume this season Rast will focus on FE and maybe some GT3 enduro races, in 2022 GT's combined with testing of the the LMDh car. In 2023 race the LMDh car.
Old 21 Feb 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4036198)   #185
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can bet Juncandella is part of their DTM plans even though he was never quite a big thing in DTM.
Juncadella will race for AKKA in GT World Europe endurance.
Old 21 Feb 2021, 19:08 (Ref:4036221)   #186
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Juncadella will race for AKKA in GT World Europe endurance.
So good that I haven't made a bet!
It seems he won't be in DTM then. However, as far as I can see there's just one clash of dates so theoretically he could miss one round in either of the championships... not that I find it very likely especially as there are other factory Mercedes drivers who could be willing to race in DTM.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4036447)   #187
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So good that I haven't made a bet!
It seems he won't be in DTM then. However, as far as I can see there's just one clash of dates so theoretically he could miss one round in either of the championships... not that I find it very likely especially as there are other factory Mercedes drivers who could be willing to race in DTM.
Maxi Gotz or Maxi Buhk would be my guesses for Gruppe M as they both have relationships with the team in the past. Maro Engel and Luca Stolz are likely to continue with HRT in GTWC Europe and also with an ADAC GT Masters program as well. I could be wrong but Engel was testing with HRT at Barcelona recently and I don't see AMG breaking up that team which is very successful in GTWC.

I would probably guess Maxi Gotz as he is fast, has a relationship with Gruppe M and also has experience racing in DTM in the past. Buhk will probably take his place in ADAC GT Masters and also in GTWC Endurance cup racing.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4036480)   #188
Matt K
Veteran

If Engel, Buhk, Stolz are not part of DTM then who can be? I still hope to see at least Engel or Buhk as they're one of the top Mercedes GT drivers and that's what would make DTM very attractive.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4036484)   #189
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can’t think of many others who could apart from those three. Maybe we are in for a surprise, but I expect at least two of these three to be with Merc. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:57 (Ref:4036490)   #190
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
With the move to GT3 the pool of potentional drivers is much larger.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4036491)   #191
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
With the move to GT3 the pool of potentional drivers is much larger.

For sure, the real challenge for factory driver pools this year is balancing efforts in DTM, GTWC, ADAC GT, British GT, NLS etc

It’s a real balancing act given DTM and GTWC Europe clash for example so factory drivers usually covering two main series are going to have more difficulty doing so potentially this year
Old 23 Feb 2021, 22:10 (Ref:4036506)   #192
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can’t think of many others who could apart from those three. Maybe we are in for a surprise, but I expect at least two of these three to be with Merc. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be
I really would be surprised if Engel ends up in DTM. It's not impossible but I would find it hard to believe that Merc would pull the rug out from under HRT who are one of their top customer teams. Since Gounon, Marciello and Juncadella are with Akka ASP in GTWC that leaves just Buhk, Gotz, Engel and Stolz to allocate to any additional programs. HRT has already said they are running a full season pro entry in sprint and endurance. I don't think there is any reason to believe that won't be Engel and Stolz as it has been for the past 4 years. Buhk and Gotz could very well both end up in DTM but I would consider Engel to be unlikely (also he did test with HRT in Barcelona recently).
Old 23 Feb 2021, 23:51 (Ref:4036523)   #193
Matt K
Veteran

The thing is, Haupt will very likely be one of the AMG's teams in DTM. If Engel is so closely associated with them then I think it's absolutely possible for him to end up in DTM. At the end of the day Haupt will need strong drivers who will be able to get some good results for their own names and Engel seems a perfect candidate for that.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4036751)   #194
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
The thing is, Haupt will very likely be one of the AMG's teams in DTM. If Engel is so closely associated with them then I think it's absolutely possible for him to end up in DTM. At the end of the day Haupt will need strong drivers who will be able to get some good results for their own names and Engel seems a perfect candidate for that.
It's possible that occurs however I don't believe HRT has announced anything. They have already confirmed a Pro lineup for GTWC Europe Sprint and Endurance (along with I believe a Silver car as well). If not Engel and Stolz I'm not sure who they would have to drive that pro car as many of the drop in AMG drivers are also busy with other series on GTWC race dates as well.

Either way I'm sure we will find out shortly.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 09:13 (Ref:4036893)   #195
Matt K
Veteran

Haupt hasn't confirmed anything but if I'm not wrong Autosport even reported that they and HTP are going to race in the DTM. Usually they're right
Bit as you say, we should find it out shortly.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4036977)   #196
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think there's a high chance of that happening. There is usually substance to these reports as you say. I think HTP and Haupt are going to be part of an already great lineup
Old 26 Feb 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4037039)   #197
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Double

Last edited by W2Motorsport; 26 Feb 2021 at 01:34.
Old 26 Feb 2021, 01:34 (Ref:4037040)   #198
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Haupt hasn't confirmed anything but if I'm not wrong Autosport even reported that they and HTP are going to race in the DTM. Usually they're right
Bit as you say, we should find it out shortly.
I hope you are right. DTM has great coverage so I'd be thrilled if they run 5+ AMGs all with factory drivers. I just don't see how they have the drivers to cover all of the commitments that are already announced. Unless they are going to start making the FE drivers compete in GT races I could see them running out of drivers multiple times during the season if they are staffing 5 cars in DTM.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4037554)   #199
Bcarr6
Veteran

ROWE Racing to DTM with BMW, TBC on number of cars and drivers
Old 1 Mar 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4037559)   #200
Bcarr6
Veteran

Grid is really starting to flesh out now.

You have to say, regardless of whether people agree with the move to GT3 regs, Berger must be feeling pretty vindicated right now. Not only has he maintained BMW and Audi entries on the grid, hes got Mercedes back, and Mclaren & Ferrari too, and im sure we will end up seeing a Lamborghini or two.

Its going to give some speculation to the strength of at least GTWC Sprint this year, especially given ROWE picked DTM over GTWC

DTM 2021 - 10-18 cars

Abt Sportline - Audi R8 LMS GT3 - TBC
Abt Sportline - Audi R8 LMS GT3 - TBC
GruppeM Racing - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBC
Jenson Team Rocket RJN - Mclaren 720s GT3
Red Bull AF Corse - Ferrari 488 GT3 - Alex Albon (Partial Season) / Nick Cassidy (Partial Season)
Red Bull AF Corse - Ferrari 488 GT3 - Liam Lawson
ROWE Racing - BMW M6 GT3 - TBC
ROWE Racing - BMW M6 GT3 - TBC (potential)
Team Rosberg - TBC Audi R8 LMS GT3 - TBC
Team Rosberg - TBC Audi R8 LMS GT3 - TBC
Walkenhorst Motorsport - BMW M6 GT3 - TBC
Walkenhorst Motorsport - BMW M6 GT3 - TBC (potential)

TBC’s

2 Seas Motorsport - Mclaren 720s GT3 - TBC (potentially in doubt)
2 Seas Motorsport - Mclaren 720s GT3 - TBC (potentially in doubt)
HTP Windward Motorsport - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBC (not yet confirmed)
HTP Windward Motorsport - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBC (not yet confirmed)
Haupt Racing - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBC (not yet confirmed)
Haupt Racing - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBC (not yet confirmed)