Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:46 (Ref:937097)   #1
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cycling to brands from a train station

I'm planning a trip to Brands, but I just have the small problem of getting from Swanley station to the circuit.

Does anyone know if its feasible to cycle there? I'm reasonable fit, but has anyone cycled there? and where do you leave your bike??
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:17 (Ref:937131)   #2
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chain it to the debris fence,you be careful cycleing to races could catch on!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:07 (Ref:937161)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scroll down to the bottom of this page, although I'm not sure how up-to-date the information is.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:21 (Ref:937163)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You may as well cycle all the way from home as get off at Swanley. The biggest problem you will have is getting back again as there is a very steep hill at Farningham on the way back. Get off at Eynsford instead, it's the next station and as near to Brands as you will get.
What day you going?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:55 (Ref:938262)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Not planning to go until August. I see what you mean about cycling all the way, but i don't want to be too knackered! Eynsford seems to be closest, but i'm not too sure of the way.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:02 (Ref:938269)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Also... Would they be okay in letting me bring my bike in with me? I could'nt leave it outside.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:938303)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Plenty of people cycle inside the circuit.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:50 (Ref:938316)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's easy, come out of the station and go down to the main road and turn right. Follow this road for about 2 miles until you come to a T junction at the A20. You want to turn right there and Brands is about 1 mile up the road on the left. Phone the circuit regarding taking your bike in.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 17:51 (Ref:938571)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
It's easy, come out of the station and go down to the main road and turn right. Follow this road for about 2 miles until you come to a T junction at the A20. You want to turn right there and Brands is about 1 mile up the road on the left. Phone the circuit regarding taking your bike in.
Very steep hill up from Eynsford to A20.Might be worth concidering going via Swanley and returning via Eynsford.Also you need to check wether any trains still stop at Eynsford on Sundays.I have WALKED from Brands to Eynsford,but that was some years ago! Think I read somewhere that the Sunday service on that line had been withdrawn.

Last edited by Rob29; 13 Apr 2004 at 17:54.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 19:24 (Ref:938679)   #10
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
I think your right Rob, I've checked out the trains and there doesn't seem to be a sunday train before 10am... so it seems that it'll have to be Swanley.

I'll consider cycling all the way from home, but its a long way!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 20:22 (Ref:938729)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Of course you could see if anyone from your way could give you a lift? Where are you coming from TCN?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 20:35 (Ref:938751)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Half a mile from me
Old 13 Apr 2004, 22:25 (Ref:938867)   #13
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No! Go to Farningham instead!! It on a main line and is served by a more frequent train. Come out of the station and turn right which is a main road. You then come to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill (WJ.Kings the Vauxhall dealer)and turn right up the hill to Brands what could be easier? When I started in 74' I used to cycle to Brands every meeting from Romford which was about a 60 mile round trip...mind you I was younger and slighty more stupid then! (yes Stephen, just slighty more stupid!)
Old 13 Apr 2004, 22:26 (Ref:938868)   #14
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooops-I meant turn left up the hill...perhaps I am more stupid now!!!!
Old 14 Apr 2004, 07:57 (Ref:939118)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that makes more sense.BTW its Farningham Road station,some way from Farningham village.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 08:27 (Ref:939139)   #16
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
the easiest way?

To avoid the long hill up the A20 (in either direction) from any of the previously mentioned stations - I'd recommend going from Victoria to Longfield (the next stop after Farningham Road).
Departs 0841 from Victoria and arrives Longfield 0923 on a Sunday (according to thetrainline.com). Leisurely cycle along Valley road from Longfield to the paddock entrance - 4 miles.
see here for map

BTW Baz - you cycled how much???
Old 14 Apr 2004, 08:33 (Ref:939145)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Very steep hill up from Eynsford to A20. Think I read somewhere that the Sunday service on that line had been withdrawn.
Surely the steep hill is from the Farningham road roundabout all the way up to the Thistle Hotel at the main gates. See my previous post for the lazy cyclist's way.

and, nope Sunday service to Eynsford still runs (or runs again) - arrives in Eynsford 0844 and 0941 from Victoria via Denmark Hill, Catford and other picturesque S.London stations
Old 14 Apr 2004, 10:45 (Ref:939249)   #18
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Its best for me to come from Bromley south, I don't want to go into and out of central london as time ticks away. I'd like to get there reasonably early, which the sunday trains don't seem to offer at all unfortunetly.

Thanks for the map Bodysnatcher. I'm thinking of setting off nice and early and cycling all the way there. Just don't want a puncture....
Old 14 Apr 2004, 10:47 (Ref:939251)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Have you thought about starting a new thread asking if there is anyone from Bromley who could give you a lift there and back? There must be plenty of people who drive your way to get to Brands?
Old 14 Apr 2004, 10:51 (Ref:939256)   #20
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
its only 13.2 miles from my house...

Just better avoid the bypass and motorways!
Old 14 Apr 2004, 11:03 (Ref:939274)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
If I am around that weekend I could be persauded with a packet of fig rolls or bar of chocolate to take you and your bike part way there dependent on how bad the traffic gets near the circuit.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 11:09 (Ref:939282)   #22
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Have you thought about starting a new thread asking if there is anyone from Bromley who could give you a lift there and back? There must be plenty of people who drive your way to get to Brands?
I don't really know anyone that well, my folks have offered to drive me some of the way, but i'm thinking that i'd be best to just cycle.

i've figured out a simple route from farningham station, and i can get there for about 8:15am, so it shouldn't take too long to get to brands if its only 2 miles from that station.

Getting to bromley's the hardest part, its 5 miles away, but the nearest station that goes direct. Its complicated, but if i was to go from my local station, i'd have to change twice!

Thanks for your help guys! and if you see a red faced, sweaty knackered guy ith a bike, you will know that its me!
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:24 (Ref:939377)   #23
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
Ii've figured out a simple route from farningham station, and i can get there for about 8:15am, so it shouldn't take too long to get to brands if its only 2 miles from that station.
No,no,no Farningham road to Brands is not 2 miles, at 3.9 miles (see map again for Farningham road to Brands)its marginally longer than my previous recommendation - but hey, you might be the sort that enjoys cycling up hills, me, I go for the flat run every time.
Ok, I've taken the main roads and gone for the paddock entrance, so you might shave a tenth or 2 off by taking the back lanes or going to the front gate, but did I mention you'd be cycling uphill.
yep, think i did
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:47 (Ref:939401)   #24
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I'd opt for Longfield main line station, it's virtually on the tracks doorstep and it's only got a low gradiant on approach to the track, (although it does get pretty steep for 150 yrds or so just before gate)

Steve McQueen
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:58 (Ref:939412)   #25
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Sundays -
Bromley South 0801/0903
Longfield 0821/0923