Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Oct 2016, 04:56 (Ref:3679911)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber Retires Oct 2016

So long Mark...good effort!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...436495181d1122
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:21 (Ref:3679949)   #2
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes well done Mr Webber on a wonderful career!, hope he appears at least once at Bathurst in the near future.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3679993)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I was a bit surprised - seem to recall Kristensen and McNish going well into their forties and being competitive. But he's earned retirement. Shame he hasn't won the big one, but then he's never been in love with Le Mans (and who can blame him?).
Old 14 Oct 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3680000)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I was a bit surprised - seem to recall Kristensen and McNish going well into their forties and being competitive. But he's earned retirement. Shame he hasn't won the big one, but then he's never been in love with Le Mans (and who can blame him?).
You mention Kristensen and McNish - Webber's retirement announcement seems to me to be in the exact same manner as those two. Guys that are well respected inside their own teams deciding to quit on their own terms and staying with the manufacturer even after motorsport retirement.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3680011)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But a few years earlier than both of them.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3680023)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This caught me by surprise too, he seemed to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and team effort of WEC and looked like he was gonna carry on for a while. At least he's going out on a high and with a world title to his name
Old 14 Oct 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3680039)   #7
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
With the influx of young single-seater drivers making the switch to sportscars, the bar may have been raised just enough to make it difficult for older drivers to be assured of a factory LMP1 seat into their forties.

Thanks for the drives Mark. His stint in Bahrain with the ailing #17 last year was almost a microcosm of his racing career - but thankfully, it had a happy ending. Hopefully there's at least one more victory left in his time at Porsche.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3680146)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 40-year-old Webber will become a Porsche 'special representative' at global events and work as a consultant on motor sport programs...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-1...rement/7931990
Old 16 Oct 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3680347)   #9
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
The 40-year-old Webber will become a Porsche 'special representative' at global events and work as a consultant on motor sport programs...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-1...rement/7931990
a.k.a Porsche want to make sure Webber and his image can't work for anyone else
Old 16 Oct 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3680638)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Perhaps the best 'Potsie' moment EVER!!

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3680769)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Perhaps the best 'Potsie' moment EVER!!

You can never find a "LIKE" button when you need one!
Old 19 Oct 2016, 02:05 (Ref:3681255)   #12
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Jenson Button replace him at Porsche?
Old 19 Oct 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3681290)   #13
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Will Jenson Button replace him at Porsche?
No. Button is under contract to McLaren and Honda next year (despite the retirement/sabbatical announcement), if he's racing something next year it'll be GT500 in Japan more likely. 99% likely it'll be either Nick Tandy or Earl Bamber in that seat tbh.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3681380)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Porsche have more or less said it will be Tandy or Bamber.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 15:16 (Ref:3681397)   #15
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Nowhere have I seen a statement by Mark that this is permanent.

How many have "retired" to....ta-daaa...make a re-appearance. I won't even start to list them.

jimclark
Old 19 Oct 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3681458)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Yes well done Mr Webber on a wonderful career!, hope he appears at least once at Bathurst in the near future.
Nope, highly unlikely.
In his retirement announcement (full text not the headlines) he said he has no interest in racing anything in lower formulae or levels. By the sound of it not even a 'Goodwood' type.
Disappointing, he came across as a career driver not a racer. It also sounded like he's lost his bottle now he's married, family etc.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3681575)   #17
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...e-fia-wec.html

The DSC interview is great, but Marks answers were very..depressing, tbh. Highly dismissive of the prospect of entering the Bathurst 1000, saying the cars would be a disappointment. The only thing he was positive over was single seaters and that he has no real interest beyond those. The fact he isn't even bothered that he never won Le Mans says a lot. No desire to run Bathurst, and questioning why he'd want to do Pikes Peak? I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to run these events - they are such massive parts of motorsport that I think we'd all love a chance to have a go.

Seems like his heart was always in F1, and nothing else. He didn't stick about in F1 because he recognised that his career path was going to end up being the Coulthard route of a slow move downwards, so he went elsewhere and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it.

To be brutally honest, if he's not really THAT into it, then I'm glad he's decided to call it quits, rather than continue on to collect cash. That way someone who really does want to win Le Mans can get the seat.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 21:52 (Ref:3681663)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

The DSC interview is great, but Marks answers were very..depressing, tbh. Highly dismissive of the prospect of entering the Bathurst 1000, saying the cars would be a disappointment.
Mark even since his FFord and FHolden days was always quite honest and straight forward in saying he had zero interest in touring cars - especially the current formula in Australia.

He enjoyed racing cutting edge technology and performance cars - respect to him.

The thing I didn't fully appreciate until reading the article is how much the Brazil crash did and still does rattle him
Old 21 Oct 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3681722)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, the Brazil crash involved a lapped car, and he was rather dismissive of Am drivers too. Seemed to be a hint that he blames Brendons Silverstone incident on the Am car, which I don't agree with.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3681815)   #20
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, the Brazil crash involved a lapped car, and he was rather dismissive of Am drivers too. Seemed to be a hint that he blames Brendons Silverstone incident on the Am car, which I don't agree with.
For the Brazil crash, I never saw a video of the crash itself, only the aftermath, so that makes it difficult to judge.

As for the Silverstone incident, that's how I read it too: blame the Am. I don't agree either, that was Brendon's misjudgement. Nothing more, nothing less.
IIRC, the Am driver was punished, though.

Quote:
To be brutally honest, if he's not really THAT into it, then I'm glad he's decided to call it quits, rather than continue on to collect cash. That way someone who really does want to win Le Mans can get the seat.
To be fair, I don't think he ever was doing WEC for the money.
I think he genuinely wanted to drive a Porsche LMP1 car, but Le Mans was just one of the races for him.

Last edited by gert; 21 Oct 2016 at 21:11.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3681863)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Next years regulations dont seem to excite Webber to much at all. Almost seems like the same reason he got out of Formula 1
Old 23 Oct 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3682022)   #22
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems like his heart was always in F1, and nothing else. He didn't stick about in F1 because he recognised that his career path was going to end up being the Coulthard route of a slow move downwards, so he went elsewhere and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it.

Webber since the beginning of his career was very open that F1 was all that interested him, and has always stated since he left for Europe he had no interest in racing "taxi's" (his words a few times) at Bathurst

He was also pretty open that he went to WEC to wind down his career, rather than stopping cold turkey after 2013 in F1

Webber probably see's Le Mans as something that he would have liked to have won for Porsche, but he's had five (four i guess) cracks at it in top machinery and it hasn't worked out, abit like F1 he probably doesn't want to hang around just to say you've won it.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 03:00 (Ref:3962938)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Mark drove the first lap of the upgraded track named in his honour...

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...akes-his-name/