Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2001, 01:05 (Ref:97076)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Will slick tyres ever be re-introduced

Of all the changes that have been made to Formula one cars over the years, my least favourite is the use of grooved tyres. Traction control would be a close second on my list..What are your thoughts?
Old 27 May 2001, 01:52 (Ref:97090)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Aparently the grooved tyres are costly to manufacture, and the introduction of grooved tyres resulted in Goodyear pulling out of F1. Now Goodyear is interested in coming back, for what ever reason is not clear yet, except that their quick decision to pull out was made in haste and could be spitting the dummy. Having said that, I don't think that grooves will be dumped before Max is dumped, because Professor Max is not going to admit he was wrong, EVER. For me, watching the races on TV makes very little difference whether the tyres are grooved or not - I hardly even notice them anymore.
Old 27 May 2001, 02:05 (Ref:97093)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good evening my friend!

my thought was that if slicks were re-introduced then would that not make up for what would be lost if they gave traction control the elbow?? I hope that makes sense! Bring back slick's loose launch and traction control. Educate me here please..
Old 28 May 2001, 17:12 (Ref:97897)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slicks will return when Bernie dies and Max is fired.
Old 28 May 2001, 17:15 (Ref:97899)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Okay...Thank you..We will have to arrange a funeral then...LOL
Old 28 May 2001, 21:44 (Ref:98045)   #6
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We came close to slicks at Monaco. On TV they showed us some tires that had most of the grooves worn away. So we had halve slicks.
Micheline said they would protest if anybody was allowed to run on the tires with the grooves worn off. I did not hear if they did protest.
The quickest way to wear out the grooves is to start on used tires. Ferrarie did use used tires on the front at least for the start of the race.
Old 29 May 2001, 01:39 (Ref:98130)   #7
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Rumor has it that Max was overheard muttering something about knobbies next year!
Old 29 May 2001, 03:08 (Ref:98142)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or square wheels.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:57 (Ref:98269)   #9
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max and Bernie aren't tired with playing grooved tyres. Maybe they will return slicks, but only when everybody will get accustomed to grooves.