Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Aug 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3997564)   #226
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't able to watch during the day, but caught up on the coverage in the evenings. Good to see all the classes getting such comprehensive coverage.

Shame that they couldn't get a couple more electric cars for the inaugural round, as I think a full grid would have made it more watchable. The cars look a real handful in the wet, but the times appeared to come down on Sunday and the drivers looked like they were wrestling with the cars less. Going to be interesting to see how the Projekt E cars develop over the season (and how quickly they can close the gap to the traditional Supercars).

I was gutted for Bryntesson yesterday as I think he is real a title contender this year. That was a new engine for this year as well, isn't it? Agree that the level at the top of the Euros is very high. I wonder if Eriksson will be back for another round (or two)?

Absolutely astonishing drive from Johan. I'd like to think his performance this weekend might silence those who still claim his success in '17/'18 was largely thanks to the car. I hope Ekstrom manages to rearrange his plans (and find the budget!) for a full season campaign, as it would be superb to see those two fight it out this year. Glad to see Bakkerud find more speed yesterday, but what a miserable weekend for Liam. Just a brief flash of pace then the car shat itself. Disappointing weekend for Gronholm, I really hoped to see him and Johan fighting up front, but Niclas seemed to spend most of yesterday looking at the back of a Seat.

NB: Anyone watch the "Aftertrack" thing last night? Great idea, but horrible execution. I'd really enjoy a post-race debrief show with a bit of technical insight: that wasn't it!
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3997582)   #227
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the double post, but I have just seen EKS confirm that Ekstrom will be at Kouvola this weekend.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3997584)   #228
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s good, Ekstrom was really on fire and really took the fight to the returning Kristofferson, this is hopefully gonna be a great title fight between those two.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3997615)   #229
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seemed like a 2 horse race all weekend, I was surprised thay Gronholm and the Hansens weren't more competitive. Nice to see Scheider being able to mix it and Marklund seemed more on the pace so think we should have a reasonable season.

I like the additional racing at the weekend but does seem like a way to lose entries as people suffer problems. I wonder if Liam would've had more success in a traditional style weekend as would have allowed his team more time to sort problems. GCK guys must've been very busy.

Oh and I clicked through the Afterhsock thing and managed about a total of 30 seconds, WTF is that?!! Dunno who thought it was a good idea but they should be fired.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Aug 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3997637)   #230
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was OK, merely that, on a proper track at least.

Biggest issue is the endless Hansen stuff, his driving in the semi was worthy of a stock car driver, man needs to get out of his bubble and learn to man up a bit.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 04:42 (Ref:3997982)   #231
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Hansen get penalized for that ramming attack on Bakkerud in the semi?

Really fortunate that Bakkerud already knows how to do the Baxtehaude three wheel tango.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 06:54 (Ref:3997992)   #232
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post

Really fortunate that Bakkerud already knows how to do the Baxtehaude three wheel tango.
Timmy Hansen's race didn't get off to a great start thanks to lap one contact. A big four-way battle for P3 didn't quite go his way in the end, finishing fifth.
Team Hansen on Facebook.

Good day yesterday and I’m happy with my performance yesterday.👍Looked good for a top spot but got taken out in the semi in a very dirty way.🙃
Kevin Hansen on Facebook.

He did not get penalised and judging from these quotes I feel there's a chance the Hansen's won't be anymore loved this year compared to last.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 07:26 (Ref:3997994)   #233
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
DSQ from the semi
Old 26 Aug 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3997997)   #234
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Damn, he was. Literally nothing about it on their Facebook pages.
Old 26 Aug 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3997998)   #235
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There was quite a bit of push and shoving in the semi
Old 26 Aug 2020, 11:16 (Ref:3998046)   #236
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Damn, he was. Literally nothing about it on their Facebook pages.
I try to be objective about the drivers, but I struggle to see any redeeming characteristics in the Hansen brothers at the moment.

They are the first to whine about any sort of contact on circuit, yet nothing is said about an incident (race or otherwise) like that in the Semi-Final.

Marklund proved that speed and consistency are possible with the Megane. I wonder if GCK/GFORS are running that car as well, or is that in the hands of Marklund Motorsport?
Old 26 Aug 2020, 18:09 (Ref:3998143)   #237
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is, which of the many contacts did he get punished for?!
Old 26 Aug 2020, 18:45 (Ref:3998152)   #238
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
The question is, which of the many contacts did he get punished for?!
Probably all of them. That was definitely the worst I've ever seen him drive and one of the worst from anyone. Annoyingly I can't find the stewards decisions on the WRX or FIA website
Old 26 Aug 2020, 20:56 (Ref:3998169)   #239
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Annoyingly I can't find the stewards decisions on the WRX or FIA website
Ah, glad it isn't just me: I was sure they used to appear on the results page and couldn't find them anywhere on the site!
Old 27 Aug 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3998236)   #240
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Marklund proved that speed and consistency are possible with the Megane. I wonder if GCK/GFORS are running that car as well, or is that in the hands of Marklund Motorsport?
The car is ran by GCK/FORS.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3998256)   #241
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
The car is ran by GCK/FORS.
Cheers for the confirmation. Hopefully they can get all three Meganes running well this weekend.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 11:30 (Ref:3998273)   #242
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Cheers for the confirmation. Hopefully they can get all three Meganes running well this weekend.
I don't get how they do it, literally 5 cars to run. GCK alone has kinda kept WRX alive running all these cars, hence filling the grid.

Abbring was announced to take Baciuskas' place today this weekend "After playing a key role in the development of the car in pre-season testing". As much as I like Abbring, this is a bad move in my opinion towards Baciuskas. I feel like it's putting the blame on him for having the Clios way out of pace.

Ironically, this happened last year as well with the Fabia. By the way, Ernestas Staponkus went to jail for some financial stuff.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3998294)   #243
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I don't get how they do it, literally 5 cars to run. GCK alone has kinda kept WRX alive running all these cars, hence filling the grid.
If you tally up all the pre-season press releases that could have been as many as seven cars, as Kevin Abbring and Philippe Maloigne were originally announced to contest the European Championship in Clios, with that plan subsequently revised to a Euro campaign for Maloigne and select World appearances for Abbring.

Philippe wasn't at Holjes though, so I wonder if those plans were announced before discussions with RX Cartel?

Quote:
Abbring was announced to take Baciuskas' place today this weekend "After playing a key role in the development of the car in pre-season testing". As much as I like Abbring, this is a bad move in my opinion towards Baciuskas. I feel like it's putting the blame on him for having the Clios way out of pace.
Real shame for Baciuskas. He was very impressive in the Megane last year and I have horrible feeling that, like Raymond and De Ridder, his progress this year is going to be hampered by a poor car.

Quote:
Ironically, this happened last year as well with the Fabia. By the way, Ernestas Staponkus went to jail for some financial stuff.
Oh wow, I hadn't seen that! Hence why the second car and full World RX plans for ES Motorsport haven't happened this year?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3998310)   #244
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Oh wow, I hadn't seen that! Hence why the second car and full World RX plans for ES Motorsport haven't happened this year?
I assume so. It was a bit odd that they were constantly testing, having drivers like Nasser Al-Atthyia, Abbring and Östberg, having lots of personnel and offering 50,000 Euros for their driver if he managed top 3 in the championship.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3998713)   #245
hoffman66
Racer

Titellvoer already

Just like the yeasr before

Perhaps the most dominant car and driver in rallycross history i think

Damn shame, tons of potential in this sport but as with so many others domination makes it boring to watch coem the crunch.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 04:52 (Ref:3998810)   #246
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong

Last edited by mivec; 30 Aug 2020 at 04:54. Reason: Sorry, wrong answer :-)
Old 30 Aug 2020, 11:16 (Ref:3998855)   #247
hoffman66
Racer

Not wrong, he rarely gets beaten at the start, dominated in a 2 year old car, hardly a spectacle now is it!! What have the others been doing!!

Do you think in any other alleged top level motorsport you could turn up in a 2 year old car and basically make everyone look silly still?
Old 30 Aug 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3999043)   #248
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Not wrong, he rarely gets beaten at the start, dominated in a 2 year old car, hardly a spectacle now is it!! What have the others been doing!!

Do you think in any other alleged top level motorsport you could turn up in a 2 year old car and basically make everyone look silly still?
I think that Mivec said you were wrong on the basis of him coming 4th today.

I also think it's pretty foolish to suggest that car has been sat gathering dust for 2 years with zero refreshing.

As an aside, I've never been bothered by who wins in rallycross. The beauty of 50 plus races over a weekend means that it doesn't really matter of a handful are walkovers. Watching Kristofferson win the final doesn't make the semi final or heats he wasn't in any less of a spectacle does it? The thrill is in seeing if others on other heats and different track conditions can beat him. Whether or not they do, to me, is immaterial. Different strokes n all that.
Old 30 Aug 2020, 22:48 (Ref:3999131)   #249
hoffman66
Racer

I think the sad part is that the race today was rather ruined by the weather, JK would have won by miles were it not for that.

That car is perhaps the most dominant package yet seen in rallycross perhaps only beaten by Alamaki's 205.

He drives it well but it's all about the start, they are doing something in that car and clearly have been for years that no-one else can match. He is still basically a factory VW driver so I can imagine it has been worked on a lot yes despite being an old car.

I just like variety. and for a few years now we have not had that other than perhaps last year.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3999159)   #250
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not watched RX for a bit of time! I have to say the returning of Kristofferson and Ekstrom really has raised the bar...just WOW

Also the car fielded are really good! Hope the see a bright future for WRX