Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3385093)   #351
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see a white Toyota and I want it painted red,
No white anymore I want the TS040 painted red,
I see all of the P1 cars dressed in their new white clothes,
I have to turn my head until my disappointment goes

Audi changed their mind about the R18 that debuted in black,
With flowers and my love, Toyota please bring red back,
Close your eyes and quickly look away,
It seems like a white P1 debuts everyday

I wanna see it painted red, painted red
Red as TS020, red as the Ferraris
I wanna see it in anything else but white
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted red
Yeah
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3385095)   #352
alless
Rookie

alless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post

Yeah

True on that, they should run in red. Any other race car from them atleast has some red coloring with white and black.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3385100)   #353
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yeah
Amazing cover !
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3385101)   #354
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yeah
Nice change in the lyrics
Very good song!
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3385107)   #355
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:

Yeah
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3385108)   #356
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
1000 hp. OK, this is an impressive big round number for the media. But what torque and for how many seconds ?
If they use the maximum power (480 hp = 354 kW), the hybrid power will be available for 6 MJ/354 kW = 17 seconds per lap. The other 190 seconds they are only have the 520 hp of the combustion engine.

Of course this is the absolute minimum time. They can always release it more slowly.

Last edited by gwyllion; 27 Mar 2014 at 13:07.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3385109)   #357
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If they use the maximum power (480 hp = 354 kW), the hybrid power will be available for 6 MJ/354 kW = 17 seconds per lap. This is the absolute minimum time. They can always release it more slowly.
So, for instance at Le Mans, if they use the electric motors for 10 seconds at each acceleration, i.e around 60 seconds, that will give 135 hp, which is more realistic IMHO.
Your thoughts ?

Last edited by PascaLM; 27 Mar 2014 at 13:13.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3385122)   #358
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Correct. It aids in braking so they will be phenomanal on that front. Last year the rear brakes never glew red because of them harvesting energy.
Just hoping for Toyota that they do not get into issues with their ERS-K like at Spa last year, because the conventional brakes will not be in a position to handle the additional energy normally recovered by the ERS-K. The ERS-K technology should however be reasonably reliable now.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the Audi, Toyota and Porsche compare on track with so different philosophies being adopted by the manufacturers.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3385125)   #359
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So, for instance at Le Mans, if they use the electric motors for 10 seconds at each acceleration, i.e around 60 seconds, that will give 135 hp, which is more realistic IMHO.
Your thoughts ?
Maximum output will cause a lot of wheelspin. Better to opt for lower but longer output in my opinion.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3385129)   #360
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Indeed. As explained by Wurz, the management of the hybrid system is very complicated.
Quote:
It is phenomenal, extremely powerful. Four-wheel drive allows us to accelerate better; it feels like a rocket ship! But an important reason to go to four-wheel drive was to recover more energy under braking and that works extremely well. Developing a four-wheel drive hybrid car is complex, not only because you have to recover energy front and rear but you also need to control the energy release depending on the speed, the corner and the state of the car. Every detail is important and I enjoy working like this.
source: http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/to...rward-to-2014/

For instance, on worn tyres the release rate is probably very different than in qualifying mode.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3385134)   #361
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Your thoughts ?
Toyota could possibly opt to release energy exclusively at the front rather than via both axles, front and rear. Something like 130 kW (approx. 180 HP) at the front and 225 kW (approx. 300 HP) at the back. Would allow them to release the 6 MJ hybrid boost for more than 45 seconds via the front exclusively. Just speculating.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3385138)   #362
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/toyota-ts040/ contains some more technical information.
Quote:
Furthermore, a high-power MGU can recover energy more efficiently, as a race car produces massive energy instantly under hard braking. Considering these factors, MGUs at front and rear have to be high powered and a high-performance super capacitor is suitable to store the large amount of energy produced within a second.

When releasing the energy, it is most effective to add the MGU power boost while the car is running below average speed, particularly at the exit of corners, because it maximizes the acceleration power and therefore effectively improves lap time. Also, in this case, energy release at four wheels, rather than two wheels, is much more effective. Another benefit of the four-wheel system is that it improves the turning performance on not only wet tracks but also on dry tracks exiting low traction corners.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3385142)   #363
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by @RacecarEd
Toyota drivers say that traffic will play a big part in the races - lose corner speed and fuel consumption to get up to speed increases
source: https://twitter.com/RacecarEd/status/449168924396257280

Toyota might have an edge in traffic with their huge hybrid power.

Perhaps we will see a repeat of 2012, where the R18 ultra was as fast as R18 e-tron quattro on a clear track but could not match it in traffic.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3385144)   #364
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Maximum output will cause a lot of wheelspin. Better to opt for lower but longer output in my opinion.
Wheelspin will not really be a problem with the four wheel drive system and consequent high traction. In the dry that is. In wet circumstances, it's probably a whole differnt matter.
But as Wurz points out, the cars computing capabillity to dial in just enough power to each axle in each situation will most likely mean we'l hardly see any wheelspin with this car.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3385145)   #365
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Pictures from the launch: http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=25896

I am really wondering which front aero configuration will be used: the open nose with the ugly edged head lights (pictures released by Toyota), or the closed nose with the bulby head lights (car at Paul Ricard launch).

The aero of the TS040 looks very refined:
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3385152)   #366
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Pictures from the launch: http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=25896

I am really wondering which front aero configuration will be used: the open nose with the ugly edged head lights (pictures released by Toyota), or the closed nose with the bulby head lights (car at Paul Ricard launch).
too bad they cant use them both anymore.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3385161)   #367
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No adjustable front wing?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3385164)   #368
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
This perhaps is not the final front end. Let's wait for few days. But if they have made really good aero work in the front and can get more DF than they need, the adjust ability is not that important.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3385167)   #369
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
The adjustable front wing is a way to decrease the effort needed to get the required front downforce at various tracks. But if you're Toyota and have easy access to world-leading aero facilities, you may not want to waste that advantage and "compromise" on a front wing that won't give the absolute maximum.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3385170)   #370
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
too bad they cant use them both anymore.
LMP1 cars can use multiple aero packages.

Apparently the aero package is not final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @specutainment
@Mark_Whitelegge According to the team the aero is 'still evolving' and of course as it's a P1 you can have many iterations of body kit
source: https://twitter.com/specutainment/st...87491321769984
Old 27 Mar 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3385175)   #371
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
According to http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/pro...eves-du-jeudi/ Toyota will test both aero configurations.

The version presented in the Paul Ricard pitlane is the low drag version for Le Mans.

The #7 car will run the high downforce version, as preparation for Silverstone.

Toyota is much better prepared this year: two cars for testing and two aero packages from the start of the season!
Old 27 Mar 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3385180)   #372
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Indeed. As explained by Wurz, the management of the hybrid system is very complicated.
source: http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/to...rward-to-2014/

For instance, on worn tyres the release rate is probably very different than in qualifying mode.
Are we going to see going to see Group C-style mad qualifying runs do we think? Send the TS040 on the softest Michelins, turn up the hybrid power and simply flaw it, and surely we're going to see faster times than in 2013, and much faster times than in the race itself?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3385194)   #373
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Original nose appears to be back on for the group shot

https://twitter.com/Toyota_Hybrid/st...072193/photo/1
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3385202)   #374
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I actually prefer the look of the "sprint" nose. Maybe it's the headlight shape.

I often tire of the snobbish "look how much better sportscar racing is than F1" sentiments which come from some of us, but this season I'm finding it really hard to not be one of those people. Three completely different cars - in terms of appearance and technology - with all those professional drivers there on merit and nothing else, it's really hard not to act a little smug about the direction the WEC has taken in comparison with F1.

And the strange part of it is the philosophy behind both rule sets is exactly the same. One series seems to have angered its fans, while the other has got its fans beside themselves with excitement.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3385209)   #375
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I think I actually prefer the look of the "sprint" nose. Maybe it's the headlight shape.

I often tire of the snobbish "look how much better sportscar racing is than F1" sentiments which come from some of us, but this season I'm finding it really hard to not be one of those people. Three completely different cars - in terms of appearance and technology - with all those professional drivers there on merit and nothing else, it's really hard not to act a little smug about the direction the WEC has taken in comparison with F1.

And the strange part of it is the philosophy behind both rule sets is exactly the same. One series seems to have angered its fans, while the other has got its fans beside themselves with excitement.
I tend to think of it as "Quality vs. Quantity".
Sportscar fans has always been few but massively enthusiastic, where as F1 fans are often many, but only with attention for F1 when race day arrives.
Not to start a F1 vs. LMP discussion, but I actually find the new F1 drivetrain (not the noses) fascinating, and a good direction for the future of F1.