Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Dec 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3946133)   #126
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
odd video, Ken Milne not mentioned and talk of the village of tertre rouge never heard of a village of tertre rouge before.
Old 11 Dec 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3946203)   #127
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I've seen the movie three times now (It's the only movie I've ever seen in theaters three times) and it's still excellent. I've been telling everyone I know to see it.

Historical inaccuracies aside (There's only a couple that really bug me, TBH), they just made a really, really good film. In an age of stale superhero films and preachy political lambasting, truly good films are all too rare. The fact that it's a racing movie, about Le Mans, is just the icing on the cake.

I have to admit, I actually enjoy the Road Atlanta cameos. It's kinda fun to recognize the place from my trip to PLM in 2013.
I've seen it once, thought it was really good and I plan to go back to check it out again - I'd tweaked my back and wasn't comfortable so without that distraction, reckon it'll be even better 2nd time round. Agree with you that it's a really good movie & the fact that it's about racing (& racing people) is icing on the cake.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3946280)   #128
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"The 1966 Le Mans documentary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rrVOVuwPV0
Old 12 Dec 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3946284)   #129
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadnt realised that Ken Mills was involved in the development of the Sunbeam Tiger until googling something completely different yesterday.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3946285)   #130
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He didn't, but Ken Miles did.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3946289)   #131
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He didn't, but Ken Miles did.
Arhh, yes, thanks for correction. Tired mind this morning!
Old 12 Dec 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3946292)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 12 Dec 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3946298)   #133
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mills, Milne, Miles..... whatever.... Just call him Ken!

Bit OT but there’s a good summary in this link of Shelby and Ken’s involvement in the Sunbeam Tiger development....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...sunbeam-tigers
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3946461)   #134
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Reviewed in Autosport this week is a Netflix documentary, ‘Shelby American’, which sounds worth a watch if you have Netflix..... Covers the early years from chicken farmer to Le Mans winner and beyond.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81218074
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3946467)   #135
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I have Netflix!
Old 13 Dec 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3946483)   #136
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I have Netflix!
Jammy wotsit......
Old 13 Dec 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3946484)   #137
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched Shelby American with my lad a week or so ago. Very enjoyable indeed. I'm also lucky enough to have Netflix. I've had it for free with BT for years......
Old 13 Dec 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3946504)   #138
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I watched Shelby American with my lad a week or so ago. Very enjoyable indeed. I'm also lucky enough to have Netflix. I've had it for free with BT for years......
OK I’ve joined for a month. Will be useful over Xmas anyway!

No free trial any more.....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3946511)   #139
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
odd video, Ken Milne not mentioned and talk of the village of tertre rouge never heard of a village of tertre rouge before.
Looks like an odd video as Tertre Rouge bit looks like Indianapolis. Had a look re village bit (hope you don't mind) and Le Tertre Rouge pops up as district of Le Mans on google maps (on high ground just north of dual carriageway and roundabout by Ave George Durand).

Tertre Rouge was marked on 1921 French grand prix circuit map (first in current location?) and pathe video shows Pontileue hairpin as almost out in the country and a photo of that hairpin describes it as virtually in Le Mans town and most photos show cars in country gravel tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtdORKmSPOI

Is 2021 being celebrated (probably not by Ford ) or waiting til 2023?
Old 13 Dec 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3946518)   #140
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back in 2013, James and I set out to visit the Pontlieu hairpin. It was wet and unpleasant and we found it quite tricky to find, then just after we'd pretty much given up, we stumbled upon it!

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk/gallery/2013p/13page4.htm
Old 14 Dec 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3946686)   #141
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good write up. Agree it's tricky to find with all the road closures and one way streets at race weeks.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3946845)   #142
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must avoid any talk or write ups, and even sometimes trailers, to keep my opinions of films not ruined (yeah, I'm a weirdo), so I've just read through this thread now and it seems there's a consensus!

Anyhow! Took my boy and saw it this past Thursday and I really enjoyed it, as did my 14 year old son, who's not much of a racing fan. The film was great! I won't repeat too much the consensus the hollywooded up scenes, but even still, the racing scenes were pretty good. The story is an epic one. Good ingredients for film.

Outside of the Road Atlanta, I was pretty sure I was able to pick out the Hutchinson Island Circuit, home of the very first US Grand Prize Race in Savannah, And I believe Roebling Road was also used as well, but I'd have to go back to look again.

There's varying and differing information out there about filming locations in my home state, but very cool for me to have been to just about every filming location, probably also including some random road outside of Statesboro, GA, where I went to university, we y'all say
Old 16 Jan 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3951928)   #143
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
For those of you that enjoyed the film or indeed those that did not, i found a documentary called Shelby American, on net flix, free to watch and rather good.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3951946)   #144
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I watched that a couple of weeks ago Simon - very good. Don't forget the Ford/Ferrari War - which is also on Netflix. Also free.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3951952)   #145
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to see the film a few weeks ago and thought it very good. I had forgotten the input by Ken Miles in to the project.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3951971)   #146
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Pretty crucial by all accounts - not just the film....
Old 16 Jan 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3951980)   #147
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, I watched that a couple of weeks ago Simon - very good. Don't forget the Ford/Ferrari War - which is also on Netflix. Also free.
Ok so just watched the ford/ferrari war one and to be honest both seemed to have the same footage and interviews but both worth watching.
Old 16 Jan 2020, 21:57 (Ref:3951997)   #148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, lots of crossover there (unsurprisingly) but both a good watch.
Old 17 Jan 2020, 05:59 (Ref:3952041)   #149
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I bought a month’s subscription to watch the Shelby docu! OK, I watched a few films as well.....

I was puzzled how they had input from some who are no longer with us, and the above answers that question.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3956294)   #150
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
motorsport have this take on the film/actual event, well worth a look

https://motorsport.tv/24-hours-of-le...s=fordvferrari