Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Jun 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2481123)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Manor in F1

As an F1 fan, I'm interesting to hear the F3/national racing angle on Manor entering F1 in 2010. I know quite a bit about the team (past roster including Hynes, Pizzonia, Raikkonen, Hamilton etc) but not a great deal. So what are your thoughts on that?

Also, interested to hear John Booth talking about Roberto Merhi as a potential driver in the future. I don't know a lot about him - how good is he?

And of course Litespeed and Epsilon Euskadi didn't make it, amongst others, whilst Campos did
Old 12 Jun 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2481195)   #2
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Also, interested to hear John Booth talking about Roberto Merhi as a potential driver in the future. I don't know a lot about him - how good is he?
Seen him race a few times and I would say he could be special.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2481307)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He did well in Formula Renault Eurocup & the West Euro Champs in 2008 & is going along nicely in Euro F3 this year...
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2481438)   #4
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto is Mercedes driver, so I don't know how Manor would take him into F1. Also he was with Epsilon last season in FRenault
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2487405)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I was a little surprised by the announcement but then this is and always has been a very well run, highly professional operation.

I think there was some kind of organised split in the management of the them team a few years ago with Booth taking more of a a chairman type role and Tony, the ace engineer taking over the running of the either the ESF3 team, or at least in Britain is that right?

The mention of Merhi and the Mercedes connections is interesting because my initial thoughts were that as Hamilton had driven for Booth for a number of years in the past with latterly with Mercedes engines IIRC, whether Mercedes were looking at an alternative set up to McLaren for Lewis, but then we have Brawn of course! Plus it was then announced that the Manor would be powered by Cosworth.

Manor is the latest in a long line of highly succesful British operations from the single seater ladder to finally take the big plunge and go F1. In the past we had EJR; Onyx; Middlebridge off the top of my head (plus many more that tried to but didn't make it) who have had good reputations below F1 but not all translated into F1 success. Mostly this was down to money issues rather than any lack of engineering or management ability I've always felt.

If John Booth/Tony et al can get a half decent chassis built by Wirth and sign at least one good driver, I think they have the chance to be midfield runners right from the go. If they can stick at it for a few years, who knows what they can achieve.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2487736)   #6
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are giving out entries for your new franchise would you not give them to people you know? Now who was Nick Wirths partner in the early days of Simetek?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2489333)   #7
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I was a little surprised by the announcement but then this is and always has been a very well run, highly professional operation.

I think there was some kind of organised split in the management of the them team a few years ago with Booth taking more of a a chairman type role and Tony, the ace engineer taking over the running of the either the ESF3 team, or at least in Britain is that right?

The mention of Merhi and the Mercedes connections is interesting because my initial thoughts were that as Hamilton had driven for Booth for a number of years in the past with latterly with Mercedes engines IIRC, whether Mercedes were looking at an alternative set up to McLaren for Lewis, but then we have Brawn of course! Plus it was then announced that the Manor would be powered by Cosworth.

Manor is the latest in a long line of highly succesful British operations from the single seater ladder to finally take the big plunge and go F1. In the past we had EJR; Onyx; Middlebridge off the top of my head (plus many more that tried to but didn't make it) who have had good reputations below F1 but not all translated into F1 success. Mostly this was down to money issues rather than any lack of engineering or management ability I've always felt.

If John Booth/Tony et al can get a half decent chassis built by Wirth and sign at least one good driver, I think they have the chance to be midfield runners right from the go. If they can stick at it for a few years, who knows what they can achieve.

I don't think that is anything like correct. Booth and Tony Shaw split up. Tony went off with the FR part to form Manor Competition. John remains to run the F3 bit. I stand to be corrected.

In all honesty F1 is light years away for them. They'd better hope it's dumbed down an awful lot or they will not look too good. IMO.

BTW, the only guy at Wirth with F1 aero experience, I am told by a reliable source, is a fairly junior RBR guy. The car will be designed fully using CFD, no tunnel work at all. Good luck but it's going to be tough...................
Old 24 Jun 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2490029)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST View Post
I don't think that is anything like correct. Booth and Tony Shaw split up. Tony went off with the FR part to form Manor Competition. John remains to run the F3 bit. I stand to be corrected.

In all honesty F1 is light years away for them. They'd better hope it's dumbed down an awful lot or they will not look too good. IMO.

BTW, the only guy at Wirth with F1 aero experience, I am told by a reliable source, is a fairly junior RBR guy. The car will be designed fully using CFD, no tunnel work at all. Good luck but it's going to be tough...................
Well there was a split or a change in management, that much we know!!

I tend to agree that it will be tough, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as daunting under 'early 1990's budgets.'
Old 25 Jun 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2490751)   #9
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They've got Virgin as their backer, probably also will change name to Virginish one. App it's milions of pounds worth deal.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2491184)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
They've got Virgin as their backer, probably also will change name to Virginish one. App it's milions of pounds worth deal.
But something is telling me that the any deal is on the basis of the whole shebang being much cheaper next year, which (the £40mill cap) as it stands this week, won't be the case after all?
Old 29 Jun 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2492980)   #11
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Sounds like Manor may have second thoughts. Oh dear. Prodrive anyone
Old 29 Jun 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2493215)   #12
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bottom line is that John Booth is a very sensible and intelligent team principle, and will not go into anything without being confident that he has all the resorces to do the job properly. Manor will enter F1 only if all the sums add up. If they do I'm sure they will do a great job, as they always do.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2493334)   #13
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.f1news.ru/memuar/50883.shtml
I dont know what is original from this article, but its look like manor going to sign Paul di Resta.
John Booth:"I rate Paul very high, and dont understand why he still isnt in formula1. For sure we gonna give him opportunity"
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2493341)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few weeks ago Autosport mentioned that John Booth was interested in looking at Paul di Resta, but I don't believe they've firmed up anything.