Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Aug 2001, 16:09 (Ref:134907)   #1
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gauge Watching

We've got a lot to do as we drive along the highways and byways... but how often do we look at our instruments?

I subscribe to a forum dedicated to Peugeots and there has been heated debate about whether or not these cars should have a fixed fan to blow air through the radiator, rather than relying on a clutch operated by a sensor that causes the fan to come on at a preset temperature.

Anyway, it has been asserted several times that women never watch the gauges, so if your car is driven by a woman, the writer asserts, you must ensure the the fan is locked on so that a failure of the sensor won't mean a blown head gasket.

What do you think? Is it mainly women who never watch their gauges? I know that I've driven far more kilometres at a time than would be needed to cook an engine without once casting a glance at the dials...
Old 23 Aug 2001, 16:17 (Ref:134911)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, my mum nearly cooked her little Fiesta's engine once.

She had stopped of to go into a shop and I was sitting in the car, with the engine running, when suddenly smoke started rising out the bonnet. When we inspected the engine, we found out that someone had filled up the radiator water tank, but left the cap 'half-on'.

That person turned out to be my dad...
Old 23 Aug 2001, 21:19 (Ref:135079)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have you know that my eyes flick constantly from road to mirrors to instruments and back again, Ray, so I, and no doubt most, of not all the female members of this forum would appreciate it if you would take this sort of patronising, mysoginistic, generalising tripe elsewhere. I am not an airheaded bimbo who spends her time in the car fixing her hair and wondering where her next sex is coming from, nor do I know any women who are. To suggest that all women - or any - drive like this is blatantly wrong and shows an attitude more suited to the most ignorant denizens of the 17th century.
Old 23 Aug 2001, 21:21 (Ref:135080)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Oh, and another thing Ray: while technically posts such as yours are not breaking any forum rules, I find it very hard to believe that this sort of thing is not intentionally inflammatory. I, and everyone else, would greatly appreciate it if you would think for a while before posting such rubbish.
Old 23 Aug 2001, 21:30 (Ref:135088)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easy now, Ray Bell did not say he agreed with the idea that female drivers do not pay attention to their gauges(nor did he disagree), he was merely using this other guys words to illustrate his point.

I do watch my gauges. I often check to monitor temperature, especially when its 108 degrees outisde and I am stuck in traffic with the AC running. Oil pressure and temperature are the two important ones. I also watch my fuel consumption to determine how the ignition system is running. If it changes drastically then you know to check a spark plug, fuel filter or air filter out.
Old 23 Aug 2001, 23:28 (Ref:135155)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
Oh, and another thing Ray: while technically posts such as yours are not breaking any forum rules, I find it very hard to believe that this sort of thing is not intentionally inflammatory. I, and everyone else, would greatly appreciate it if you would think for a while before posting such rubbish.
What exactly do I have to think about?

Just what ways all you who have taken a dislike to me can misread what I say? How what I write can be interpreted wrongly?

And apology would be in order... read my post and see why!
Old 24 Aug 2001, 09:06 (Ref:135225)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
And apology would be in order...
Yes Ray, yes it would .

I would give you the benefit of the doubt if this were the first sexist remark I read in your posts, but it's not is it?

Think about it Ray, if it may offend (your opinion or not), don't post it.
Old 24 Aug 2001, 10:33 (Ref:135255)   #8
condor
Rookie

condor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ray, being an Australian doesn't realise how it comes across.
Let's just take it as a cultural difference
Old 24 Aug 2001, 11:46 (Ref:135271)   #9
Maisie
Veteran

OK, fair point, KC, Ray was just quoting, but I think this sort of quote is best left elsewhere and not brought up here, especially in the light of Ray's recent posts. BUT, nowhere has he said that he disagrees with this, and in fact the tone of his post suggests to me at least that he finds it funny, and in fact does agree - something backed up by other comments he's made in the past.

Basically, Ray, what you have said in the past is "Women are too sex-obsessed, self-obsessed and stupid to drive properly." So exactly how am I supposed to "misread" or NOT be offended by that sort of comment?? If you /do/ mean this sort of thing as a "joke", then please qualify it with a smiley, although even with a smiley, that sort of comment is likely to make me very angry anyway.

Condor, this can not be put aside as a "cultural difference." No other Australian member of this forum (and there are many) manages to offend so many people (50% of the population in this case) on such a seemingly regular basis. And even if it was a "cultural difference", you'd think after the first time it would be realised that this sort of thing was not understood by other cultures, and keep silent.

Last edited by Maisie; 24 Aug 2001 at 11:49.
Old 24 Aug 2001, 12:16 (Ref:135296)   #10
condor
Rookie

Maisie - OK religous difference then (but I think it still comes under cultural difference)
Ray lives his life by the bible (strange but true)
Old 24 Aug 2001, 12:20 (Ref:135301)   #11
condor
Rookie

should have added he's old as well 50 plus.
He's a really nice bloke - you just have to get to know him
Old 24 Aug 2001, 13:09 (Ref:135328)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by condor
I think Ray, being an Australian doesn't realise how it comes across.
Let's just take it as a cultural difference
It definitely isn't a cultural difference Condor, more an age thing.
If that..............
Old 24 Aug 2001, 13:11 (Ref:135331)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by condor
Maisie - OK religous difference then (but I think it still comes under cultural difference)
Ray lives his life by the bible (strange but true)

Heard of the Conquistadors Condor?
Old 24 Aug 2001, 13:30 (Ref:135336)   #14
condor
Rookie

Vaguely Alan - but never was much good at History - were they Spanish?
Old 24 Aug 2001, 14:06 (Ref:135354)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

Once again, Maisie, I ask you to read my post. And go back to that other thread and read the context, the posts around mine...

AlanJones, knowing that the Conquistadors were murderous Spaniards on a mission of conquest, I wonder why you mentioned them?

The certainly weren't 'old' (wonder why I'm possibly excused if I'm old... I'm only 55) and they didn't live by any bible...

Just read my posts with a positive viewpoint and you won't have all these ideas.
Old 24 Aug 2001, 16:41 (Ref:135393)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd just like to clarify that I didn't mean my post to be offensive or sexist in anyway, I hope nobody took it as that, infact, it was a man's fault, my dad.
Old 24 Aug 2001, 22:56 (Ref:135523)   #17
Maisie
Veteran

Ray, I can read thank you. I have read and re-read your post, and it's still sexist and offensive.

Condor, this is nothing to do with religion - the systematic undermining and denigrating of women should have, and does not have, anything to do with religion. I am quite aware of Ray's age and religious views, but I don't see how either of these is incompatible with giving women, or indeed any group of human beings the respect they deserve.
Old 24 Aug 2001, 23:31 (Ref:135529)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I don't believe that Ray has said anything that sexist.

Look:
Quote:
Anyway, it has been asserted several times that women never watch the gauges, so if your car is driven by a woman, the writer asserts, you must ensure the the fan is locked on so that a failure of the sensor won't mean a blown head gasket.
Ray has not been sexist himself, he has wrote down what the majority of these Peugeot people think, not himself.

Look at his second sentence here. Ray actually accuses himself of not paying attention, so you can hardly say he's one of these guys that believe women are, well you can make up your own mind what I would've put down.
Quote:
Is it mainly women who never watch their gauges? I know that I've driven far more kilometres at a time than would be needed to cook an engine without once casting a glance at the dials...

Last edited by touringlegend; 24 Aug 2001 at 23:32.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 01:05 (Ref:135556)   #19
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Point one: When someone makes a statement like "Men are taller than women" it is shorthand for the statement "the average man is taller than the average woman". It clearly does not mean that the shortest man is taller than the tallest woman.
Similiarly, when someone makes a statement like "men never remember birthdays" they mean that men are less likely to remember birthdays than women.
They clearly do not mean that no man has ever remembered a birthday or that all men forget birthdays. To interpret these statements in the literal fashion is obviously not correct.

Point two: Men and women are different. They are diverse. To deny that men and women think and feel differently is to live in a fantasy world.

Point three: An intelligent person can't help but notice the differences and similiarities between two objects or groups of objects.
Old 28 Aug 2001, 11:40 (Ref:136996)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*Stephen's head pops up for a quick peep to make sure the coast is clear before saying anything*

Err, scuze me folks but what's with the OLD comments. That's blatantly ageist and I'm 50!!!!!

Ok, going to run back down my burrow now, night night all.....
Old 28 Aug 2001, 11:41 (Ref:136999)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oh yippee, that was my 400th post!!!!!!!
Old 28 Aug 2001, 17:46 (Ref:137149)   #22
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a few "incidents" I watch my gauges all the time.I also discovered that the stock Ford gauges are not accurate,so I added some !!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
gaugesd.jpg  
Old 28 Aug 2001, 21:16 (Ref:137259)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Good grief Alan, watching all those must take your mind off the road at times?
Old 28 Aug 2001, 22:12 (Ref:137295)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

Actually, you'll see he's placed them so he barely has to shift his eyes off the road at all... very good!
Old 28 Aug 2001, 22:50 (Ref:137322)   #25
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not as bad as it looks ! The A-pillar gauges are water temp and oil pressure.In the centre are vacuum/boost and fuel pressure.I use the tach/shift light when drag racing.It's much safer to watch for a light than trying to look at the stock tach.
The stock water temp,tach and oil pressure gauges were inaccurate ,and are disconnected.

Alan