Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3746788)   #1226
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't watched as hardcore as I used to for a few years, but I found Ted the opposite of that. When it was ITV, it was all so dumbed down it was beyond tabloid - it was just insulting how they spoke to you like you were a mentally disabled child. Explaining why pole positions are important, explaining why you need to change tyres at pit stops. Even refusing to go to adverts when Jenson was leading just in case you turn off. The entire broadcast quality was insulting.

Ted actually talks about technology, and asks questions that might be a little uncomfortable for certain people. He actually has knowledge which is utilised, and he does proper race run downs and analysis. Maybe his tone of voice can come over in that regard (like you say bella, his manner), but I don't think the content does. Having spent so long watching ITV, I considered Ted a huge breath of fresh air when BBC and Sky allowed him to unleash his inner geek.

Maybe team principles would enjoy it better if Mark Blundell was asking things like "Christian, Riccardo won the race, just how awesome is Riccardo?", but that isn't fun and we don't learn anything. I personally would prefer to know why Lewis was cost the race victory.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3746805)   #1227
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Kravitz stood his ground when he asked his question. I respect that.

Sky's post-race interrogation on Vettel's own manoeuvre on Hamilton was poor though. Was that Rachel Brookes handling the mike? Whoever it was let Vettel off the hook at that stage.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3746806)   #1228
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it fine up until the point where there wasn't the follow up question of "why did you drive into the side of Hamilton?". Up till then I thought it was going well as Vettel was giving us a lot of insight.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3746812)   #1229
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I thought it fine up until the point where there wasn't the follow up question of "why did you drive into the side of Hamilton?". Up till then I thought it was going well as Vettel was giving us a lot of insight.
Vettel would be forthcoming on his own problems with Hamilton though wouldn't he? That doesn't have to be coaxed out of him. Vettel's own villainy, now that's a touchy matter requiring talent from an interviewer to broach.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3746815)   #1230
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was just beginning to show and that he was ignoring the elephant was highlighting, but you're right a good interviewer would have then pressed it. You don't have to be all Jeremy Paxman from the off to get a good interview, but you do need to know when to turn it on. Walking did make it difficult as Vettel wasn't trapped in the interview.

Still, a lost opportunity.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3746817)   #1231
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
That one of the reasons I dislike anything that involves the Murdock organizations and some of them are more than a bit tabloid.
Kravitz isn't in the Murdoch mould. He didn't approach Wolff looking for "head" to be served up on a platter or a body to be vilified or something.

He's bookish, nerdish guy and a stickler for details. He had a puzzle to solve and wanted Wolff to help him.

Wolff himself was probably in a state of some distress. We all saw his reaction shot over Hamilton's rest-thingy problem and hallucinated in Kravitz' question an intent to expand the controversy that just wasn't there.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3746819)   #1232
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I get the anti-Murdoch thing, but I don't see the skyF1 coverage being super tabloid. Or, at least, not more that dumbed down stupid coverage you get everywhere. Same for most of their sports coverage (for the sports I watch). I'm not claiming it is the greatest thing ever, but not really tabliody (that is a new word).
Old 25 Jun 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3746820)   #1233
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
I get the anti-Murdoch thing, but I don't see the skyF1 coverage being super tabloid. Or, at least, not more that dumbed down stupid coverage you get everywhere. Same for most of their sports coverage (for the sports I watch). I'm not claiming it is the greatest thing ever, but not really tabliody (that is a new word).
They are very solid Sky. Lazenby -- whom I didn't like initially -- has gotten quite reasonable. Hill and Herbert work well together. There's no wild Jordan-esque clown-gossip on Sky. Kravitz isn't unlike a guy you'd find in RLM. I've no serious complaints about them.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3746822)   #1234
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree, he could fit into RLM well. He's a bit of a prat sometimes, but no different to the rest of us. Especially round here. I suspect if you hate Ted, you hate a little bit of yourself.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3746925)   #1235
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd take someone with boundless enthusiasm who is sometimes a bit of a prat, over the absolute droll of ITV. I think people have forgotten how bad the ITV days were, where James Allen didn't commentate on the race - just whatever Jenson Button was doing. Montoya was wheel to wheel with Raikkonen, but Jenson, who retired 14 laps ago, is having a sandwich and we need to know what filling it has. And then race run down by Mark Blundell, who'd tell you tyres are great because they keep the car off the ground.

The SkyF1 coverage is really good. But to be fair, most of it was lifted from the BBC coverage, which was absolutely brilliant, and IMO the best F1 coverage in the world, and for decades.

Of course, I'd rather have Sam Collins and Nick Damon arguing about the definition of hybrid on Radio Le Mans.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3747084)   #1236
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That was a great argument. At the end of it I just thought both were wrong by the end! It was the radio equivalent of a TF110 and chernaudi discussion.

No on covers most sports like the Beeb. They are the standard bearer. The sky coverage is close. The small bit we lost in quality we gained massively in quantity (if you can be bothered). I'd have it back on the Beeb in a heartbeat. I'd sacrifice the quantity if I could chose, but it's not bad where it is.

The sky coverage is like the Beeb coverage! I agree, but where does that leave the Murdoch and Beeb lefty approach theories that you get every time you mention either. It probably shows the theories aren't as true as people's prejudices?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3747106)   #1237
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel ITV raised the bar with more coverage, then the BBC did even better. Just a shame we get half he races live on freeview now
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3747140)   #1238
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 could do with a 21st Century Murray Walker.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3747148)   #1239
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
ITV is a mass broadcaster just tried to pull in everyone, so they had simplicitic punditry so even the most foolish would get it. Public broadcasters haven't that kind of pressure, so they've more breathing room to craft a solid middle brow product and Sky being a niche, dedicated channel has space to make a decent showing as well.

TBH, TV punditry in any sport annoys me generally (lots of cliche's n' chaff) so I kind of screen that out and join the race just before the start and when its finished and then later on digest what happened with my bros on here and read the literature during the week.

I did see the gridwalk on Sunday now that I think of it. Brundle chasin' Mariah Carey was very cringeworthy. I hate celebrities and I have a particular dislike for her. But it'll be a cold day in hell before any of the broadcasters abandon those type of antics I suppose.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3747292)   #1240
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
F1 could do with a 21st Century Murray Walker.
Ben Edwards has been the most solid since he retire. He's had so much experience in all types of motorsport and is very enthusiastic
Old 27 Jun 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3747419)   #1241
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
ITV is a mass broadcaster just tried to pull in everyone, so they had simplicitic punditry so even the most foolish would get it.
ITV aren't a broadcaster. They sell advertising. Numbers is the game, not quality. sky might have adverts, but they need to sell subscriptions too. So don't annoy those into a sport who are likely to be annoyed. what you say about the beeb and sky fits this.

Quote:
I did see the gridwalk on Sunday now that I think of it. Brundle chasin' Mariah Carey was very cringeworthy. I hate celebrities and I have a particular dislike for her. But it'll be a cold day in hell before any of the broadcasters abandon those type of antics I suppose.
I thought it was played well by Brundle, almost expectant of failure to tell us something about The Mariah. He rather let it down with the I love her music comment. I understand DC played it in a similar way on channel 4.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 23:46 (Ref:3747491)   #1242
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
ITV aren't a broadcaster. They sell advertising. Numbers is the game, not quality. sky might have adverts, but they need to sell subscriptions too. So don't annoy those into a sport who are likely to be annoyed. what you say about the beeb and sky fits this.

I thought it was played well by Brundle, almost expectant of failure to tell us something about The Mariah. He rather let it down with the I love her music comment. I understand DC played it in a similar way on channel 4.
Why do you say ITV aren't a broadcaster?
Old 28 Jun 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3747513)   #1243
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm repeating a theory I once read years ago (possibly here?) that explained the style and quality of programmes on ITV.

Basically the BBC's purpose is to make good telly. ITV's purpose is to generate advertising income. Ideally with the highest audience (more income potential), with lowest cost. There are some nuances to this theory, but I quite liked it.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3747530)   #1244
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's surely to do with programming and content, rather than whether ITV are a broadcaster or not.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3747563)   #1245
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Oh, yes they are. ITV do engage in the activity of broadcasting, ergo they are a broadcaster.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3747567)   #1246
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
They are a broadcaster, but I see what Adam is saying. BBC's first priority is to broadcast good TV. ITVs first priority is fitting as many ads in as they legally can, so the quality of broadcasting slips. They are a broadcaster but I understand what the theory is trying to say.

BBC are a television broadcaster
ITV are a way of getting ads to your home
Old 28 Jun 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3747642)   #1247
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Oh, yes they are. ITV do engage in the activity of broadcasting, ergo they are a broadcaster.
I do know that, surely you realised I did? That is clear, self evident, goes without saying, and the base point. I was making an observation about the priorities of their business compared to other broadcasters.

Old 28 Jun 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3747677)   #1248
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
BBC are a television broadcaster
ITV are a way of getting ads to your home
By that token you could say a gentleman driver is the only pure racing driver as he's doing it for the love of it whereas professional drivers cram as many sponsors in as they can.

Not sure where EastEnders, Pitch Battle and the morning dross fit into the BBC only wanting to broadcast good TV. They are chasing ratings as much as anyone else otherwise they would find it even harder to justify the license fee if all the most watched programs were on other channels.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3747734)   #1249
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure why we are discussing the BBC here which has not covered any motorsport for years? Read somewhere that Sky are going to rename their sport channels-maybe I can cancel my subscription to all but the F1 channel which is the only one that covers any sport that I follow
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3747744)   #1250
S griffin
Veteran

The only motorsport the BBC covers these days is F1 on Five Live. And also the odd documentary on the telly

Tags
pinks