Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:29 (Ref:4137033)   #126
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Right - if we're done with the pedantry, on to the next question:

Alberto Ascari’s is the largest.
Charles LeClerc's is the most recent.

What do they have?
Did their first and second wins happen in back to back races?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:46 (Ref:4137042)   #127
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Deleted.

Last edited by Greem; 13 Dec 2022 at 15:50. Reason: Got all my dates back to front
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:59 (Ref:4137046)   #128
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Did their first and second wins happen in back to back races?
Not the answer I am looking for.

Clues:

Max Verstappen had one on 23 May 2021.
Max Verstappen lost his on 5 September 2021.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4137073)   #129
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
?? I don’t think there’s ever been an F1 venue called “Donnington.”
yes, quite. Put that in a satnav and you end up at Donnington Castle near Newbury, Berks.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4137105)   #130
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
yes, quite. Put that in a satnav and you end up at Donnington Castle near Newbury, Berks.
Anorak fact: When the circuit re-opened in 1976 the (I think) Paddock Pass tickets had the circuit name spelled with two 'n's. I kept mine for years as a (useless) souvenir but eventually lost it!
Old 14 Dec 2022, 08:48 (Ref:4137106)   #131
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not the answer I am looking for.

Clues:

Max Verstappen had one on 23 May 2021.
Max Verstappen lost his on 5 September 2021.
Hmm well Max won Monaco on 23/5/21 and won his home GP on 5/9/21... so no direct "loss". This is a tough one! There isn't a lot that correlates Ascari, Max and Charles.

Am I on the right track if I'm suggesting it's to do with a Pole-Win-Fastest Lap..?
Old 14 Dec 2022, 09:01 (Ref:4137108)   #132
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Am I on the right track if I'm suggesting it's to do with a Pole-Win-Fastest Lap..?
No - that's not in the right area.

It's about something of a greater significance than a single race result.

The first person to have one was Nino Farina
The second was Juan Manuel Fangio
Nino Farina lost his 3 September 1950
Juan Manuel Fangio lost his 27 May 1951

This meant that no one had this until Piero Taruffi gained his on 18 May 1952
Piero Taruffi has never lost his.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4137135)   #133
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this something to do with the 1st win and the time to the second win. Fairly sure Taruffi only had one win.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 12:18 (Ref:4137138)   #134
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Is this something to do with the 1st win and the time to the second win. Fairly sure Taruffi only had one win.
Not quite - but you are along the right line of thinking.

Further clue(s):

Not every race winner will have had this.
But every WDC will have had this (at some point in their career).

John Surtees and James Hunt both have this to their name. And when they picked up theirs, it was even more significant than when other drivers did.

On the current grid - Charles LeClerc is the only driver to currently have it.
If he wins the first round of 2023, he is guaranteed to lose it.

Since 1950, 61 drivers have had it.
23 drivers in total still have it today.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 16:03 (Ref:4137176)   #135
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lots of intriguing hints. I am really curious to see what the answer is.

Richard
Old 14 Dec 2022, 16:06 (Ref:4137178)   #136
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Is it that they all led the championship for only one unbroken stretch of time?

Ascari’s was almost two years, Leclerc’s just a few races. Hunt and Surtees took the championship lead for the only time in the final race of the season. Verstappen took the lead for the second time in Zandvoort 2021.

Also, Tim Schenken was the final correct answer for my question.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4137181)   #137
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Is it that they all led the championship for only one unbroken stretch of time?

Ascari’s was almost two years, Leclerc’s just a few races. Hunt and Surtees took the championship lead for the only time in the final race of the season. Verstappen took the lead for the second time in Zandvoort 2021.
Yes!!

Charles LeClerc's is the most recent.

What do they have?

They have the status of only leading the F1 Title Race once in their careers.

Alberto Ascari, 14 races: Alberto Ascari won two World Championships, in 1952 and 1953, yet only led the title race for a single 14 race streak. The Italian seized the championship lead from Pierro Taruffi as a result of winning the 1952 French Grand Prix. He then maintained that lead until the end of the following season, during which time he won an impressive eleven races; including seven consecutively.

Charles Leclerc: took the third victory of his Formula 1 career at the season-opening 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix. His victory saw him take the top spot in the Drivers’ Championship for the first – and so far only – time in his career.

The drivers who 'lost theirs', no longer had the status of being a one-time leader of the championship.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 17:00 (Ref:4137183)   #138
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Thanks, great question.

My question is extremely easy to get with the use of Google, so I am going to request no forms of research apart from your own brains.

There was once a 24 hours of Le Mans where the race winners developed a leak in the petrol tank and were forced to patch it up with chewing gum. To win the question, you simply have to get the name of the two drivers who won. For bonus points, what year was it, and which manufacturer did they drive for?
Old 14 Dec 2022, 17:56 (Ref:4137188)   #139
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would the manufacturer be Wrigley's.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4137195)   #140
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Would the manufacturer be Wrigley's.
You naughty boy, RB, its a Hollywood story… I'd say not only chewing gum but a piece of soap too.

My ex team mate Michel Lateste used chewing gum once to stop a leaking rad but this is not the answer (Lola).

Great question BTCC, may be you can go on with sandwiches stories… Elles sont souvent savoureuses!
Old 14 Dec 2022, 19:12 (Ref:4137202)   #141
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They have the status of only leading the F1 Title Race once in their careers.
Nice. I was looking into your hints. Especially those regarding Max and was wondering if it was something to do with title points as the gap to second was small, but didn't think of that exact scenario. I was going to dig into what might have started/stopped on the dates (race weekends) but realized it would require a bunch of research (I am super busy right now and didn't have the time to try to grind and find the pattern)

Richard
Old 14 Dec 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4137208)   #142
BTCC frog
Veteran

I'm afraid I don't know the manufacturer of the gum

I realise that this is a 'know it or you don't' question, and so I will give a bit of a clue by describing the race in general.

The year is one in which there were two other fairly famous Grands Prix (plus many less well-known ones, of course), one of which was the Monaco GP, and the other was the Tripoli GP.

The two drivers involved were two of the best in the world at the time. In fact, one of them could arguably be the greatest driver in motor racing history. The decision by the team to pair them up at Le Mans caused much excitement as both would want to be the number one driver, and they showed it in the build up to the race.

In the race, this car was looking very strong in the opening stages but started to develop problems with the car, one of which was a petrol leak and caused the chewing gum fix. In the end, the driver who I have described as one of the greatest ever had to make up one lap on the leader, and managed to catch him on the final lap, during which there were three lead changes between the two lead cars and the car with the chewing gum was victorious.

This driver would go on to have a famous win at the German Grand Prix two years later, one of the greatest ever race drives.

The other driver would race one season in Formula 1, drive for two teams, and briefly lead the Belgian Grand Prix.

The manufacturer has won a driver’s championship in Formula 1, a couple of decades (approximately) after this Le Mans win.

Last edited by BTCC frog; 14 Dec 2022 at 21:17.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4137224)   #143
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I'm afraid I don't know the manufacturer of the gum

I realise that this is a 'know it or you don't' question, and so I will give a bit of a clue by describing the race in general.

The year is one in which there were two other fairly famous Grands Prix (plus many less well-known ones, of course), one of which was the Monaco GP, and the other was the Tripoli GP.

The two drivers involved were two of the best in the world at the time. In fact, one of them could arguably be the greatest driver in motor racing history. The decision by the team to pair them up at Le Mans caused much excitement as both would want to be the number one driver, and they showed it in the build up to the race.

In the race, this car was looking very strong in the opening stages but started to develop problems with the car, one of which was a petrol leak and caused the chewing gum fix. In the end, the driver who I have described as one of the greatest ever had to make up one lap on the leader, and managed to catch him on the final lap, during which there were three lead changes between the two lead cars and the car with the chewing gum was victorious.

This driver would go on to have a famous win at the German Grand Prix two years later, one of the greatest ever race drives.

The other driver would race one season in Formula 1, drive for two teams, and briefly lead the Belgian Grand Prix.

The manufacturer has won a driver’s championship in Formula 1, a couple of decades (approximately) after this Le Mans win.
All joking aside it was 1933 , the drivers were Nuvolari and Sommer in an Alfa Romeo 8C.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 08:58 (Ref:4137225)   #144
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I've read that story too. What a combination those two were
Old 15 Dec 2022, 10:51 (Ref:4137239)   #145
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
All joking aside it was 1933 , the drivers were Nuvolari and Sommer in an Alfa Romeo 8C.
Correct! You can take the next question.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 18:07 (Ref:4137264)   #146
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Who was it that failed to qualify for a GP, failed to finish the race and was disqualified,
what was he driving and where did it happen?
Old 15 Dec 2022, 18:53 (Ref:4137265)   #147
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
1977 German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, Hans Heyer, with the ATS Racing Team.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 19:28 (Ref:4137266)   #148
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
OK. But what was he driving?
Old 15 Dec 2022, 19:33 (Ref:4137267)   #149
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
ATS Penske-Ford PC4?
Old 15 Dec 2022, 19:38 (Ref:4137268)   #150
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Perfect.