Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 6 Apr 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1271561)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Croft - Keeping The Sun At Your Back

Knowing nothing of the geography of Croft can anybody offer the sequence of corners from which to snap that will keep the sun largely behind you during the day?
Old 6 Apr 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1271607)   #2
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try contacting KennyG. I believe that Croft is his local.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1271681)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember the sun being a problem whenever I have been to Croft...
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1271696)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's being so cheerful that keeps you going
I saw the Clio race supporting the BTCC last year on TV and I remember that being sunny at times...it only needs to appear for a few minutes to mess things up...sundays 10 min session for the GT's at Donington being a good example..it decided to appear through the clouds so that the exit from Godards was head on into it
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1271936)   #5
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
sundays 10 min session for the GT's at Donington being a good example..it decided to appear through the clouds so that the exit from Godards was head on into it
It was sunny for the warm-up? Cripes, maybe I should have got out of bed earlier..
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1271943)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
NO it wasnt sunny the sun appeared for long enough to spoil my pictures then it went cold and crappy again
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1271950)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul, take a look at http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200...ies/index.html and http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200...oft/index.html both sets of photos where taken at Croft at the back end of last year.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1271999)   #8
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some very nice pics there rdjones
Old 6 Apr 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1272103)   #9
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I hear my name mentioned? Croft is hell for the sun and you have to know your way around. I assume you will be there as media Paul? If you are, then here are my suggestions for a typical day at Croft with the racing starting at noon.

First race, maybe second as well if they are short - Clervaux with a walk along to Hawthorns for the variety.
Inside the Hairpin triangle shooting towards the complex for the next two races.
Cross the track at the complex, go up the right-hand side of the trees to the Esses and shoot towards Tower from near the marshals hut.
If you are brave and fiit, cross the track at the Esses, turn right and go down to the marshals post at Barcroft. Be quick, its a bit of a walk and you need to be there before the next race.
To finish, go back into the centre of the hairpin triangle, right into its apex and shoot down to the Complex exit.

That should about fill your day. For Rallycross, forget everything I have said, they use a different layout. If you are not there as media, stick to the Complex and Sunny Out.

I am at every Croft meeting this year plus all meetings but one at Oulton Park, so look me up. I did a bike shoot at Croft this last weekend, using the locations mentioned and you can see the results here: http://www.motorpix.co.uk/cr0304.htm

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 7 Apr 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1272524)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Thanks for that...when you say Clervaux & Hawthorns do you mean from the outisde or inside of the track?
Old 7 Apr 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1272541)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there is anywhere to stand on the inside at those corners. I know I stood at the outside a few years back and nearly got hit by Jamie Spence... A visit to the medical centre was required.

Apologies to the many hundreds of people who have heard that tale before.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1272850)   #12
KennyG
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
Thanks for that...when you say Clervaux & Hawthorns do you mean from the outisde or inside of the track?
There is no inside, so it is from the outside. Can be fun when an errant Legend pack or a pair of Clios come hurtling at you. That's when you appreciate a 1D type camera with L lens to keep out the gravel trap dust which flies everywhere. You will quickly pick up from the rest of us where the best places are. When are you coming to visit us?

Old 7 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1272870)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
May 21st HSCC...last time I was at Croft I was holding a pit board out for Frank Sytner in FF2000
Old 8 Apr 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1273034)   #14
KennyG
Racer

I'll see you there Paul.

Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1275900)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
using the locations mentioned and you can see the results here: http://www.motorpix.co.uk/cr0304.htm

bottom bike shot: "this is #114 on final approach, requesting permission to land on runway 1, over"

as an old motorcyclist, my thoughts were "ouch, and looks like it'll be an expensive landing..." hope he was okay.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1275905)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
being so close to both Mallory & Cadwell I really ought to do more bikes...I've only ever done a few MotoGp as a punter
Old 11 Apr 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1275937)   #17
KennyG
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
as an old motorcyclist, my thoughts were "ouch, and looks like it'll be an expensive landing..." hope he was okay.
He e-mailed me to let me know he was intact. The bike was pretty much shaken but not that badly damaged after its 35ft in the air flight.

Old 12 Apr 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1276481)   #18
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
always nice to hear. I have had a couple of occasions where I distinctly remember thinking as I slid and tumbled along, "please don't land on me..." twenty years on and I still touch wood that my bike or the other guy's didn't.