Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1800754)   #76
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Why else would Porsche be looking at the rules for P1 then? So they've considered it. And they above anyone else should have a grasp of their marketing and business model.
And where in that article, did Hartmut Kristen, say anything about pursuing or participating in P-1?!! When asked what he thought of the rules, he replied. I got no inference that Porsche was thinking of P-1!

L.P.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1800760)   #77
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The coupe part of the rules applies to P1 if I recall correctly. So if Porsche are disappointed with the rules involving P1 I would infer that they have considered it.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1800767)   #78
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The coupe part of the rules applies to P1 if I recall correctly. So if Porsche are disappointed with the rules involving P1 I would infer that they have considered it.
So I suppose they know the rules of GT-1, and do not like them. So they are thinking of building a GT-1 car?? Just because they are aware of the rules, does not mean they are thinking of participating in that class! I would venture to guess, it is a rule that everyone in "LM" type racing is aware of.

L.P.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1800771)   #79
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then why comment on them? Spyders will be allowed in P2. So Porsche have nothing to fear in that respect. There have already been rumors that the P2 program could morph into a P1 program. But Porsche would maybe rather do this with an open top car. Thus the comment.

It's my speculation of course, but I am sure they have looked into P1. So why is hard to imagine that Porsche are giving the ACO a nudge? The ACO would love to have Porsche in P1. The story line is magic. Porsche know this.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1800774)   #80
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Then why comment on them? Spyders will be allowed in P2. So Porsche have nothing to fear in that respect. There have already been rumors that the P2 program could morph into a P1 program. But Porsche would maybe rather do this with an open top car. Thus the comment.

It's my speculation of course, but I am sure they have looked into P1. So why is hard to imagine that Porsche are giving the ACO a nudge? The ACO would love to have Porsche in P1. The story line is magic. Porsche know this.
Because he was asked a direct question about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L.P.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1800824)   #81
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I wonder if you saw the Seinfeld exclamation point episode?

Seriously though, why argue about this? I think it's fairly logical to assume that Porsche have considered the P1 rules. They built a P2 prototype. So at some point, they would have given thought to P1. Furthermore, they are not pleased with the coupe aspect of the future P1 rules. I don't see where I'm saying anything ground breaking or untrue. Am I speculating? Sure. But I think it's a pretty safe speculation.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1800838)   #82
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually thought the most revealing part of the interview surrounded Hartmut's suggestion that we may see another Spyder (or Spyder's) in the ALMS next year - "Since interest in the U.S. is huge, we might have further news before the start of the 2007 season."

And equally revealing was the somewhat downbeat reference to the Spyder situation in Europe for 2007 - "In Europe we are still looking into different opportunities." Doesn't sound too promising to me and I've all but given up hope of seeing a Spyder at Le Mans next June. I'm convinced that Porsche expected to be there, but it looks increasingly unlikely. Very sad..........
Old 29 Dec 2006, 02:50 (Ref:1800892)   #83
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I wonder if you saw the Seinfeld exclamation point episode?

Seriously though, why argue about this? I think it's fairly logical to assume that Porsche have considered the P1 rules. They built a P2 prototype. So at some point, they would have given thought to P1. Furthermore, they are not pleased with the coupe aspect of the future P1 rules. I don't see where I'm saying anything ground breaking or untrue. Am I speculating? Sure. But I think it's a pretty safe speculation.
Ya, why argue about it? You know the climate in the boardroom? The specifics of VW A.G. financial woes? Audi senior board members going to VW! The desire to build and maintain market share in both gas & diesel Auto markets. Lots of variable's involved here. The desire of Porsche to have an affordable(relatively) customer P-2 base, like they have world wide with the GT cars! Business through racing. Did they contemplate P-1, probably, relevancy? Maybe they had billions of reasons($)not to be in P-1.

Quote:
And this shows Porsche are/were looking at P1. Why give them a reason not to enter the top category?
L.P.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1801073)   #84
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Porsche teams in either category announced yet, what are Embassy doing, they are my bet for an LMP2 entry in the LMS and we were told it would come soon.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1801089)   #85
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
No Porsche teams in either category announced yet, what are Embassy doing, they are my bet for an LMP2 entry in the LMS and we were told it would come soon.
I do hope you're right, although if the deal was done some time ago I suspect it won't be a Spyder. Such a shame GruppeM aren't in a position to take up the challenge of LMP2 with a Spyder (or two!).
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1801095)   #86
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I understand it Kenny Chen's business interests are very much in China at the moment with a booming Porsche distributorship although I think the team still exists in skeletal form. Certain elements of the team would have loved this but the cost to Mr Chen of the 2005 season was said to be frightening and he may be unwilling to spend so much again
Old 29 Dec 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1801151)   #87
Antho
Rookie

Cuba
Antho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
And where in that article, did Hartmut Kristen, say anything about pursuing or participating in P-1?!! When asked what he thought of the rules, he replied. I got no inference that Porsche was thinking of P-1!

L.P.
in fact, I have asked Mr Kristen : "Is it possible to see in a couple of years a Porsche LMP1 or a Porsche GT1?"
But unfortunately, he didn't answer this question...
Old 3 Jan 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1805229)   #88
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Feb 2007 Road & Track:

Want to go racing with an RS Spyder, which is said to be a half-second quicker than the 2006 car around Weissach? Well, you’d first have to be approved by Porsche as a viable team with a properly serious approach, and the car alone will set you back a cool $1.35 million. Rebuilds for the sealed engines, needed every 600 kilometers, will cost about $110,000."

OUCH
Old 3 Jan 2007, 15:54 (Ref:1805234)   #89
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing that Penske was able to rebuild the engines during races and still pull off victories. 600 KM is only 327 miles..
Old 3 Jan 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1805261)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82
It's amazing that Penske was able to rebuild the engines during races and still pull off victories. 600 KM is only 327 miles..
600 km = 372 mile

So at Sebring the engine builders of Porsche have to rebuild the engines 4 times...

Isn't this an error?
Old 3 Jan 2007, 17:18 (Ref:1805293)   #91
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, Road and Track wouldn't get that wrong, would they?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Jan 2007, 00:55 (Ref:1805731)   #92
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Yes, one would think they must have dropped a zero off the end of that #!! As that would put it in the LeMans window. Race was 5200km +/- and testing and qualifying. So 6000km would be about right.

L.P.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 04:30 (Ref:1805789)   #93
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Careful reading of the R&T article sidebar on page 107 indeed indicates 600'0' km.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1809187)   #94
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
mayk:
Just spoke with Dave Maraj...."No Champion in 2007..."
Yes, it is official that Audi will be in the ALMS in 2007 to defend their title....how many and drivers were not mentioned....So I would say you can put one confirmed...
Huh. No Champion Audi in 07. I wonder if maybe we see something in this livery
on an RS Spyder perhaps? Porsche said they had some more possibilities in the ALMS!
L.P.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1809478)   #95
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
But will Champion be running the ALMS for Audi or are they put on the backburner altogether ?

Yeah , a Champion RS Spyder would look very nice indeed .
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1809764)   #96
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
But will Champion be running the ALMS for Audi or are they put on the backburner altogether ?

Yeah , a Champion RS Spyder would look very nice indeed .
The only thing I really take from it is that there will not be a privateer Champion effort this year! Now if Champion want to have their own team, it would have to be in a Porsche( I presume) as that is the other half of their business. And Porsche did say there might be more RS's in the ALMS this year.

L.P.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 03:52 (Ref:1935650)   #97
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not many pictures of front end

http://www.theracesite.com/client_im...ms/2650_38.jpg
Old 17 Jul 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1965827)   #98
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I thought BMS were getting their hands on 2 Spyder's ..... or has that been put on hold ?
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1965907)   #99
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I thought BMS were getting their hands on 2 Spyder's ..... or has that been put on hold ?
I can't recall anything more than rumour in this regards so far.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1965986)   #100
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I can't recall anything more than rumour in this regards so far.
Anything recent on or from SEBAH Racing?

L.P.