Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3631415)   #1176
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Maybe or is Bernie up to his usual tricks to get Monza to dance to his tune?

I think if there was to be no GP in Italy Bernie would have to suffer the wrath of Ferrari, the Tifosi he would ignore.
I doubt he could ignore Marchionne.
Why just Monza though? Bernie could use the threat of Imola against any existing track whose contract is up for renewal.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 08:41 (Ref:3631416)   #1177
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Although Imola, I believe, holds a licence for international events, I recall that it was stated recently that F1 would require quite dramatic alterations made to the actual circuit, plus the fact that the paddock and pits areas do not come up to the standard that BCE would expect.

This smacks of being yet another exercise by Mr E to ramp up the pressure on Monza to get it's act in order. This may or may not be easier to achieve, now that Ivan Capelli has stepped down from his role at the circuit.
Imola is a FIA Grade 1 circuit, which is the classification required to hold a F1 race. Now Bernie may of course demand upgrades, but from a safety standpoint the track does meet current F1 standards.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3631425)   #1178
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Why just Monza though? Bernie could use the threat of Imola against any existing track whose contract is up for renewal.
True, but he can't use the threat of just any track against Monza because Monza management know he has to have a race in Italy.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3631436)   #1179
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Imola is a FIA Grade 1 circuit, which is the classification required to hold a F1 race. Now Bernie may of course demand upgrades, but from a safety standpoint the track does meet current F1 standards.
The thing is, many of the current F1 tracks have long been Grade 1 venues, yet still F1 demands changes are made to the layout or the run offs. It can also be for bikes of course, however I think F1 just likes ruining venues.

Imola is of course a rather delicate situation due to the tragic deaths that occurred there over 20 years ago. I can't help but feel there were better solutions to what was done to the layout before the 1995 season. I did actually really like the changes they made in 2008. Having that extra long straight brought back some of the high speed nature of the track after the changes made post 1994. However I think Imola has suffered enough, in many senses of the word. I wish they would just leave it alone.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3631442)   #1180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd love Imola to come back and in my view it doesn't need to change to bring F1 back. Let's have two GPs again in Italy again. We can't afford to lose Monza, the one we need to lose is Bernie
Old 9 Apr 2016, 11:45 (Ref:3631453)   #1181
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That article says the pits and paddock have been revamped. However, whether they are up to Bernie's exacting standards is another thing.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3631499)   #1182
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Maybe or is Bernie up to his usual tricks to get Monza to dance to his tune?
thats the classic tactic for sure and with 21 races already on the calendar im not sure how both can exist in the same(ish) country at the the same time.

alternating isnt ideal either as we saw with the German GP last year.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3631505)   #1183
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats the classic tactic for sure and with 21 races already on the calendar im not sure how both can exist in the same(ish) country at the the same time.

alternating isnt ideal either as we saw with the German GP last year.
The 2017 season hasn't been finalised.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3631517)   #1184
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
true true.
Old 31 May 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3646099)   #1185
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep your fingers, toes and everything else to hand, crossed, but it seems as though BCE shook hands on a deal for extending the Monza contract during the course of the Monaco weekend.

See: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34007.html
Old 1 Jun 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3646401)   #1186
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The thing is, many of the current F1 tracks have long been Grade 1 venues, yet still F1 demands changes are made to the layout or the run offs. It can also be for bikes of course, however I think F1 just likes ruining venues.

Imola is of course a rather delicate situation due to the tragic deaths that occurred there over 20 years ago. I can't help but feel there were better solutions to what was done to the layout before the 1995 season. I did actually really like the changes they made in 2008. Having that extra long straight brought back some of the high speed nature of the track after the changes made post 1994. However I think Imola has suffered enough, in many senses of the word. I wish they would just leave it alone.
I accepted the dog leg at Tamburello but there was no need to shove another in at 'Villeneuve' on the run to Tosa.

The changes since then have massacred the theatrical feel of the end of the lap through to the start finish straight. The weird constant shallow radius curve has the racing line running up against the pit wall which doesn't seem 'safe' at all?
Old 3 Jun 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3646960)   #1187
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least cutting out the Variante Bassa has speeded it up again. I'm curious to know though where it went in comparison to the circuit now
Old 3 Jun 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3646963)   #1188
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As we have a three times WDC - how about another race in the UK? Donnington here we come! I jest of course - but that was the argument given during the Schumi years, of having both Hockenheim and Nurburging.
Old 7 Jun 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3647990)   #1189
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
a friend just texted me this fun fact....6 f1 races over the next 8 weeks.

plus other categories including Le Mans plus the Euro Cup. i guess we are lucky that the olympics work with the august break but still this will be a busy sports summer.

what will you skip?
Old 7 Jun 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3647996)   #1190
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
a friend just texted me this fun fact.....

......what will you skip?
6 Grand Prix, the Euro Cup (is that when 22 overpaid louts kick a lump of leather around a piece of grass?) and the Olympics.

I might actually go to the next round of the BTCC at Croft, and I will watch at least the first 1/3 of Le Mans if not more as the two clash.

I might also, and this probably wouldn't interest you on your side of the pond, go to a local 20-20 cricket match at Headingly; cricket doesn't really float my boat, but they are such a good craic.
Old 7 Jun 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3648000)   #1191
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
a friend just texted me this fun fact....6 f1 races over the next 8 weeks.

plus other categories including Le Mans plus the Euro Cup. i guess we are lucky that the olympics work with the august break but still this will be a busy sports summer.

what will you skip?
In the same period, June 12 to July 31, there are 5 IndyCar races. So plenty to watch if you like motorsport.
Old 7 Jun 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3648013)   #1192
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I might also, and this probably wouldn't interest you on your side of the pond, go to a local 20-20 cricket match at Headingly; cricket doesn't really float my boat, but they are such a good craic.
yeah not too much cricket over here but it is growing in popularity. i suppose its comparable to baseball for me...boring to watch on TV but live and in person it is a good bit of fun.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3648492)   #1193
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
looks like Martin Brundle will not be in Canada for the race due to a medical procedure.

https://twitter.com/MBrundleF1/statu...00686196539392

and he will apparently also miss Baku as he will be at Le Mans.

two races skipped by MB
Old 9 Jun 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3648499)   #1194
S griffin
Veteran

He missed it in the first 3 years of ITV coverage due to Le Mans. Wonder if he really cares about missing Baku?
Old 16 Jun 2016, 17:56 (Ref:3650610)   #1195
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Ricciardo and Palmer doing a lap of Baku on the codemasters F1 game. looks very narrow and potentially some interesting bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZuStK4qUq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAMmQr7FjSc
Old 20 Jun 2016, 18:22 (Ref:3653913)   #1196
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
More rumours last weekend towards Italian race switching to Imola from next season.

More bs bargaining by Ecclestone against the Monza committee I guess?

If the race does move away from Monza the venue surely must go to Mugello?
Old 20 Jun 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3653934)   #1197
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, my second choice for the Italian Grand Prix would certainly be Mugello, and Ferrari owns it.

There could be more trouble brewing in Bahrain. The Spiritual Leader of the religious minority there has was stripped of his citizenship. The move has been denounced by the leader of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, who even suggested that Bahrain's royal family could be overthrown if the overall situation is not rectified.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3653938)   #1198
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Well, my second choice for the Italian Grand Prix would certainly be Mugello, and Ferrari owns it.

There could be more trouble brewing in Bahrain. The Spiritual Leader of the religious minority there has was stripped of his citizenship. The move has been denounced by the leader of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, who even suggested that Bahrain's royal family could be overthrown if the overall situation is not rectified.
There's already tension between Sunni Saudi Arabia and Shia Iran, with Iran ramping up oil production much to the annoyance of the Saudis.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 21:05 (Ref:3653951)   #1199
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The oil thing doesn't help, but this development specifically stirs that lovely Sunni/Shia pot, which is never the brightest thing to do.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3653988)   #1200
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The oil thing doesn't help, but this development specifically stirs that lovely Sunni/Shia pot, which is never the brightest thing to do.
The oil thing is part of the Sunni/Shia pot. Iran have deliberately upped oil production because it will impact on the Saudi economy. The Middle East is messy enough and this could impinge on Yas Marina.