Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is your driver of the Spanish Grand Prix?
Hamilton 15 20.27%
Rosberg 0 0%
Ricciardo 6 8.11%
Bottas 4 5.41%
Grosjean 3 4.05%
Raikkonen 1 1.35%
Alonso 0 0%
Button 0 0%
Massa 0 0%
Hulkenberg 0 0%
Perez 0 0%
Kvyat 0 0%
Gutierrez 0 0%
Magnussen 0 0%
Vettel 45 60.81%
Sutil 0 0%
Chilton 0 0%
Bianchi 0 0%
Ericsson 0 0%
Kobayashi 0 0%
Vergne 0 0%
Maldonado 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 May 2014, 06:49 (Ref:3405223)   #26
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel, superb result from that far back.
Old 12 May 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3405224)   #27
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Even getting grumpy because he hadn't been given times for 2 consecutive laps, just ended up sounding childish.
I think the phrase used on the Ten-Tenths Towers couch was "Awwwww, someone is cranky, maybe he didn't get his nap!"
Old 12 May 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3405240)   #28
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I haven't found the handling complaints, but here's some of the communications:

Engineer: "Lewis, zero to Nico last lap, gap 3.8."
Hamilton: "Where have you been the last few laps?"
Engineer: "Just letting you get through the traffic."
After this one I was waiting for the usual "Shh, just let me race man!"
Old 12 May 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3405252)   #29
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Didn't he say at one point that the car was horrible and oversteering everywhere? And on the very next lap went 1s faster than Rosberg. Something along those lines anyway. When's the last time you heard a driver so rattled despite lapping at least one car from every single team bar RB. I think overall most of Hamilton's radio communication that they broadcast seemed tense. Even getting grumpy because he hadn't been given times for 2 consecutive laps, just ended up sounding childish.

Engineer: "The rear tyres are cool, we are not sure if we are over protecting them."
Hamilton: "No! I already have oversteer, I am not going to open up my diff and give myself more."

Engineer:" Three turns down the for next stop."
Hamilton: "No, not three, why are you doing that? I want the normal two."

Hamilton: "How was last lap? Was it too slow?"
Engineer: "No pace was good at the end of the stint."
Hamilton: "Then why did you bring me?"
Engineer: "We are keeping you on the optimum strategy. Gap to Nico four seconds."
Hamilton: "It used to be 5.2."

Hamilton: "How much time did I lose in the pit-stop?"
Engineer: "Nico lost more in traffic, don't worry about that now."
Well, I think you may have just discovered that LH is what is known as a 'racing driver'. You know, someone who's job it is to get round a track a set number of times, whilst doing it faster than anyone else. Contrary to popular belief, this is actually quite difficult and can lead to stressful situations, especially when there is another car containing a 'racing driver' just behind you.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3405260)   #30
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This time I voted Ricciardo since it's his first podium.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3405279)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Didn't he say at one point that the car was horrible and oversteering everywhere? And on the very next lap went 1s faster than Rosberg. Something along those lines anyway. When's the last time you heard a driver so rattled despite lapping at least one car from every single team bar RB. I think overall most of Hamilton's radio communication that they broadcast seemed tense. Even getting grumpy because he hadn't been given times for 2 consecutive laps, just ended up sounding childish.

Engineer: "The rear tyres are cool, we are not sure if we are over protecting them."
Hamilton: "No! I already have oversteer, I am not going to open up my diff and give myself more."

Engineer: "We are keeping you on the optimum strategy. Gap to Nico four seconds."

See, apart from the "how much time did I lose in the pits" question (which I felt a pointless thing to ask, because it couldn't be changed) I'm not sure what is so wrong here?

We know Lewis is quite sharp on the radio in tone, but that is about all you can say. And nobody cares and it doesn't matter.

Yes, he went a second faster than Rosberg the next lap (if indeed it was the very next lap, these transmissions are time delayed) after his oversteer complaint. Well, maybe they changed a setting, maybe Rosberg had traffic or backed off to cool the tyres for a lap?

Does it matter?
Old 12 May 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3405302)   #32
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
We know Lewis is quite sharp on the radio in tone, but that is about all you can say. And nobody cares and it doesn't matter.
So, there you are, doing 200mph whilst steering, avoiding backmarkers, managing the DRS, altering diff and brake balance and all the other stuff a modern F1 driver need to do. And people expect them to talk calmly on the radio?

Are the people who think drivers should behave like robots the same ones who are so against all the technology in the cars, making the drivers more like robots?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 12 May 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3405347)   #33
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel. Storming drive. The RB is starting to look like a decent foil to the Mercs, but has a way to go yet.
Old 12 May 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3405426)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I was going to give it to Maldonado for trying to diminish the field as usual! but I think Hammy deserves it for another good drive from the front.
I was going to go with Maldonado for his superb comedy efforts on both Saturday and Sunday. In the end though I went for Vettel - good recovery.
Old 12 May 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3405437)   #35
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect what "Driver of the Race" actually means is very subjective.

Most exciting to watch? Arguably Maldonardo! Certainly on the first lap or so.

Best come-back? Must be Vettel.

Best for exceeding expectations? The rookie, Ricciardo, quietly ends up nearly half a minute in front of the 'great' four-times world champion in the same car, yet again. Do I see a future champion? I think so.
Old 12 May 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3405456)   #36
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Well, I think you may have just discovered that LH is what is known as a 'racing driver'. You know, someone who's job it is to get round a track a set number of times, whilst doing it faster than anyone else. Contrary to popular belief, this is actually quite difficult and can lead to stressful situations, especially when there is another car containing a 'racing driver' just behind you.
Agreed. If there had been pit-to-car radio when I was racing, I think it might have required a full-time bleep-man before considering broadcasting it. Either that, or it would have been totally silent because I wouldn't have had sufficient brain capacity left over for communication. Modern F1 broadcasting lets us into the secret world of some quite remarkable people. I don't think we should judge them by the standards of we ordinary mortals.
Old 12 May 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3405504)   #37
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Agreed. If there had been pit-to-car radio when I was racing, I think it might have required a full-time bleep-man before considering broadcasting it. Either that, or it would have been totally silent because I wouldn't have had sufficient brain capacity left over for communication. Modern F1 broadcasting lets us into the secret world of some quite remarkable people. I don't think we should judge them by the standards of we ordinary mortals.

Are the current crop of F1 drivers really that remarkable in having to/being able to multitask? It could be argued that they are all just a bunch of over hyped prima donnas with rich daddies and good connections.

Statistically there is a much larger chance that the true aliens (Sennas of the world) that come to F1 once in a lifetime are all just ordinary mortal forum members on here, like you and I... for whatever reason, we just never got the chance!
Old 13 May 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3405687)   #38
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel was outstanding and all three on the podium weren't half bad.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3405736)   #39
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Hamilton, da whinging pom

I love how the commentators defended him all the time

Vettel should be the DOTR
Old 13 May 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3405790)   #40
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Hamilton, da whinging pom

I love how the commentators defended him all the time

Vettel should be the DOTR
Agreed about Vettel, but ref. the whinging Pom. Would that be the whinging Pom who beat everyone else fair and square, including that roo botherer Ricciardo (by 50 seconds)?

If whinging makes him drive that fast, fair dinkum on him.

Although anyone who thinks that radio traffic between driver and pits counts as whining, really has no idea.
Old 13 May 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3405793)   #41
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Are the current crop of F1 drivers really that remarkable in having to/being able to multitask? It could be argued that they are all just a bunch of over hyped prima donnas with rich daddies and good connections.

Statistically there is a much larger chance that the true aliens (Sennas of the world) that come to F1 once in a lifetime are all just ordinary mortal forum members on here, like you and I... for whatever reason, we just never got the chance!
Yes. They are quite remarkable. You only have to look at Maldonado to see how good the rest are. He's had every opportunity and keep making a right pigs ear of it.

Although I would agree, there is probably an even faster driver out there than the current (and past), drivers, who has never had a chance to drive a race car. It's not me, I've raced, and was OK, but the really good people were really good.
Old 13 May 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3405801)   #42
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Agreed about Vettel, but ref. the whinging Pom. Would that be the whinging Pom who beat everyone else fair and square
yes, that's the one.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3406698)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i went for LH.

SV had a great drive but on a day dominated by teammate battles i needed him to beat his in order to get my DOTR vote.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3408085)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Between Grosjean and Bottas for me. Plumped for the Lotus driver in the end to even up the numbers a bit and because he was driving a Lotus, which is not as good as the Williams yet.

It's good to see the Vettel appreciation. I would've liked to have seen him somehow finish ahead of his team-mate, though, to have given him DOTR, personally.
Old 20 May 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3408431)   #45
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

It's good to see the Vettel appreciation. I would've liked to have seen him somehow finish ahead of his team-mate, though, to have given him DOTR, personally.
Vettel was on a fuel economy run from fairly early on in the race!

So had no chance of chasing down his team mate.
Old 21 May 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3408706)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

fair point and even if SV had caught up i imagine DR, who wasnt really challenged, would have had more fuel available to him during the closing stages...to me that just points to how DR had his car in a better position than his team mate all race thus making DR's race the better of the two.

anyways this thread is very subjective and im not really sure if i should take take quali performance into account or base it on who makes up the most spots during the race, or other criteria?

surely driver of the race is different than driver of the weekend. in truth when i voted for LH i probably had driver of the weekend in mind.
Old 21 May 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3408731)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Why was Vettel on a a fuel economy run?
Old 21 May 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3408735)   #48
LesterForbes
Site Partner
Rookie

United Nations
Glossop, Derbyshire
LesterForbes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel driver of the Spanish GP for me. A champions drive.
Old 21 May 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3408811)   #49
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Vettel has stuffed his qualifying putting him back in the pack then making up the places it wouldn't have been as special, granted.

However, his poor position was due to not making Q3 due to a gearbox failure and a subsequent penalty for having the gearbox replaced. It's hardly his fault, though I guess some people would argue it is indirectly his fault for being rough on the car.

Vettel was put back in the pack through a situation that was outside of his control. He made up around 15 places (I forget already exactly how many) and gained ground on his team mate at certain times during the race, if not passing him. I'm not a huge Vettel fan, but if you can't see why many have voted for him you are more one eyed than the rest of us.
Old 21 May 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3408822)   #50
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't understand the comments with regards to Vettel and fuel economy.