Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3890599)   #1051
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It's not the whole of parliament, but certainly the two main parties and the Irish wierdo's. Laughing stock is an understatement.

They are Northern Irish wierdos, part of UK. Please don't forget that!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3890602)   #1052
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is rather convenient to use "Brexit" as the reason for declining investment in the UK. What excuse does the EU have for an equally woeful position?

Money moves around all the time and at the moment the UK trend is downwards. So far we've had big hits in the automotive world which were nothing to to with Brexit and everything to do with shutting down diesel and the fact that the EU has agreed a tariff free deal with Japan.

Anyway as you will see from the links below, the current status is pretty much quo.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/forecast

https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/forecast
Old 15 Mar 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3890606)   #1053
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Which is why so many are leaving. Not just because of Brexit but also because of the total inability of Parliament to handle it. Markets hate uncertainty and we've had that for nearly three years now.

Topic of debate in the pub last night - will the EU grant an extension or are they so fed up that it's a case of "**** off on March 29th and good riddance"? Will our money finally be outweighed by our nuisance value?

As usual it all seemed so simple over a glass or two.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It IS simple Max. But the people? in charge think they are so clever they cant or wont (Depending on their allegiance)see it.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3890613)   #1054
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
It IS simple Max. But the people? in charge think they are so clever they cant or wont (Depending on their allegiance)see it.
Yes, but it'll be alright now, they've got together & voted for an extension to the prevarication period, so the unholy cock-up will be happening later.
What could possibly go wrong?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3890620)   #1055
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's not the whole of parliament, but certainly the two main parties and the Irish wierdo's. Laughing stock is an understatement.
You can't leave the remaining weirdos out Zef.

The political system comes as a package that attracts a lot of SIFs and people trying to escape from the real world but gain perceived power and influence.

The same model ripples down through the layer of what we call 'government'.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3890625)   #1056
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You can't leave the remaining weirdos out Zef.

The political system comes as a package that attracts a lot of SIFs and people trying to escape from the real world but gain perceived power and influence.

The same model ripples down through the layer of what we call 'government'.

One MP seems to actually rise above most of the rest, and that is Ken Clarke. Although a staunch believer in the EU, and vociferous remainer in his speeches, he has pretty well always voted to support those who formed the slim majority in the referendum. Even though it goes against his own personal wishes.

Mind you, I have admired him since the time that he was Chancellor in the nineties. One of my sons was seconded to the Treasury, and worked under Clarke to help produce Clarke's last Budget. Even though my son was young and very wet behind the ear, Clarke gave him huge responsibility which allowed my son to formulate the policy to reduce National Insurance rates because my son had created a computer model that showed that the reduction would actually lead to an overall rise in NIC receipts. And it worked.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3890627)   #1057
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Apologies . . . .with Byrne as a surname, I never would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge View Post
They are Northern Irish wierdos, part of UK. Please don't forget that!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3890630)   #1058
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Ken Clarkes alright, there aren't many tories I'd **** on if they were on fire.

The best MP in the house is Caroline Lucas. However The Green party or any other honest party will never succeed as long as the establishment and money maintain their stronghold.

THis photo made me smile, I've been suggesting the same for years.
Attached Thumbnails
51911382_10155777682106883_9200397303305732096_n.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3890638)   #1059
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The best MP in the house is Caroline Lucas.

What makes you think that, Joe?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3890639)   #1060
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
One MP seems to actually rise above most of the rest, and that is Ken Clarke. Although a staunch believer in the EU, and vociferous remainer in his speeches, he has pretty well always voted to support those who formed the slim majority in the referendum. Even though it goes against his own personal wishes.

Mind you, I have admired him since the time that he was Chancellor in the nineties. One of my sons was seconded to the Treasury, and worked under Clarke to help produce Clarke's last Budget. Even though my son was young and very wet behind the ear, Clarke gave him huge responsibility which allowed my son to formulate the policy to reduce National Insurance rates because my son had created a computer model that showed that the reduction would actually lead to an overall rise in NIC receipts. And it worked.
Clarke had that sometimes great managerial ability to be disinclined to demand micro-management control of everything for which he had responsibility.

This is seen by some as being 'lazy'.

So long as one is able to create a group of people as one's support team who have ability to do good and useful work the 'lazy' manager has an opportunity to deploy delegation skills (some think of that as offloading the workload) from which good results may be achieved.

Kudos to your son.

I recall some similar effect when the top rate of income tax was reduced from 90% (or was it 95%) somewhere around the end of the '60s beginning of the '70s and tax take went up when a large number of extremely wealthy tax exile (among them not a few of the new class called 'pop stars') decided to return to being UK domiciled rather than have their schedules controlled by the 90 days in the country per annum rule.

The broad concept of such tax policies seems to have been well known for some time but each new generation of politicians seem to be either ignorant of it or believes they can find new ways of pushing the envelope.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3890648)   #1061
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Clarke had that sometimes great managerial ability to be disinclined to demand micro-management control of everything for which he had responsibility.

This is seen by some as being 'lazy'.

So long as one is able to create a group of people as one's support team who have ability to do good and useful work the 'lazy' manager has an opportunity to deploy delegation skills (some think of that as offloading the workload) from which good results may be achieved.

My son went back to the Treasury a couple of years later, before being poached by Transport and then by Environment. Clarke was highly regarded almost universally by Whitehall's civil servants, which meant that he extracted the maximum from them.

Quote:
Kudos to your son.

Thank you.

Quote:
I recall some similar effect when the top rate of income tax was reduced from 90% (or was it 95%) somewhere around the end of the '60s beginning of the '70s and tax take went up when a large number of extremely wealthy tax exile (among them not a few of the new class called 'pop stars') decided to return to being UK domiciled rather than have their schedules controlled by the 90 days in the country per annum rule.

The broad concept of such tax policies seems to have been well known for some time but each new generation of politicians seem to be either ignorant of it or believes they can find new ways of pushing the envelope.

Top rate of Income Tax was 83%, but in addition to that some or very many top rate payers also had to pay a 15% "investment" tax on unearned income, such as share dividends.

What made that worse was that companies were legally forced to distribute at least 50 percent of the already taxed profits regardless of whether they wanted to retain it to re-invest in the company. This led to many companies having to complete supplementary accounts before their year end (as well as the usual year end audits) so that they could determine whether they needed to make capital expenditure before the year end. This also led to many companies not re-investing when they may well have done so.

If they were like me and my fellow directors, it made you wonder if it was worth running a successful business to just earn two pence in the pound!

As to politicians never learning from the past, they only needed to look at what happened in Hong Kong. There, they reduced all tax to just 10%, and suddenly tax receipts shot up. The Chinese, one of whose national sports is getting one over the tax authorities, suddenly found that it was costing them more to avoid paying their share of the tax burden, so they all started to just paying their dues.

There's always more ways than one to skin a cat, it's said. (What a horrible phrase that is.)
Old 15 Mar 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3890651)   #1062
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There's always more ways than one to skin a cat, it's said. (What a horrible phrase that is.)
I've got a worse version but I can't share it here.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3890654)   #1063
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
She has morals, and is honest and straight forward, during the last general election when she was on TV she tore most of the other leaders to sghreds with straight forward plain speaking honesty. . . . . she's not the only one, but MP's that do what they're elected to doin an honest and decent manner are few and far between.

Quote:
What makes you think that, Joe?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3890655)   #1064
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, she's honest, yet does not accept the referendum result? Interesting take on honesty there.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3890664)   #1065
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I don't accept a non binding opinion poll as a valid excuse for a handfull of self interested squillionaires to the F**k the country for 50 years either.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3890669)   #1066
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But it WAS binding Joe, Mr Cameron promised that. As binding as the referendum result that took us into the EEC in the first place.

Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3890671)   #1067
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Assuming you took part in the poll you must have thought it was worth having.

Nonetheless a politician who disrespects the will of the people does not in my opinion, represent an honest individual. She's not alone in this.

Max it was legally non binding, however as you say Parliament, not just the government ruled that it would accept the vote.

Yes the same was true with the poll that took us in.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3890672)   #1068
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, but it'll be alright now, they've got together & voted for an extension to the prevarication period, so the unholy cock-up will be happening later.

What could possibly go wrong?
That's if the EU allow us to defer it. When asked about our request for an extension, the Dutch PM simply said "Why? They've been going round in circles."

Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3890678)   #1069
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's if the EU allow us to defer it. When asked about our request for an extension, the Dutch PM simply said "Why? They've been going round in circles."
Yes, I’m still not convinced. To be on the safe side I’ve just replaced the EU plate on the truck with a GB version. Feel soooo much better, now.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3890680)   #1070
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, I’m still not convinced. To be on the safe side I’ve just replaced the EU plate on the truck with a GB version. Feel soooo much better, now.

And cancelled all your trips to them foreign places?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3890682)   #1071
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Why cancel trips?
Old 15 Mar 2019, 15:33 (Ref:3890719)   #1072
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I took part as I always vote, It wasn't 'worth' having, it was a bloody stupid idea.

as far as CL is concerned, over 68% of Brightonians voted remain, she is respecting the will of the vast majority of her constituents, unlike most MP's agreed. She is being honest to her constituents, herself and her party, and un like most, hasn't changed her mind or opinion to suit her own agenda whenever she felt like it. Integrity is the word, most politicians and commentators lack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Assuming you took part in the poll you must have thought it was worth having.

Nonetheless a politician who disrespects the will of the people does not in my opinion, represent an honest individual. She's not alone in this.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3890721)   #1073
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I took part as I always vote, It wasn't 'worth' having, it was a bloody stupid idea.
Why a stupid idea? Forgetting the political reasoning the fact is a majority of the voters (largest turnout in history(?)) voted to leave. Nobody to this day has actually said its a good thing to stay. All they've said, and you have too, is that voting leave is bad.

Quote:
as far as CL is concerned, over 68% of Brightonians voted remain, she is respecting the will of the vast majority of her constituents, unlike most MP's agreed. She is being honest to her constituents, herself and her party, and un like most, hasn't changed her mind or opinion to suit her own agenda whenever she felt like it. Integrity is the word, most politicians and commentators lack it.
Well she's the reason why the bins weren't being collected regularly in Brighton. And apart from that and the distinctly potty green agenda, you are correct she's recognizing the Brighton voters. Sadly though she's failing to acknowledge the majority of voters so unless she declares independence for Brighton she, and the others of her ilk should get on board.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3890723)   #1074
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And cancelled all your trips to them foreign places?
Certainly not! With GB plate, International Driving Permits, Trailer registration and Union Jack tee shirt, I’m good to go......
Old 15 Mar 2019, 16:06 (Ref:3890725)   #1075
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
To be on the safe side I’ve just replaced the EU plate on the truck with a GB version.
Do you think we'll have to change ours too. On the left, above the "F" we have twelve stars… May be next version will have some velcro. Who knows?