Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1255052)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who has changed engines?

Here is the latest thread about the new rules: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66751 (for the rights and wrongs)

However, do we know who has actually changed? There are conflicting reports. Some are saying Michael has, some haven't on the forum. I am struggling to find concrete info on this. You'd think with all the uproar there would be more about what the rule has actual done

It has been mentioned on the forum that Michael Schumacher has changed his engine, but autosport.com said not yeaterday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari spokesman
Michael will be using the same engine as he used in the first race of the season in Australia.
Crash net are also running this story.

The other candidates are:
Button, Sato, Heidfeld and Albers.

Presumably the BAR's still going ahead with the change?

I've tried the usual websites and a google news search and there is nothing concrete. Have I missed it? Or is it not reported!?

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Mar 2005 at 10:06.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1255066)   #2
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard 2 different reports about Michael Schumacher:

1. Ferrari won't change the engine because then they would need to use the same engine for 2 of the hottest races - Malaysia and Bahrain.
2. Ferrari won't change the engine because if they use the Melboune engine in Malaysia, this will give them the option of running the F2005 in Bahrain without penalty.

Given that his engine has covered less km's than most of the field, and seemed strong when the Ferrari retired, there is probably little to be gained by changing and much to lose. However, Ferrari probably feel it's in their best interest to keep people guessing whether Michael will be racing on an engine that only has to last to the end of the race, or one that has another race to go.

Is there any rule that says they have to tell anyone other than the FIA?

BAR may change - given their stated goal of winning races, this might be considered an opportunity to gain an advantage... even if only for one race.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1255083)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Acording to Planet F1, both BAR's and both Minardi's are changing engines.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_18892.shtml
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_18893.shtml

I've had a quick squint throught the team press releases but they don't mention anything about engine changes. No word on Heidfeld either.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1255084)   #4
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I found this but cant see anything on Michael yet...

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050312/13/9mca.html

hang on a bit further down they have this...

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050318/23/9r9v.html

Last edited by Cougar; 18 Mar 2005 at 10:49.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1255132)   #5
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi are using the old european engines so they would have to change them. They will not get the Cossie that the red Bulls are using till the new chassis as it does not fit. So they are probably the least likely to go 2 races at this stage.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1255139)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the practice sessions on German television...

Oh yeah. They said that Schumacher hasn't changed his engine - this is leading to speculation that Schumacher will be driving the F2005 in Bahrain.

Reason? If he had changed his engine (which he was entitled to do) for Malaysia he'd've been stuck with it for 2 races, the old engine doesn't fit in the new car.

We can therefore expect that Ferrari will possibly introduce the new car for the next race.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1255169)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Michael changes at round 2, he gets a new one at round 4 (assuming no failures before then), so he wouldn't be able to have a new one at round 5 without a penalty. Therefore, if Ferrari want to introduce the new engine in both cars at the same race, they can't take a new enigne this time. The observation that the next 2 races are likely to be hot, and would put a lot of stress on an engine, is interesting though.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1255214)   #8
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even in the press conference, Ross Brawn talked about "spare mileage" on MS car; so MS is still running with old engines. Most probabaly both he and Rubinho will be on F2005 from bahrain (if they are happy with testing next week)
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1255273)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WHat happens if all the teams change engines?
Surely they'll all get 10 place penalties so it won't make any difference anyway...
Old 18 Mar 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1255286)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
WHat happens if all the teams change engines?
Surely they'll all get 10 place penalties so it won't make any difference anyway...

Up the revolution!

Except 9 teams would all change their engines, and Ferrari wouldn't!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1255304)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari were saying during off-season that they will introduce the new car in Spain which is Round-5.... meaning they can use new engine as it is an odd numbered race....

I think this is probably the reason why they have opted to go this way...also Ferrari engines have been bullet proof over the last few years so i dont think they will be as concerned with realiability.

Last edited by ralf fan; 18 Mar 2005 at 16:32.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1255355)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari sweeping the front row, and everyone else starting right behind them with new engines, more fuel and fresher tyres, wouldn't give Ferrari an advantage, other than at Monaco and other hard-to-overtake tracks. It'd be an interesteing mass boycott if the teams find that the new engine rule doesn't work, but then they agreed to it in the first place.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1255412)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that Minardi are running new engines for next race. In the above linked article Minardi sas "We’re still using the old Cosworth engine..." That's what I remember hearing before, that they were running the same spec engine as last year! That probably means that it's impossible for them to finish two races with the same engine and that their initial plan was to "retire" and use the rules the same way Ferrari, BAR, etc. decided to use them.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1255486)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Minardi finshed the race in Melbourne,but since they will undoubtedly qualify at the back of the grid they won't mind taking a 10 place penalty for changing the engine whenever they like.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Mar 2005 at 21:13.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1255924)   #15
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Minardi finshed the race in Melbourne, ...
Friesacher may have finished the race in Melbourne, but Albers certainly didn't.
He lost seond gear just before the start, and first gear at his first pits stop.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1257198)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who did actually change engines was confirmed in the scrutineering report/ although this came out after the GP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA scruteneering report
The following drivers will start the second Event of the 2005 Formula One World Championship with a new
engine:
Number Car Driver
03 BAR Honda Jenson Button
04 BAR Honda Takuma Sato
08 Williams BMW Nick Heidfeld
21 Minardi Cosworth Christijan Albers