Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2005, 01:57 (Ref:1256420)   #51
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only been in this world since the end of '83 lol so I won't bother picking drivers that I have only read about, but Senna, Schumacher, Raikkonen and Barrichello in that order.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1256432)   #52
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Gilles Villeneuve's wet record is NOT that good, look it up. The fabled 9 seconds faster story is a crock ... there were only 5 cars that even attempted to go out in that session and none of them were serious.
From what I have read it was 8 cars that went out. Being first practice in what has been described as very horrendous conditions, with flooding in certain areas, I can only imagine that the drivers who did go out took it very seriously. Whether they were on their limit or not is questionable though.
Villeneuve did go on to win that race. In wet conditions.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Mar 2005, 04:14 (Ref:1256454)   #53
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=deeks6]5. Gilles Villeneuve's wet record is NOT that good, look it up. The fabled 9 seconds faster story is a crock ... there were only 5 cars that even attempted to go out in that session and none of them were serious.
QUOTE]

Those who were there were pretty impressed. Both drivers and journalists thought his pace that day was amazing.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1257155)   #54
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Ickx
2. Senna
3. Schumacher
4. Rindt
5. Stewart

...ish.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1257175)   #55
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall reading about GV at Watkins Glen. Yep, most of the drivers thought it ridiculous to go out in those conditions. I seem to recall a story something like: Jaques Lafitte was one who stayed in. He was talking to a journalist in the pit lane, when a set of whacking great rooster tails of water shot past on the track, accompanied by a howling flat 12. "Wow! Who was that... oh, it's Gilles... oh, it could only be Gilles" shaking head and laughing with the journo.

I hadn't thought of D Hill as a great wet driver until reminded of his success, notably Suzuka '94. Jeez, the pressure he was under in that race. I'm not a fan of Hill, but he did put in some great drives, and that one was amongst the very best. And then the win in the Jordan, which was followed by the greatest non-story of all time, when his team mate felt he had been robbed of a win, having been slower than Hill all weekend. He only caught up because Hill had slowed down.

I can't recall Alesi doing much special in the wet. I possibly did think he was good at the time, until Schuey showed us the truth. Can someone remind me why Alesi is regarded as a good wet driver? (This is a serious question, in case someone has the idea I'm flaming or whatever, which I've never done in my life).
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1257217)   #56
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Alesi that good wet driver, but he was really good in changing conditions IMO.