Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Jun 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1317074)   #1
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCC Chinese effort!

What has happened to the Chinese WTCC team? Are they now building Rover 75's?
Old 1 Jun 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1317282)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Brilliance is a different company to SAIC
Old 2 Jun 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1317744)   #3
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliance are meeting with F.I.A., Eurosport, Menard and K.S.O. next week in China to jump start the program. Hopefully they will develop and race their new car.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1317766)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An article from Autosport suggested that the China program is still indeed in the work however the car will not be ready to race until 2006.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1317815)   #5
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they have step on foodwork from Skoda
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1317821)   #6
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC
An article from Autosport suggested that the China program is still indeed in the work however the car will not be ready to race until 2006.
Correct. If contracts are finally signed, Menard will engeneer, develop the new car and test it. If competitive, it should race in 2006 with a European and a Chinese driver. It remains to be seen which team will run the cars, since Menard will only work on engineering and development, but will not take the cars to the track.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1317915)   #7
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that John Batchelor is still managing the overall project on behalf of Brilliance, and that it was JB who brought Menard on board - or am I wrong?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1318598)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC
Anyone want to place bets on Brilliance appearing next year? I'm not sure if gambling is allowed on this BB??

10% chance or 10 to 1 odds of it appearing??
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1318820)   #9
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
More like 100/1. It won't happen. As I said back in September 04 when it was announced.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1318852)   #10
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess only time will tell if the Brilliance deal materialises or not...but I'm certain that China is getting very keen on promoting its motorsport...
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1321611)   #11
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The whole Brilliance deal has every hallmark of a fresh new source of cash being as rigorously hoovered dry as every other naive newcomer...

From the off, they seem to have been in trouble - what with their first choice of development partner...

As for the cars appearing, I think 2006 mught be optimistic...

If RML is struggling to make the Chevy deal work, imagine that, multiplied by the relative lack of knowledge of what is needed on the Chinese side, factor in the distances involved, squared it by the probable un-suitability of the base unit (just what IS it based on?? A Morris Major?? Daimler Conquest?? Citroen Visa??? Who knows????)

And so on and so on....

ZZZZZZZ

Hope that Honda manages to extract some digits and join in properly instead - that Accord Euro R looks quite handy... and it might persuade Nissan to look twice at a suitable Primera
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1321649)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Doesnt Brilliance now have some sort of connection with BMW? Maybe there is bits of BMW DNA under the skin? Just like the Skoda from a few years ago, I doubt we will ever see it race
Old 6 Jun 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1321687)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Doesnt Brilliance now have some sort of connection with BMW? Maybe there is bits of BMW DNA under the skin? Just like the Skoda from a few years ago, I doubt we will ever see it race
The current Brilliance car (the car which they planned to enter WTCC) was based on a BMW with a Mitsubishi engine. I think the new car is a totally Chinese design.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1321725)   #14
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
There was talk of a British young gun having the second drive. Since the Vic Lee saga all has gone quiet! Hopefully John B&Q will prove you all wrong when the car hits the tracks.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1321727)   #15
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
The whole Brilliance deal has every hallmark of a fresh new source of cash being as rigorously hoovered dry as every other naive newcomer...

From the off, they seem to have been in trouble - what with their first choice of development partner...

As for the cars appearing, I think 2006 mught be optimistic...

If RML is struggling to make the Chevy deal work, imagine that, multiplied by the relative lack of knowledge of what is needed on the Chinese side, factor in the distances involved, squared it by the probable un-suitability of the base unit (just what IS it based on?? A Morris Major?? Daimler Conquest?? Citroen Visa??? Who knows????)

And so on and so on....

ZZZZZZZ

Hope that Honda manages to extract some digits and join in properly instead - that Accord Euro R looks quite handy... and it might persuade Nissan to look twice at a suitable Primera
Do you work for Eurosport?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1321746)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 17 Jun 2005, 04:57 (Ref:1331262)   #17
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This month a Chinese auto magazine asked the Zhonghua company's vice president what's happening with the WTCC project and he didn't seem to have much clue either...

But he said he was certain the project will happen eventually.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1338079)   #18
+ its a Chevy
Rookie

England
London
+ its a Chevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression tha RML were on par with the Chevy team in so much as they weren't expecting nor stating that they were going to be near winning or podium finishing. The car is a totally new set up and as such will take at least a season to get anywhere near those BMW,s Seat,s and Alfa's that have a tried and tested formula. I think the test will come next season when they have some development time and data under their belts....
Old 24 Jun 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1339514)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
This month a Chinese auto magazine asked the Zhonghua company's vice president what's happening with the WTCC project and he didn't seem to have much clue either...

But he said he was certain the project will happen eventually.
You would think he would be able to say the cars are currently being developed and ready for a '06 race debut.

OTOH, perhaps the chairman doesn't want to make a fool of himself like what MG did in announcing a DTM deal, but having to pull out later.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1342813)   #20
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think MG 'made' a fool out of themselves. They were 'forced' to step out of it.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1343443)   #21
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey-Lee
I don't think MG 'made' a fool out of themselves. They were 'forced' to step out of it.
I love the DTM and would like to see more cars/variety, but should a company undergoing financial difficulty be getting involved in such a big undertaking considering the difficult times?

Tags
wtcc