Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2287421)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will there even be a manufacturers championship next year if Vauxhall are the sole participants ?

Badly need BMW and Honda to register as manufacturers ! (they have plenty of cars to nominate out there)
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2287423)   #27
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Northern South running SEATs with Holliday Inn and additional sponsors with Plato driving and SEAT UK paying his salary?

I'm not sure if the Holiday Inn is a straight cash deal or one of these free hotel rooms for the graphics on your car deal.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2287425)   #28
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I'm not sure if the Holiday Inn is a straight cash deal or one of these free hotel rooms for the graphics on your car deal.
Umm I heard it was a contra deal for accomodation etc so no actual cash value.

Good point about the manufactuers championship as it can't happen with just VX, Gow needs to work his magic again.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2287453)   #29
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
OMG, this has caught everyone out, Seat are not the lifeline of the BTCC but there absence as a works team will question other manufactuers partcipating. Indie teams are fine if they are in it for the right reasons rather than a jolly out on a Sunday afternoon due to having money to burn.

Dan Eaves and Co are running two Leons next year which does fill a void however you would hope someone picks up the TDi's

I do wonder if the fact Northern South and Plato have failed to take the title has been a reason for this decision.

As for Plato, Vauxhall won't take him and thats the only paying team (exception Turkington with WSR/RAC). If anything they may go back to two cars dropping Neal and retaining OC who pays for the drive with GIO

Neal back to Honda, Chilton to WSR replacing Jelley
IF SEAT decide not to continue in the WTCC the Leons will not be a sound investment for CVR or anyone else as SEAT will not be doing any development on them.

As for Plato. Motorbase are looking at running a third car next year!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2287456)   #30
Icebaby
Veteran

I cant see Seat backing out of the WTCC but anything is possible now, As for the third car rumour on Motorbase unfortunatly you could apply this to all the other two car teams hopeful this may happen
Old 11 Sep 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2287541)   #31
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx
How is this a bad thing?

Nothing stopping people running Seats in the series. Just cause the works team is gone, doesn't mean the series will die. A heathy series is based on the indy teams, not the works teams.
not necessaily. I remember there being an issue a while back about people not wanting to use the Toledo as you would have to lease the engine from SEAT Sport. Not sure if that is the case now...

...but yes, I suppose Northern South could run a SEAT for Potato
Old 11 Sep 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2287546)   #32
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, there are rumours of a new manufacturer for next year anyway.

Plato's contract would be voided by basically his employer disappearing. I don't think Plato fancies a WTCC stab, I think he knows he's not at that standard.

BTCC is where he said he wants to stay - his salary demand is a bit high. If this new manufacturer is true, expect him there - Plato's experience was invaluable on SEAT's debut. If not, if RAC stomp up the cash he could be at WSR. I wouldn't rule out a Vauxhall return if there's a seat spare.

Manufacturers championship is pointless if there's one manufacturer - the 'teams' championship would replace it.

Turner, well, touring cars hasn't gone well for him. I'd expect him to retract to sportscars, but I like the idea of him trying the WTCC.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2287565)   #33
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
not necessaily. I remember there being an issue a while back about people not wanting to use the Toledo as you would have to lease the engine from SEAT Sport. Not sure if that is the case now...

...but yes, I suppose Northern South could run a SEAT for Potato
It is still the case, and if you would want to open the engine. You would either have to send it to Spain or have a Seat Sport engineer present.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2287570)   #34
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
I spoke with an insider earlier today, and he said that he thought that Seat is still waiting for the response. Basically he was convinced, that it was a question of weight penalties of the diesel Leons and pressure of the same from BMW.

(Sorry if it has been discussed before )
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2287584)   #35
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I don't think Plato fancies a WTCC stab, I think he knows he's not at that standard.
Not really anywhere for him to go..

With SEAT, BMW and Chevrolet yet to decide their WTCC plans for 2009.

Word is at least one will not be there next season!

And there will be a surplus of Ex-BTCC champions looking for a drive!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2287615)   #36
gregw
Rookie

gregw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70477

Turner looking at sportscar racing. Would be great to see him in ALMS in the Drayson-Barwell Aston with Johnny Cocker (who is very quick), he's been contracted to Prodrive for a while, since when they ran Ferrari 550s I think.
Unlikely. Lord Drayson pays the bills. Having put his political career on hold it's unlikely he would revert to the role of team manager.

The team have put a lot of money, development time and about 12 engines in to the car for AM/Prodrive. I can't see Drason stepping down just as they are starting to sort the car out.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2287634)   #37
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Woohoo! No more SEAT! No more Diseasels!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2287671)   #38
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Woohoo! No more SEAT! No more Diseasels!
Show some respect, and grow up.

They did what they had to do withing the regs. You really cant blame them.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 04:54 (Ref:2287737)   #39
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Show some respect, and grow up.

I've expressed my hatred for diesels in the past, and I will continue as long as I live.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2287764)   #40
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Seat are not going to support the Cupra Cup then that leaves a lot of cars with a lower value than probably envisaged. What happens to them? Probably end up in the likes of the Le Mans EuroSaloon series or the production classes of Britcar, I guess.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2287765)   #41
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I've expressed my hatred for diesels in the past, and I will continue as long as I live.

Yes it's fantastic that the removal of the filthy stinking diesels have taken two works cars away from our national championship!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 06:48 (Ref:2287785)   #42
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect to see plato in a leon run by northern south next year just not works funded.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2287787)   #43
Icebaby
Veteran

They still need a major sponser to pull this off and there in short supply unless Seat are to cut a deal.

Team RAC is not an option as they will again need a paying driver in the second car, Andy Neate a possible this time although I still think Chilton's in with a chance with his cash if Neal returns to Dynamics.

I would rule nothing out, maybe MG will come back with Reid....
Old 12 Sep 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2287808)   #44
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
And there will be a surplus of Ex-BTCC champions looking for a drive!

That's Seat then? In which case the BTCC team have no option but to stop as there would be no development or support from Spain.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2287826)   #45
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
They didn't have to use diesel. In doing so, they have changed the way people view BTCC. I regularly hear people say 'it's gone boring since the diesels have their unfair advantage'. While it is sad to see any team leave the series, it will be good to hopefully see the end of diesel.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2287831)   #46
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Which is rather pathetic I got to give you some credit for the term 'diseasel' though, it did make me laugh even though I disagree on you
Old 12 Sep 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2287847)   #47
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep it to the SEAT withdrawal guys, and not to who dislikes diesel or not
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2287876)   #48
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
That's Seat then? In which case the BTCC team have no option but to stop as there would be no development or support from Spain.
Alain Menu is a former BTCC champion. He is in a Chevvy!

With SEAT going, it just shows that nothing is certain in racing.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2287878)   #49
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alan Gow speaks on the matter:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2686
Old 12 Sep 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2287907)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't post in here very often, although I do read the forum. I'm afraid this is a direct consequence of making championships manufacturer based. I fully expect to see many more situations like this due the the economic downturn.

It may be time to re write the regs in order to make it more privateer friendly and less mega bucks technology orientated. Otherwise, what is to me a dying category, will really go the way of the dodo.