Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Sep 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2295062)   #26
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccRob08
lol..to be honest I think Ted's quite good. His sarky comments make me laugh. His little comment about Jonathan Adam's trophy for example. He does treat it as a bit of a laugh, but this isnt all bad. You can tell he's only doing it for the money though and would much rather be abroad presenting F1.
There is a reason why he doesn't anchor the F1 coverage, he does not have the character to host anything. He tries to be funny and fails, and his interviewing technique is rude to say the least. If ITV are serious about showing the BTCC, they could at least find a better presenter, who actually knows something about the championship. Ted doesn't have a clue.

The races were pretty dull yesterday, I don't think having two rounds at Brands Indy is the best of ideas.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2295065)   #27
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
I noticed that all the car carried small rectangular strips this weekend (or at least yesterday).

see :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272832@N05/2873903906/

any idea what they are??? most are body coloured and located between the doors, but the Motorbase BMW had it on their rear bumper.

Thoughts? Some sort of tracking device?
They are RFID tags.
At the entrance to the pit lane there's a device which reads the tag as the car passes it, and simultaneously scans the barcodes on the tyres.

It's to check that the car has the correct set of tyres on, and not tyres allocated for a different car or different meeting.

The technology has been trialled in the BTCC this season, with the first version making its debut at Thruxton, and the latest version at Silverstone and Brands.

It will eventually be rolled out in other FIA championships, including F1.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2295201)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Completely agree that the red flag should have been thrown for George's crash, even if the safety crew were immediately sure that John was okay. The barrier could have served as a launch pad. I dread to imagine the outcome if Jones' car had left the ground - it's no exaggeration to say that we were inches away from a fatal crash there. The need to stick to a TV schedule is undoubtedly the cause of a lot of questionable safety decisions. Similarly, a red flag probably should've been thrown straight after the cars went off on oil, to allow the result to be taken back a lap - it was mightily unfair on the guys who went off, especially as there didn't seem to be any yellows.

It wasn't a classic weekend really, except for BMW fans. SEAT went out with a whimper.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2295248)   #29
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Chilton in his post interview race (when he was sky high!) did say he saw the red/yellow slippery surface flag so he backed off at Paddock, then saw TOC go off in his mirrors.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2295312)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
2) Was this the first ever all independent podium? Off the top of my head I can't recall it happening before.
In 2006, on a number of occasions, independents took all three podium spots. The most notable was Knockhill, R3. Team Halfords 1,2,3. Neal, Shedden, Howell.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2295450)   #31
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree the reds should have flown after that shunt. With Armco damage (12 posts were damaged), a car on its side in the middle of the circuit plus debris that is a stop in my book. TOCA race control should be ashamed of themselves for putting more lives in danger by not allowing Brands maintenance to repair the armco before racing resumed. Live TV does seem to control Race Control and affecting safety. Safet must come first before anything else
Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2295524)   #32
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt see the race, but so happy for Tom Chilton!

Well done!
Old 22 Sep 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2295533)   #33
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, but this "racing back to the line" when a Safety Car is on track is utter nonsense.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2295562)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
In 2006, on a number of occasions, independents took all three podium spots. The most notable was Knockhill, R3. Team Halfords 1,2,3. Neal, Shedden, Howell.
Thanks. I'd forgotten that Halfords were still eligible as independents then.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2295564)   #35
Antoine
Rookie

England
Witham, Essex
Antoine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree that the red flags should have flown and with Sodemo's post.
Was on the Druids bank and the top five or so cars were still going full pelt down Cooper Straight with marshals trying frantically to slow them down with John's car in the middle of the road.
It does not matter how long the repairs would have taken, safety of the drivers, marshals and crowd is paramount.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2295595)   #36
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it does not bear thinking about if someone had hit Johns car stationary in the track.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2295631)   #37
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
I thought the racing was bland really but i am sure a great atmosphere there, Seats looked like they couldn't be bothered and Plato lacked any of the usual fighting spirit.

Good to see Turkington retain his crown as per Gio, Georges crash was dreadful and whilst he proberbly caused this himself to see a privateer writing his car off is not good but at least Johns ok.

Ted Kravitz was again awful in his presentation and saw it more as a joke in some of his commets and statments to drivers, unprofessional unlike Steve Rider.

Chilton took a win but really does not compensate for a woeful season from him.
After watching the video several times, I can't see how it was goeorge's fault. He holds his line, Turner moves right to left and tags him.

Was Turner still ****ed after being run wide at Druids?

Talk about woeful seasons, for the life of me I can't see how Turner kept his seat (or SEAT!)
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2295658)   #38
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Sorry, but this "racing back to the line" when a Safety Car is on track is utter nonsense.
Despite two yellow flags and marshals on the track btcc drivers still seem to fail to slow down.....

Driving standards were really pathetic, i lost count of how many times the kerb at graham hill had to be repaired throughout the day due to clios etc. driving other it lap after lap.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2295707)   #39
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST
After watching the video several times, I can't see how it was goeorge's fault. He holds his line, Turner moves right to left and tags him.

Was Turner still ****ed after being run wide at Druids?

Talk about woeful seasons, for the life of me I can't see how Turner kept his seat (or SEAT!)
Turner maintained the same line. George moved left and then right.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2295712)   #40
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John George is one very lucky man. That was one hell of a shunt. Strange that they could continue to race when I have been at meetings that were abandoned when barrier damage like that has been sustained . The barriers were shown during the live transmission but not shown on any repeats. Shame on you TOCA.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 06:33 (Ref:2295809)   #41
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!

Jeez, that engine sits FAR back.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2295858)   #42
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course its far back, a car just landed on top of it

Jokes aside, the car has a short nose already and the fact that it nailed the guardrail won't help either.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2296484)   #43
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
I have to agree the reds should have flown after that shunt. With Armco damage (12 posts were damaged), a car on its side in the middle of the circuit plus debris that is a stop in my book. TOCA race control should be ashamed of themselves for putting more lives in danger by not allowing Brands maintenance to repair the armco before racing resumed. Live TV does seem to control Race Control and affecting safety. Safet must come first before anything else
There seems to be some massive conspiracy theory here that some TV producer is running race control.

The people in race control at BTCC meetings, such as Dennis Carter and Bob Kettleboro are among the most experienced race officials in the UK. They regularly work on major international events, and overseas motorsport federations call on them to train race officials around the world.

There is certainly nobody on this forum who is more qualified or experienced in that aspect of motorsport.

So if they decide to deal with an incident with a safety car rather than with a red flag, then we have to accept their judgement on that.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2296679)   #44
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
So if they decide to deal with an incident with a safety car rather than with a red flag, then we have to accept their judgement on that.
No we don't. Its called 'free speech'
Old 24 Sep 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2296712)   #45
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Didnt see the race, but so happy for Tom Chilton!
I did see the race and am very happy for Tom, the start was certainly a Sonic one from him!

Glad to hear that John George is okay but for a few bruises, could have been a lot worse.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2296976)   #46
Helmpflicht99
Rookie

Germany
near Bremen
Helmpflicht99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many spectators were in Brans Hatch ???

Congratulations to Giovarnardi !!!
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2297881)   #47
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
There seems to be some massive conspiracy theory here that some TV producer is running race control.

The people in race control at BTCC meetings, such as Dennis Carter and Bob Kettleboro are among the most experienced race officials in the UK. They regularly work on major international events, and overseas motorsport federations call on them to train race officials around the world.

There is certainly nobody on this forum who is more qualified or experienced in that aspect of motorsport.

I am sorry but that race should have been stopped. If I had been the Observer on Post 9 I would have been screaming for red flags. The Armco had 12 posts broken, a car on its side in the middle of the track and debris all over the place. I know that the Observer called for a stop but WAS REFUSED. The meeting should have been halted until the armco was repaired because it was UNSAFE and put more lives at risk.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2298151)   #48
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
congratulations for Fabrizio scoring in all races, but bad luck always followed the Seat team, the real winner for me is Mat Jackson, what a fantastic season whith his privateer BMW
Old 26 Sep 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2298169)   #49
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think luck has come into it. The car is reliable in WTCC, so it must have been something in Northern South's preparation. The better driver and team probably beat the better car this year.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2298184)   #50
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't think luck has come into it. The car is reliable in WTCC, so it must have been something in Northern South's preparation. The better driver and team probably beat the better car this year.
That depends, if NS got the ex-WTCC cars from last year that could explain a lot. Because Mullers car wasn't exactly reliable in '07 either.