Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jan 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1819784)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The ALMS is relying on Europeans for new entries and that extra excitment, e.g Laguna, PLM and Sebring.

'I wonder just what those classes in the LMS would look like if the two MONSTERS involved, and dominating for quite some time now, were to have been there? At the same level of competitiveness and dominance!!'

I don't believe Audi and Corvette would have dominated as much in Europe. Dyson threw away so many race wins it was untrues, the R8 was beatable for it's last 3 full seasons. With Corvette it's a little different as they are the only true works team in GT1, every other manufactuer seems content to sell customer cars and not run a factory team, still, I firmly believe the likes of Oreca, Labre etc. would have taken greater advantage of the performaces breaks handed to the likes of Acemco.

In Europe there tends to be plenty of wealthy team owners/drivers who race in the LMS/FIA GT for the hell of it, in the US they seem to be attracted to Grand Am and Historics.

I once believed there was no longer an appitite for sportscar racing in the US, but then Grand Am came along, attracted a number of big guns, and plenty of privateers.

It's been established costs between the two series are not too dissimilar, while the smaller DP teams have as much chance of winning overall as they would going up against Audi.

IMO somethings very wrong with the ALMS, they attract factory entrants but privateers are thin on the ground.

For a series that boasts such, apparently, good TV/media coverage why are so many programs from the likes of Creation and Zytek failing to attract the required budget?

Last edited by JAG; 19 Jan 2007 at 21:47.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1819795)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
'I wonder just what those classes in the LMS would look like if the two MONSTERS involved, and dominating for quite some time now, were to have been there? At the same level of competitiveness and dominance!!'
Probably next year we know
Old 19 Jan 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1819861)   #28
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
For a series that boasts such, apparently, good TV/media coverage why are so many programs from the likes of Creation and Zytek failing to attract the required budget?
Maybe an American Marketing and PR company is in order.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1820713)   #29
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I once believed there was no longer an appitite for sportscar racing in the US, but then Grand Am came along, attracted a number of big guns, and plenty of privateers.
GARRA is in no way even remotely related to sportscar racing in the US as it was once known.
It is the France boys bringing over some NASCAR money, putting up fairly good prize money for the "big" race that was one the LeMans of the US.
Beyond that it is nearly unknown.

Quote:
IMO somethings very wrong with the ALMS, they attract factory entrants but privateers are thin on the ground.
I would bet, a lot, that the money that Audi and Chevrolet, spend on engine developement to overcome the horrid engine rules, is enough, that they could buy every privateer team, on the grid, and still have more than half of their budget left.
Until the rules change, it will never get better.

In GT1, if the factory Chevy boys left, and Penske suddenly felt a longing to run a Chevy again, I would again bet that it would continue to be a one horse race.
The more rules there are, the more it costs to win, and those who have the money will win.
Bob
Old 21 Jan 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1820778)   #30
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
The more rules there are, the more it costs to win, and those who have the money will win.
Bob
Doesn't the same thing apply still when you've got less rules? The more freedom you give manufacturers to throw money and technology at the pursuit of going faster, the more they will- CanAm, Group B rallying, 90's GT1 etc....
Old 21 Jan 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1820785)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a change of rules that has done its best to minimise this problem, although as KA hints that it needed to, it didn't go towards more freedom, it went more restrictive; Grand Am.

Not that ALMS should go that way, it isn't its philosophy. However I don't think we should think that more freedom is the answer to this problem.

Having said that I'm all for more freedom!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1820888)   #32
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Doesn't the same thing apply still when you've got less rules? The more freedom you give manufacturers to throw money and technology at the pursuit of going faster, the more they will- CanAm, Group B rallying, 90's GT1 etc....
Exactly, it cuts both ways. Either way the biggest cheque book wins. Rules can at least try and limit this, though not very successfully.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1821176)   #33
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The difference is, when class rules are determined by minimums, and maximums, not with equalization specs, any team can try to find an edge or a best approach within the boundrys.
Choice is free.
As is; choice is not free, and only those who can spend the money to overcome the equalization specs. have even half a chance; assuming they are not penalized for winning.
Ask Saleen.

The Can-Am is a poor analogy, but even it had large fields; whilst the nineties GT1 was during the start of the big brother regulations. The more rules big brother passed to fix things, the more people went away, as each rule cost more dollars, and failure to toe the proper line, meant you could not play.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1821197)   #34
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what the rules are, teams with the most resorces, money, R&D, Technical partners, WILL find a way to be faster anyway no matter what performance balancing is imposed.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1821263)   #35
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No matter what the rules are, teams with the most resorces, money, R&D, Technical partners, WILL find a way to be faster anyway no matter what performance balancing is imposed.
I do not agree,many of the big names still stay away 'cause making a car for the current ( silly) regulations is hardly interesting moneywise.
For instance Porsche has enough resources but choose to stay away from entering the bigguns arena,simply because of inconsistent and unfair techrules...
Old 21 Jan 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1821269)   #36
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
I do not agree,many of the big names still stay away 'cause making a car for the current ( silly) regulations is hardly interesting moneywise.
For instance Porsche has enough resources but choose to stay away from entering the bigguns arena,simply because of inconsistent and unfair techrules...
and is they why Porsche has sooo many customer teams which they supply technical and other factory support??

I though Porsche had GT2 and LMP2 cars?? Isn't that "big gun" racing??
Old 22 Jan 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1821615)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon the only reason Porsche is staying away from the big guns is because the petrol-diesel rules do not suit at the minute .

Im sure they will be back when the ACO sort out their crap !!!
Old 22 Jan 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1821798)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I reckon the only reason Porsche is staying away from the big guns is because the petrol-diesel rules do not suit at the minute .
Before 2006 there were only petrol engines. Why didn't enter Porsche?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1821917)   #39
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Probably something to do with their competitions chief , i would think .

They were interested , even built a car . Sadly it never saw the light of day , only at Weissach .

There has been rumour about Porsche showing interest in LMP1 again . I reckon its only a matter of time before they return and show the likes of Audi and Peugeot how its done . Maybe a very hard statement but , I honestly believe that there is nobody better at Le Mans than Porsche ... imo .

Last edited by The Badger; 22 Jan 2007 at 18:07.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 05:15 (Ref:1824333)   #40
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
"Again, the problem is choice" - The Architect

Why is there a Grand Am anyway? Its there because though in a perfect world you should be able to do whatever you want, the COMMON good is there for to be only ONE series and you shouldn't have to ride on a phone companies coat tails to drive fans to watch your show.

The fans have SPOKEN, but NASCAR has choosen not to listen and continues to pump money into the series and use its connections to generate "excitement".

Fans are at fault because we love the "underdog" in this country and the "little" guy should be given a chance at ever turn. The Grand Am is all about the "little" guy having a chance, but that just isn't true... Cream rises and the best "funded" teams STILL win, period. If the equipement is the same, then you'll employ superior driving talent.

Fans are the problem here because they are so desperate to see road racing, they don't know how to turn off the Grand Am series when it comes on and goes "Gee, its road racing, let me watch it..."

Its manufactured road racing...

Grand Am has its chance but they pulled the rug out from under Boris Said and the Ferrari of Washington teams in the early days and I haven't been back. Its not their fault they bought superior cars, teams or drivers to the table, Grand Am should have just let them be competitive and waited until next year to outlaw the cars, they did ANYWAY.

Why is everybody wasting bandwith with silly comments and post that go nowhere and aren't even remotely FUNNY? GM will not race the Corvette vs the Audi R10 and I fail to the humor in even its suggestion. Those that have suggested it must be a laugh/riot during Christmas Parties, that comes from the TOUNGE FIRMLY IMPLANTED IN CHEEK dept... I seriously DOUBT your even remotely FUNNY. Maybe if your arse was on Fire? I know I would be laughing...

I seriously doubt Corvette will racing themselves and LMSR has reported the Acemco transporter being spotted in the paddock at Sebring...

Also LMP1 shouldn't be totally boring, at least one privateer will get on the podium and I doubt Autocon will be that team most of the time, the Dyson Lolas should find a suitable home and be raced and I wouldn't count out anybody else until the green flag drops at Sebring.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1824528)   #41
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

At last! Someone has mentioned Corvette again!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1824917)   #42
The Badger
Veteran

Where can I get some detailed pics of the C5R cockpit , cheers ?
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1824990)   #43
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Where can I get some detailed pics of the C5R cockpit , cheers ?
There are a few here or the C6R cockpit Pratt & Miller and Corvette Racing

Last edited by AU N EGL; 24 Jan 2007 at 19:18.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1824998)   #44
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Looking for signs of anything illegal?
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1825004)   #45
The Badger
Veteran

Illegal ..... !!!
Na , just need good pics for a 1/24 C5R model that Im going to do . Got any taken from the side window inside and from the l/h cockpit floor ? And the back of the seat ?

Thanks , nice pics
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:38 (Ref:1825011)   #46
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Sounds good. Is it a kit? I was thinking of getting a Carrera 1/32 slot car version, but it appears to lack the aggressive stance of the full-size car, judging by the photos I've seen. I wanted some competition for my Scalextric Aston!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1825031)   #47
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Sounds good. Is it a kit? I was thinking of getting a Carrera 1/32 slot car version, but it appears to lack the aggressive stance of the full-size car, judging by the photos I've seen. I wanted some competition for my Scalextric Aston!
Its a Revell 1/24 scale C5R with a photo etch and extra detail add on . Should look great but there is an awful lot that you can see through the window . Thats why in looking for good shots of the cockpit area .

Thanks again for the pics ,

Last edited by The Badger; 24 Jan 2007 at 20:05.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1825099)   #48
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Illegal ..... !!!
Na , just need good pics for a 1/24 C5R model that Im going to do . Got any taken from the side window inside and from the l/h cockpit floor ? And the back of the seat ?

Thanks , nice pics
You mean Righ hand cockpit floor. There are two computers and the fire bottle there

Back of the seat is the fuel cell, seconday fire wall between the cockpit, fuel cell, x-trac trans, transsmission and Diff coolers.

I have a 1/24 scale die-cast model of a C5R I will see if I can get some digital pics
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1825125)   #49
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its a Revell 1/24 scale C5R with a photo etch and extra detail add on . Should look great but there is an awful lot that you can see through the window . Thats why in looking for good shots of the cockpit area .

Thanks again for the pics ,

Don't know that this is much help? But you might find it somewhat useful!
http://gpma.org/Archive/msc5r.html

L.P.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1825133)   #50
The Badger
Veteran

Your de man !!!
Thank you