Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 2 May 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1291665)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thruxton Kart circuit

Hey guys, I was just wondering who's ever driven if they had at Thruxton kart circuit?
When I was at the BTCC race yesterday I was walking back to the circuit when I noticed down the hill side is a kart circuit, not very long but looked quite good.
Has anyone ever driven there?
Old 2 May 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1291666)   #2
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
i have

its over 1000 meters long and lap times in a pro-kart are around 57 seconds i won the first ever pro kart championship there
Old 2 May 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1291678)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P-E
i have

its over 1000 meters long and lap times in a pro-kart are around 57 seconds i won the first ever pro kart championship there
It's a nice circuit, although it's in a smallish area in a drop, it has some nice sweeps and turns. I would love to have a drive around there one day.
It looked a bit tricky to start of with, did you find it difficult to learn?
Old 3 May 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1291768)   #4
Jamie P-E
Racer

i wouldnt say difficult more awkward as there are around 14 turns so u have to remember where all the breaking points are etc. its my favourite track and it good for fitness in a way as u need to beed fairly strong! i had to drive for over 2 hours on my own each round and it was tough
Old 3 May 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1292237)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what ive seen it looked a good little circuit, nice and undulation. Totally different to the car circuit though, would have though the gearing for a Rotax would be very high as there dosent look to really be any long straights
Old 3 May 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1292245)   #6
Jamie P-E
Racer

its not ideal for a rotax as the straights are not long enough
it i have driven a junior max round there and to be honest it was not much fun
Old 3 May 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1292269)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have thought a TKM would be good, lots of lower end grunt, Rotax's have the ****test pull in the lower revs until you get to the mid speed corners. Shame. Still looks fun tod rive though, with the bridge and tunnel
Old 5 May 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1293713)   #8
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never been to the kart circuit there. Might visit it this year when I'm racing at the full track (ooh the joys of long circuit karting )
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1982462)   #9
Adie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Adie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton Karting

Heading up there on Wednesday for a work bash.

Anyone got any hints (My Uber competetive side demands I finish at least on the podium)
Old 7 Aug 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1983162)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not personally raced there but its 4 strokes only so the one thing you have to do is keep your momentum up - no sliding around or else you will lose precious speed.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1983281)   #11
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adie
Heading up there on Wednesday for a work bash.

Anyone got any hints (My Uber competetive side demands I finish at least on the podium)
Get there early, walk the course (with permission, of course) - and bribe the officials!!!!!!!!
Old 8 Aug 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1983960)   #12
Adie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheers guys - keeping your speed up is always a must!!

Steve - you probably don't remember me but I used to work at Abbey life a few years ago and got chatting to you one night when the team were bowling (This was after your accident).

I saw you at the BTCC meet back in May but didn't get the chance to come and say hello.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1984232)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adie
Cheers guys - keeping your speed up is always a must!!

Steve - you probably don't remember me but I used to work at Abbey life a few years ago and got chatting to you one night when the team were bowling (This was after your accident).

I saw you at the BTCC meet back in May but didn't get the chance to come and say hello.
Well - now you know where to find me, come over and see me when the BTCC returns to Thruxton in October!!!!! I'll be there .....................
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1984776)   #14
Adie
Rookie

United Kingdom
3rd in the end and 3 hundreths of a second behind 2nd after the final (ran out of laps - but a great battle!!) What a track - SO quick!

Steve - I'm planning on being at the BTCC event again in October - If I get chance to pop into the paddock again I will do.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1984821)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adie, ready to come and race with us now then??
Old 9 Aug 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1984840)   #16
Adie
Rookie

United Kingdom
I'd love too - I've had unforseen financial blows recently though.

The joys of owning your own property.

When are you next racing? If the offer of a chat still stands, I'd love to come on down.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1984984)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Come down by all means - next race last Sunday in the month I think. I might be up there testing this Sunday too.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2780780)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I have not personally raced there but its 4 strokes only so the one thing you have to do is keep your momentum up - no sliding around or else you will lose precious speed.
Having been there a couple of times with my own kart and using their excellent Thunderkarts I have to say its the best arrive n drive in the Wilts/Hants/Dorset area by a mile - the tracks superb, possibly even better than Clay and the facilities were very good too. I'm seriously contemplating having a go at one of their individual endurance events, which at £75 seems not bad value - its just the throwing up 'cos Im so unfit at the end that bothers me...
Old 27 Nov 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2796256)   #19
Mej
Rookie

Taiwan
Mej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i should really get up there and have a crack as im not too far away. Clay is probably the best track i have been to so i would like to check this one out.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 01:08 (Ref:2796262)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Clay is probably the better in terms of the racing that goes on there, being home to one of the best Clubs and also having visits from Super1, F6, EKC, Club 100, RAF MSA et al, and is indeed a super track with a couple of blinding corners, but Thruxton as a track is stupendous, its a shame they only host arrive n drive and EKC. I highly recommend a blast around there though, the Thunderkarts are really fun, very torquey.