Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 31 May 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1315996)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will The IRL Now Gain Some Momentum?

The reaction to this years Indy 500 has been truly remarkable, by both race fans and non fans alike. The ratings were up some 40% over last years race and the ratings went from 4.1 to 6.7. The results were front page news, and it was the lead story on many news programs. Phenomenal stuff! Of course, much of this was due to Danicas story, which is not a bad thing. IndyCar racing has needed a shot in the arm for a long time now, and we finally got it. We finally got some real visibility.

So here are my questions -

1 - can the IRL now build upon the huge success of this years Indy 500, or was this a one-time phenomenom?

2 - Has the IRL made some new fans?

3 - Have we finally stolen the thunder and grabbed some fans from NASCAR, which will be essential to growing IndyCar racing?

4 - To some of the first time posters that have visited here for the first time since the 500, and perhaps seen IndyCar racing for the first time, will you stick around for more?

I hope the answer's are all yes, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Danica Patrick
Old 31 May 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1316030)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
1 - can the IRL now build upon the huge success of this years Indy 500, or was this a one-time phenomenom?
I guess that's up to ABC and ESPN.

Quote:
2 - Has the IRL made some new fans?
Surely.

Quote:
3 - Have we finally stolen the thunder and grabbed some fans from NASCAR, which will be essential to growing IndyCar racing?
Not likely. Once NASCAR, always NASCAR.

Quote:
4 - To some of the first time posters that have visited here for the first time since the 500, and perhaps seen IndyCar racing for the first time, will you stick around for more?
Let's hope so.
Old 31 May 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1316031)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Might as well be a realist - a lot will depend on whether or not Danica can keep producing top finishes like she now has done at Motegi and Indianapolis.

2. Definitely.

3. I doubt there have been a lot of stock car fans converted to IndyCar, but I definitely think there are quite a few who now might follow IndyCar as well as NASCAR.

4. -
Old 31 May 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1316057)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be interesting to know why sopme of the first-time viewers tuned in. Was it purely the Danika effect? If so, her future results (and the publicicty they attract) are crucial in keeping those new fans. Hopefuly though, anyone who did watch purely for the novelty of a woman racing at the front will have liked the close, fast and thrilling racing they saw, and are hooked because of that. Buddy Lazier's success will ahve probabyl tapped into the US psyché as well - it'd be tremendous if he can stick around. NASCAR can't come close to it without being ludicrously artifical, and I hope that fact isn't lost on first-timers. The whole thing was certainly a great advert for open-wheel racing.
Old 31 May 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1316236)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been a been real supporter of open wheel oval racing, especially in the IRL guise and I generally skip the Champ Car oval races aswell. I watch the occasional highlights and the 500 when I can but it's never anything other than a very slight passing interest for me.

Now the problem I face is that last weekend changed my view entirely, I haven't seen such a tense and dramatic race for YEARS on any type of track so I'll certainly be keeping a far closer eye on the IndyCar scene in the future.

Yup, it's made a believer out of me.
Old 31 May 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1316249)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I've never been a been real supporter of open wheel oval racing, especially in the IRL guise and I generally skip the Champ Car oval races aswell. I watch the occasional highlights and the 500 when I can but it's never anything other than a very slight passing interest for me.

Now the problem I face is that last weekend changed my view entirely, I haven't seen such a tense and dramatic race for YEARS on any type of track so I'll certainly be keeping a far closer eye on the IndyCar scene in the future.

Thats exactly the type of response I was hoping to hear, and I'm sure the IRL wants to hear!

It seem's that the hardest part of growing IndyCar racing is getting people to sit down and actually watch it! When they do, most seem to think as you do, that the tension, drama, speed, and close racing is just dynamite stuff to watch. I have to believe there are many other's out there that feel as you do after watching this race.

Stay tuned for Texas, it's unbelievable!

And visit here often!

Danica Patrick
Old 31 May 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1316253)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar

Indy is Indy...and will always be a huge event...

But for the Best IRL racing action, PLEASE don't miss:

Texas (the night of June 11th)

Richmond (June 26)

Kansas (July 4th Weekend)

Kentucky (August 14th)

Chicagoland (in September)

If you thought there was drama and intense racing at Indy on Sunday (there was...but) those four races will multiply it far beyond what you saw on Sunday....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 May 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1316266)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim,

I agree, especially about the technical Richmond and the always exciting Texas. I will also check out Sears Point/Infineon and would love to see Watkins Glen. But the ovals, especially the technical ones, is where Indycar shines best.

Indy got a huge improvement int TV ratings over last year - thanks Danica. Lets hope it isn't just a blip on the radar, but something to build on. I think NASCAR is getting to be a "been there done that" for many American racing fans. The time is ripe for a revival in OW racing, but the challenge still daunting. But its a great thing, ball and stick jocks are talking on the radio about Indy, including the likes of John Madden.

At least today I am optimistic and enthusiastic about the future for the first time since 1994.
Old 31 May 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1316300)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw2
and would love to see Watkins Glen
The date for the Glen has a big, fat circle around it in my calender. Other than the Indianapolis 500, the race at the Glen will be the race for me as it is, by far, my favorite road course - sharing first place with Spa mind you - in the world. Can't wait to see what sort of improvements they have made to the track.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1316345)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To sgw2:

The story I've told about being surrounded by NASCAR fans at Kentucky, who were all NASCAR fans, should tell you what they think when they do attend....

Kentucky hosts a Busch race and the Trucks, but not the Nextel's big show...

I believe Nashville is the same way...No Nextel, but the support Series...

Places that do host NASCAR...that is their first love...but the Kentucky fans around me couldn't ask me enough questions...and in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a pretty vocal fan of open-wheel racing!!!

another Forum member went to Nashville and had the same story...Nashville was packed to the rafters, too...just like Kentucky was when I went there last August....

all asking questions and saying they had no idea the IRL was that fast and action-packed when it came to racing...

To Rustyfan:

I'd LOVE to go to the Glen...but it is in the middle of my football season, when I coach a Jr. High team...I WANT to see them run "The Boot"...and at Infineon... Glad they added the section I call the "inside of the Y" as opposed to running the cut-across that NACAR runs at Sears Point....

Some friends of mine (hard core open-wheel fans) are planning to make that trip...they weren't fond of the road course scenario...and I told them The Glen was the place to go...that was befoe St. Pete was added, and they changed their thoughts on Sears Point...

BTW...the Sears Point course they originaly announced before tests would have stunk....

I think Memphis would be another market they could hit...but make it somewhere in the schedule that is not close to Nashville...like maybe sometime in Mid-Late April...

It would give them a great 3/4 mile oval with room for 60,000+ race fans to enjoy great racing action...

Nextel doesn't go there...but Busch and the Trucks do...Those fans enjoy racing....if they are like Kentucky and Nashville, they will love the IRL...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1316383)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good post as usual, Tim. But don't you think that a 3/4m oval might be a tad dangerous for openwheelers? That's alot of laps, alot of corners...
Old 1 Jun 2005, 06:59 (Ref:1316449)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Good post as usual, Tim. But don't you think that a 3/4m oval might be a tad dangerous for openwheelers? That's alot of laps, alot of corners...
Memphis is actually exactly as long as Richmond, and quite similar when it comes to the shape too. Memphis has three degrees less banking (11 degrees) compared to Richmond (14 degrees) though.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1316457)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
To Rustyfan:

I'd LOVE to go to the Glen...but it is in the middle of my football season, when I coach a Jr. High team...I WANT to see them run "The Boot"...and at Infineon... Glad they added the section I call the "inside of the Y" as opposed to running the cut-across that NACAR runs at Sears Point....

Some friends of mine (hard core open-wheel fans) are planning to make that trip...they weren't fond of the road course scenario...and I told them The Glen was the place to go...that was befoe St. Pete was added, and they changed their thoughts on Sears Point...

BTW...the Sears Point course they originaly announced before tests would have stunk....
Yeah, that they will run the full course with the Boot is a major plus - I have the 2000 historic festival at the Glen on tape, and seeing the more high-powered vintage machinery go around the full track (and they weren't exactly taking it easy either) was simply wonderful. Had I lived on the other side of the pond I would easily have made the trip

As for Sears Point, I completely agree that the addition of the Carousel (which the inner section was called when NASCAR ran it, at least) is a major plus, and that is another race I'm really looking forward to - especially now that they have added a lot of grass (which surprised me a LOT when I saw some images from the testing), which makes the track look a LOT more 'scenic'
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1316466)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it so difficult to follow both NASCAR & the IRL?
I have no problem dividing my attentions between single seaters, sportscars & saloons
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1316480)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I have no problem dividing my attentions between single seaters, sportscars & saloons
For some it certainly seems that way. Personally, however, I watch just about everything that has either two or four wheels and an engine that you can race with. So, yep, Sunday was pretty packed for me (GP2, FIA GT, Formula 1, WTCC, Indy 500 & Coca-Cola 600, as well as taping the Silverstone WSBK races for later viewing.. yeah.. I'm a freak lol)
Old 1 Jun 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1316486)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's what Sunday's are made for
Old 1 Jun 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1316566)   #17
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
Unfortunately those of us on this forum who do watch multiple championships are in the minority. The success of NASCAR over IRL or CCWS has been in their ability to capture the floating spectator - those who will watch a few different sports but not variations within each sport (e.g. American football but college not NFL, motor racing - NASCAR but nothing else, etc).

Whether the IRL can continue the momentum will, IMHO, be dependent on how well they replicate the NASCAR model of getting fans excited about a particular driver. I'm sure we would all agree that the success of NASCAR is developing drivers as brands - so fans are Rusty supporters, Dale Jnr supporters or perhaps more recently Carl Edwards fans. They support that particular driver and their sponsors (which is really what has made NASCAR so successful because it is so valuable to businesses).

If a whole load of floating spectators came away from the 500 thinking they would quite like to see how Danica gets on the rest of the season, or (gulp) they would like to support Wheldon to the title, that is where the momentum will come from.

Within that core theme, from a marketing perspective, there will be requirements placed on the broadcasters, IRL as the promoter, associated sponsors and engine manufacturers to ensure that there is constant media chatter, coverage, advertising and positive print & new media coverage from now until Texas...and then on to the next round...and then on etc etc.

That's my 10 cents worth...

I do, however, hope that the success of Indy does not distract from the impetus towards unification... I think it would very dangerous for the IRL to believe it has suddenly turned the corner.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1316682)   #18
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SInce the race got good reviews and good viewership the rumor over at the IRL offices yesterday was that ABC was considering moving the Texas race from ESPN to ABC.
Knowing how inept ABC and ESPN are at times I'll wait untill the official announcement but I hope it's true.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1316693)   #19
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
From what I've seen of NASCAR theres a lot of agressive rivalry that I'm sure appeals to the baser instincts but which would be totally unacceptable in open wheel racing.
I prefer my overt agression on skates (thank god for the AHL )
Old 1 Jun 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1316701)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock25
I do, however, hope that the success of Indy does not distract from the impetus towards unification... I think it would very dangerous for the IRL to believe it has suddenly turned the corner.
To say the least.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1316784)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
SInce the race got good reviews and good viewership the rumor over at the IRL offices yesterday was that ABC was considering moving the Texas race from ESPN to ABC.
Knowing how inept ABC and ESPN are at times I'll wait untill the official announcement but I hope it's true.
This would be a big boost for Texas, no doubt about that, and it would go a long way towards keeping the momentum going.

The casual or non race fan won't know that the next IndyCar race is on ESPN, they'll think its on ABC again. Thats the problem with splitting a race series among different channels, people never know where, what time, or when a race is on! People need to know the W's, what, where, when, and who if your to grow a series. No other major sport splits themselves among different channels. I always know where to find the Jets, Yankees, or Ranger's.

If this is to happen, it's a no-brainer that ABC need's to start running those quick 10 second spot commercial's now, before Indy wears off, to let people know that Texas is coming, along with Dan and Danica! They really have an opportunity here, I just hope they do it right!

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1316808)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
You'll find most of the Rangers in Europe at the moment wont you ?
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1316820)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Memphis is actually exactly as long as Richmond, and quite similar when it comes to the shape too. Memphis has three degrees less banking (11 degrees) compared to Richmond (14 degrees) though.
Memphis is a nice litle oval, although I feel it would be to short for single seater cars, does good for NASCAR though, but NASCAR run at tracks like Martinsville.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1316833)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provided there's still an abyss between Indy500 and the rest of Indycar races, I think and hope that a progress may be made.
Much will depend on Danica's ability to keep her promises:here in Italy a long feature appeared on the first italian daily paper (Corriere della sera) all about Danica at Indy, not even mentioning who won.

IRL must take advantage of it, but they also have to get it just like a launch opportunity, cos the success of a racing series cannot depend on a single racer.

New paces ahead must be walked to ensure o-w racing a stable increase in the fans opinion.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1316846)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Get Katherine Legge in a competetive car so theres some girl on girl rivalry going on